News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this Charger book any good??

Started by 69bronzeT5, November 29, 2007, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

I've been looking at possibly buying this book. Its apperentley a step-by-step guide to restoring a Charger. Does anybody here own it and if so, is it any good? :shruggy:

http://www.amazon.com/Project-Charger-Step-Step-Restoration/dp/193199322X/ref=pd_sim_b_img_2/104-0311038-9760760
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Fitz73Chrgr

I have that book.  It is very informative.  Buy it.  :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

Colour photos and well laid out with tips on doing things in the proper order.  It is less about restoring a CHARGER than it is about restoring.  What I mean is that it won't tell you the precise way to duplicate the finish they used on fuel line clips at 1:30 pm on the second Monday of production, but they will tell you not topaint the engine after the car is one the road.  (those are illustrative examples btw  :smilielol:)
Well worth buying if you want a good restoration guidline or you just want a book with lots of cool pictures of a dissected 1970 Charger.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2007, 08:37:42 AM
Colour photos and well laid out with tips on doing things in the proper order.  It is less about restoring a CHARGER than it is about restoring.  What I mean is that it won't tell you the precise way to duplicate the finish they used on fuel line clips at 1:30 pm on the second Monday of production, but they will tell you not topaint the engine after the car is one the road.  (those are illustrative examples btw  :smilielol:)
Well worth buying if you want a good restoration guidline or you just want a book with lots of cool pictures of a dissected 1970 Charger.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

So is there any middle ground? By that I mean does it give you Charger-specific paint codes for various parts of the car or tell you how far back to go on the inner quarters with the texture, stuff like that?

bill440rt

Although I've never seen that one, the B-body Restoration Guide was also helpful. It lists many part #'s & such, although I've heard some of their references to part #'s are incorrect.
Also, it'll tell you to paint a suspension component "cast-gray," when an item was left bare metal. Not exact for an OE restoration, but a good guide for most street-resto's or a "restification."
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: bull on November 30, 2007, 01:04:04 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2007, 08:37:42 AM

So is there any middle ground? By that I mean does it give you Charger-specific paint codes for various parts of the car or tell you how far back to go on the inner quarters with the texture, stuff like that?

No, it is just a general resoration guide.  A very good one at that.  Not really too much Charger-specific information though.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Rolling_Thunder

I own the book along with the B-body restoration guide...     combined they make a great tool...        the charger book does not go into detailing and parts finishing as the charger is nowhere near 100% correct when it is completed...   if you are looking for the information like colors and paint codes then just ask on this forum - Troy, myself and others will help ya out   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HITMAN 149

i got it for christmas last year!!!  :2thumbs:
good readin!!!!!!!!!!  :cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

bsakal

69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

dukeboy_318

not to hijack the thread or anything but does this work well with third gen chargers as well? :shruggy:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Cooperman

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 30, 2007, 06:15:43 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 30, 2007, 04:27:31 PM
I own the book along with the B-body restoration guide...     combined they make a great tool... 
Is that this book?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879388897/ref=reg_hu-wl_mrai-recs

That's the one. I own them both too, and as Rolling_Thunder says they work great in combination.
It doesn't hurt to have a factory shop manual around either, even if it is an ebay reprint!  :D
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

darkfiire5000

I have that book and it is actually pretty good

JimShine

No one book will cover it all. You will end up with a library of books (and this should be one of them) and you will still end up here asking questions.

Chatt69chgr

I would have to second what 1969Chargerrtse says.  I have the book and it is interesting.  But I've found that the best source of info for our cars is right here.  And if I can't find the info by searching the site, all I have to do is ask.  It's like having the Greek Oracle at your bekon and call.

Ghoste

That's why everyone is saying that it isn't a Charger restoration guide though and merely a generic resto guide that happens to use a Charger for the photos.  Jim Shine has provided the best answer, this is one in a library of books you should read.

sdcharger

I like the book also and agree with everyone here that the book is worth the money but it doesn't even compare the the wealth of information and helpfull people here on this forum! :2thumbs:

Big Lebowski

Don't forget the service manual, that book is a wealth of knowledge. It's the only book with greasy finger prints in the Engine & Brake section. :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Rack

I bought that book. Read it twice. I liked it.

Still don't know wtf I'm doing though.