News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice to rebuild a 440 motor

Started by sixpack_sid, November 30, 2007, 10:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

Is there a book out anywhere to rebuild a 440 motor?? I need a book that shows step by step how to rebuild a motor since I've never done one before. When I bought the car, the motor was in pieces. Is it hard to rebuild?
Thanks!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Ghoste

I would suggest more than one but if it had to be only one, I'd start with the factory shop manual.  You can get reprints from the restoration supply places or you can get it on cd-rom from Chrysler. 

firefighter3931

Sid, there is an excellent publication for the novice engine builder by Don Taylor. All the basics are covered and it is an easy read with lots of pics and diagrams. Every mopar guy should have this book on the shelf.  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Big-block-mopar-engines-Don-Taylor/dp/1557881901

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dukeboy_318

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 01, 2007, 01:29:32 AM
Sid, there is an excellent publication for the novice engine builder by Don Taylor. All the basics are covered and it is an easy read with lots of pics and diagrams. Every mopar guy should have this book on the shelf.  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Big-block-mopar-engines-Don-Taylor/dp/1557881901

Ron

i bought this book and love it, id reccomend it defientely.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

john108

I just received my copy 2 days ago.  So far it looks good.  Also from Amazon.
I may be able to ask better questions now!
John

squeakfinder

:popcrn: 

That book helped me. But go to 440source.com to learn more. Just keep in mind, the book was copyrighted in October 1994.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

dukeboy_318

Quote from: rotsparts on December 01, 2007, 07:44:01 PM

:popcrn: 

That book helped me. But go to 440source.com to learn more. Just keep in mind, the book was copyrighted in October 1994.

that was the latest update, most of the info was from the 80s, my grandfather has the first version and its practically the same and printed bout 6 years earlier than the 94 series ive got, little differences but not much
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

squeakfinder

It's best to have something like a Motors manual also to check the specs. I know there are at least a couple of things that are wrong in that book.

It states on page 69 that .040 is the limit for overboreing the cylinder. And 1976 to 78 blocks can only be bored .020 over.
A myth thats been dispelled since the book was written.

I know there was a tolerance or specification on something that wasn't wright. I've been looking for it,  :think:  but haven't found it again.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Ghoste

The Mopar Performance engine manual and Chuck Senatores book "Big Block Mopar Performance" are also good to have.