News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headers at start-up

Started by Belgium R/T -68, December 01, 2007, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Is it to prefer to not use my new TTI cheramic coated headers when I start up
my engine for the first time to avoid miscoloring or is that not true?  :shruggy:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

terrible one

Sure is. When you break in the new engine it will get very HOT and WILL damage the ceramic coating.  :Twocents:

kamkuda

Agree, I broke my engine in with old manifolds and swapped in the TTi headers after.

Rack

Wow. I did not know that. Good info there.

Hmmm... since I didn't get an exhaust when I bought my 440, would I be able to use the manifolds from my 383 just to break in the engine? Don't want to spend almost 1K on headers jsut to ruin them before I even get to use them.

d72hemi

All BB exhaust manifolds will bolt up, so you could use the ones from the 383.

Rack

Quote from: d72hemi on December 01, 2007, 11:12:40 PM
All BB exhaust manifolds will bolt up, so you could use the ones from the 383.

:2thumbs:

Thanks. That should save me some money.

Chryco Psycho

As long as the carb is not lean & the timing is advanced all the way up as soon as it fires up there is no reason you will hurt the headers

firefighter3931

I would use the manifolds for breakin and once the engine is tuned properly (carb & Ignition) then drop the TTI's on and run it up for 5-10 minutes and shut it off and let it cool. Repeat a few times and you should be fine.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks all of you, it's very good to be able to learn "online" to save both money, timeconsuming doublework and headache!

// Per :2thumbs:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

tommymac

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 02, 2007, 09:33:13 AM
As long as the carb is not lean & the timing is advanced all the way up as soon as it fires up there is no reason you will hurt the headers
How will I know if carb is to leanor timing is all the way up.on my 383 rebuild.750 Eddy,Iron heads Comp XE274h cam .30 over.new flattop pistons all new springs,bearings,lifters,oil pump,etc.. Id rather just do it once,Install headers-Pipes.Any help.Thanks Tommymac