News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plastic chrome on the Instrument Cluster

Started by 4aThrill, November 30, 2007, 08:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

The plastic chrome on the instrument cluster and vents, does anyone else do this besides auto instruments? Has anyone taken on this task to do it them selves either to paint it silver or chrome looking?

ChgrSteve67

I used this company to restore the dash in my 67.
Extremely happy with the results.

http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/

Here is there price sheet with pictures.
http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/Mopar%2018-20.pdf

Also
They do their work in Canada.
They have you send it to an address in Washington, they then drive it across the border so you don't have to worry about shipping it to Canada and back.
When its done they drive it back to the US and ship it back to you.
Amount of time will vary depending on where they are in processing a batch of parts.

How this helps.

8WHEELER

I have been having things done from him for over 12yrs, great guy, great work. A friend of
mine had him restore a hole 69 grille, that had busted parts, and needed repainted, looks better that new  :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

A local guy to me did mine and it turned out great.  Obviously he doesn't have a vacuum plater in his garage but he's extremely secretive about where he has been sending them (he's done dashes for all kinds of folks in town).  I have come to suspect in the last couple of years that he has been shipping them out to cv as well.  It's only a hunch but if it's correct, I'd sure be happy to be another one who will vouch for their work.

resq302

CV Vacuum platers did my dash as well.  Top notch work at a great price. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dodge Don

I had Performance Car Graphics do mine and they turned out fantastic.

4aThrill

thankx for the info, so no one has just painted there own to look like chrome or somthing like it?

Ghoste

I've done it years ago and I didn't find the results very satisfying at all.  I have seen it done by others though who had better results than when I tried it.  Can't tell you what the difference was between the two methods.  I used Testors chrome model enamel and a fine tip brush.  You could try it first and see how it turns out I suppose, but I still think you can't beat the actual vacuum plating.

4aThrill

Thankx Ghoste,

I was thinking something like a paint marker or something for temp for now probably send it off later when things are running smoother.

Ghoste

Paint marker may work okay.  When I got my bezel back from plating, the lettering wasn't done and I used a white paint marker to do that.

4aThrill

I would think that they would do the white lettering because how long it takes and how much money we put into it. don't you think so

Ghoste

Except that I had a kind of back door connection.  I'm fairly sure it was done by CV but it was a deal with a local guy who kept the source a secret.  It came back with the blacked out portions painted but I had to finish the lettering.  It was very "inexpensive" in my case.  :D

4aThrill

Always a good deal when it costs half or something like that

:Twocents:

472 R/T SE

I "think" most of these outfits who offer it as a secondary service send them to CV anyways.  At least that's what I was always told.  :shruggy:

Anyone ever end up sending anything to Jude's new employer?

4aThrill

update, got some before and after pics of some work on the cluster. the before pic I forgot to take but still turned out great I think but the other two pics are the after of course.

farmerjon

Big Sugar

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2007, 11:53:40 PM
A local guy to me did mine and it turned out great.  Obviously he doesn't have a vacuum plater in his garage but he's extremely secretive about where he has been sending them (he's done dashes for all kinds of folks in town).  I have come to suspect in the last couple of years that he ahs been shipping them out to cv as well.  It's only a hunch but if it's correct, I'd sure be happy to be another one who will vouch for their work.

Are you talking about Frank - the old guy in Chatham?

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 06, 2007, 01:01:52 AM
I "think" most of these outfits who offer it as a secondary service send them to CV anyways. At least that's what I was always told. :shruggy:

Anyone ever end up sending anything to Jude's new employer?

:-(

4aThrill

Quote from: farmerjon on January 28, 2008, 10:16:06 PM
so what or who did you end up using?

I used a Chrome paint marker, turned out great  :coolgleamA:

farmerjon

Quote from: 4aThrill on January 29, 2008, 05:03:54 PM
Quote from: farmerjon on January 28, 2008, 10:16:06 PM
so what or who did you end up using?

I used a Chrome paint marker, turned out great  :coolgleamA:
:smilielol: thats what i did as well 3.99 at home depot  so far so good

Ghoste

Shakey, yes I am.  Big Sugar, I'll get some.

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on February 04, 2008, 05:01:17 AM

Did you know that Frank passed away this past June?

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on February 04, 2008, 06:42:04 AM

Shakey called it too!!

Shakey

Quote from: Dodge Don on February 05, 2008, 06:43:58 PM
Quote from: Shakey on February 04, 2008, 06:42:04 AM

Shakey called it too!!

Let's meet for a beer one of these nights and I'll pull a Paul Harvey and tell you...............the rest of the story!   :pity: