News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Powerblock on Spike TV

Started by 70charger_boy, November 04, 2007, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger_boy

Has anybody actually went out and bought one of these setups that they whore themselves on TV to sell you?
Does the information they provide, actually useful?

I like watching Musclecar, but it is starting to lack alot of info and more commercials.  Even though I like Lou, I find his welding to complicated for someone like myself to follow

1FastCharger

I like the POWERBLOCK series too, but damn...everything is product placement. It is like watching one long Autozone commercial. I wish they would get more in depth with the technical stuff like welder setup..etc. I guess I could buy a book and read about it, but who has time to read?

I really got tired of the show with the guy who was ALWAYS doing Chevelles and the "Joe" dude. There cornball jokes got on my nerves.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

70charger_boy

The guy doing the Chevelle's is Chuck Hanson.  He is the #1 Guru when it comes to Chevelle's.  He left the show, because his son died and didn't have the drive to do TV anymore. I hear ya with all the cornball jokes and it does seem like a 30 minute infomercial.

Here is the link from Chuck Himself about his story
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113683

Rack

I too get annoyed with all the product pimping stuff, but you have to understand that all the "advertisement" actually is what keeps the show on the air.

JimShine

I have actually been on the set (all of those Powerblock shows film in a one big warehouse). It was made rather clear to me that at the end of the day, they are just advertising products. Content is based on what items they can push.

Ghoste

DodgeChargerNeeded

Hey there could a lot worse things on that time of the day. I would just as soon see muscle cars/truck then some off the wall movie or something.
Jeff

1FastCharger

Quote from: DodgeChargerNeeded on December 01, 2007, 09:48:37 PM
Hey there could a lot worse things on that time of the day. I would just as soon see muscle cars/truck then some off the wall movie or something.

Or another preacher with more money than God telling us to send him more.

Stroker ACE

I hardly ever post but seen you guys complaining about powerblock. Did you guys know Stacey David from the original trucks is back on TV?  His show is called Gearz and it's on either ESPN or ESPN2 "I can't remember which"  from time to time it is hit and miss right now between seasons but he is actually doing the show himself so it's his projects and not a bunch of product endorsements.

ACE

0X01B8

Most of the regular cable type channels have turned into complete crap.  I see stuff listed on the Science channel and think "oh, that looks interesting" and then remember that I'm going to be hit with 3 minutes of promos and commercials for every 5-7 minutes of content.  And then when they do finally get back from that they puke all over the bottom of my screen with even more promos!   :RantExplode:  Like the cigarettes Bruce Willis smoked in the 5th Element - 75% filter.

Wrecks to Riches isn't too bad.  American hot rod is just senseless drama and Boyd & Duane pushing the employees to work 20 hour shifts.  Motorweek on PBS is pretty good.

I've been downloading BBC Top Gear.  It's the best car show I've seen and every episode is actually 1 hour with no extra promos or garbage.  Mainly European cars though.

BrianShaughnessy

I don't really give a crap if the powerblock shows don't cater to the mopar crowd...   I know that they're product placement vehicles and all that anyhow.    I'm just amazed at how much some people complain about them.

I'm not gonna pitch a bitch cause the alternative is more stupid Flavor of Love junk shows.   Some people aren't satisfied with anything.   I just look at it as something to look forward to for 2 hours on a weekend.   

What's cool about Stacey David on his show(s) is that he at least tells you he's trying to get you inspired to do something on your own...   not just copy him.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

70charger_boy

Quote from: 0X01B8 on December 02, 2007, 05:47:53 PM
Most of the regular cable type channels have turned into complete crap.  I see stuff listed on the Science channel and think "oh, that looks interesting" and then remember that I'm going to be hit with 3 minutes of promos and commercials for every 5-7 minutes of content.  And then when they do finally get back from that they puke all over the bottom of my screen with even more promos!   :RantExplode:  Like the cigarettes Bruce Willis smoked in the 5th Element - 75% filter.

Wrecks to Riches isn't too bad.  American hot rod is just senseless drama and Boyd & Duane pushing the employees to work 20 hour shifts.  Motorweek on PBS is pretty good.

I've been downloading BBC Top Gear.  It's the best car show I've seen and every episode is actually 1 hour with no extra promos or garbage.  Mainly European cars though.

I agree and what is funny is that the networks will agree, too.  They won't change their format, because in the end it's all about the money.  I

I am actually considering doing a How-To Car show on Cable public Access, get a following, then produce it on the local network.

0X01B8

Quote from: 70charger_boy on December 02, 2007, 05:53:34 PM
I agree and what is funny is that the networks will agree, too.  They won't change their format, because in the end it's all about the money.  I

I am actually considering doing a How-To Car show on Cable public Access, get a following, then produce it on the local network.

They're afraid to offer 'ala carte' programming where we can just pick the channels we want.  Instead we're forced to pay for 50-100 channels of mostly shit and only watch 10-20 of them.

I'd watch your show.  :yesnod:  A lot of good shows got started that way, like Mystery Science Theater....

JimShine

I don't mind Powerblock. I wasn't all that happy when I found out what happens to the RTM owned vehicles. In the end its always good to have any sort of educational shows on TV, even if they have to sell stuff to justify it.

BTW, I was really shocked at how well equipped this place was for a TV studio. The paint booths, paint mixing room, dyno, milling machines, etc are all real. They are not props or brought in to make it look impressive. The place was a real, fully outfitted garage capable of doing any sort of auto work.

1FastCharger

I'd watch your show.  :yesnod:  A lot of good shows got started that way, like Mystery Science Theater....

Oh Yeah...MST was pretty good. The first time I caught it flippin through channels I thought,"What is this crap?" After one of my friends told me it was funny I watch one and was hooked after that....until Joel escaped.

Ghoste

I don't mind so much that Powerblock is an infomercial, my problem is that I don't the attention span to sit through the commercials that run to interrupt the commercial.  I don't watch much television in general because of that.

1FastCharger

On Powerblock the best technical show is Extreme 4X4. They always seem to be showing "How to do" stuff, not as much "What to buy" stuff.

I wonder if too much product placement was another reason Stacey David left. I know he was pissed from doing factory trucks that would later get crushed. He finally said he would never do another factory truck.

JimShine

They all get crushed. I was told the only exception was the stuff that belonged to Year One, but that was it. In a conversation with the owner of the whole shebang, I said "I bet you have an interesting collection of stuff that came out of here." His response was "I don't have one car from these shows. We crush everything. We have to to protect ourself from any potential liability".