News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What can I expect from a 400?

Started by WH23G3G, November 29, 2007, 09:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

My 400 can in fact be rebuilt and reused in my 73. I've got two friends that are legit mechanics one that worked for the state and another a car dealer that's going to help me get the short block together and finally everything back under the hood. Probably by June, I will be able to at the very least start and move the car. I've got rebuilt, urethane suspensioin, 8.75 posi rear end, stock rebuilt 727. It was determined that my 400 that's .040 over can in fact just be honed and pistons re-used. It's a 76 truck block with a 73 cast crank. What I wanted to do was rebuild the short block using moly rings, and a slight cam, that will give me enough vacuum to still use A/C and power brakes. I'll be using a rebuilt carter thermoquad. I was going to use either the Edelbrock performer or Mopar Performance dual plane aluminum intake. I plan on running a stock distributor for now, I got a windage tray, high pressure oil pump, and I wanted to try the cast iron heads from Aerohead. Has anyone tried the Aerohead heads? What's the highest lift cam I can get that will produce enough vacuum to run my A/C and power brakes and work with the stock converter?

squeakfinder

I think you will need an adapter to install the Thermoquad on to a square bore intake.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

dukeboy_318

honestly if youre looking for power ditch the thermoquad and go with a holley epesically if you are going to an aftermarket intake or heads, personally i like this cam here

Voodoo Cam; duration in/ex 268/276, duration @ .050- 226/234, gross lift- .494/.513; pn number 60303

will work good especially if you go with aftermarket heads.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

squeakfinder

And maybe this one, allthough it is for a 383........

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29364.0.html

Depending on your cam choice, You may run into some detonation issue's if your stock distributor kicks in the full advance to soon.
Just another expense to think about down the road.

Larry