News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not for Sale & rotting -Cuda

Started by 4forty, November 29, 2007, 03:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4forty

Thanks to windstorm last week for blowing some of the tarp off. This car belongs to a lady who has owned it since new, I remember it around the area when I first got my license and now I'm old. It's a '70 383/auto all original 'Cuda. It's been sitting in her yard for at least 15 years after a tree fell on it lightly (not too bad) during a hurricane. I see her around now & then and always ask her if shes ready to sell but ALWAYS says no. I told her at least put a tarp on it which I would do for her but always says no thanks  (she finally covered it about a 3 years ago to keep people from asking her to sell  (me), She says she doesn't want to sell for sentimental reasons but admits it's rotting to the ground. Any other tips to try and get her to sell. she is a nice person but probaly getting tired of seeing me around and bring up the car......I hate to see it rot away but she's going to hate me soon.......anyone?

RD

BRING CASH TO SHOW YOU ARE SERIOUS...that will change her mind, and no, I am not being a smartass... i am serious as all get out. good luck!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

70 Charger RT

Drop by and offer to help do odds and endz around the yard or the house and get to know her better.  When the time does come for her to let it go, your chances of getting it are better than the next person (maybe).  Give it a try.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

moparstuart

All you can do is nicely keep at it . Hopefully one day she will crack. If you give up and stop pestering her thats when she will sell it out from under you.   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TruckDriver

Quote from: RD on November 29, 2007, 03:19:36 PM
BRING CASH TO SHOW YOU ARE SERIOUS...that will change her mind, and no, I am not being a smartass... i am serious as all get out. good luck!

:yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

4forty

I've offer cash over the years but she says she can't really part with it. It's a lawn ornament I guess

4forty

I'm not giving up yet.....

69charger2002

steal it. then show back up in a month or 2 with some cash  :angel:
seriously all you can do is keep doing what you're doing and hope for the best. just keep trying to be polite and not piss her off.  is she very old to the point she may go at any moment? does she have kids interested in it(that you know of)?
all that plays a factor. if none of the above really apply, then just keep being patient. hopefully she will respect your determination when she finally does come off of it
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Charger_Fan

Poor car, did the tree break any windows out of it?
When you've offered her cash, have you actually fanned out a big wad in front of her eyes, or just said "I'll pay you cash"? It's hard for a person to not re-think their stance when there's a big stack-o-greenbacks waived under their noses. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

0X01B8

Quote from: 4forty on November 29, 2007, 03:10:42 PM
She says she doesn't want to sell for sentimental reasons but admits it's rotting to the ground.

Go with that.   Tell her about how you'll save it from a cruel, rusty death.  You'll put it back the way it was, etc.  Don't even talk about money, that would insult her feelings about her car.  Work the whole emotional, sentimental stuff.  I don't really know - I'm just going with her lead.   :scratchchin:  You might have to sleep with her.   :laugh:

RD

Quote from: 4forty on November 29, 2007, 03:27:33 PM
I've offer cash over the years but she says she can't really part with it. It's a lawn ornament I guess

offering and showing are two different things though ya know?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

HITMAN 149

push her down the stairs!!!!!!!! then make sure there is a note on the fridge that says "Give cuda to that NICE kid who always helps me around the house and yard!!"  :D

hey.... all's fair N lOVE and Old MOpars!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

4forty

"You might have to sleep with her. " LOL!

Wow you guys are good, Great advice, I on it and keep ya'll posted on my progress

Dave22443

In the mean time, while you wait for her to crack, next time you see her just say:

"Hey, I know you love that old car and you don't want to sell it right now, but would you at least do me a favor?  If you ever DO decide to sell it, will you at least give me first dibs on it?"

Its a lot easier to get a commitment on something like that first.  She can yes easier for two reasons: 1) In her mind, she never intends to sell it anyway so whats the harm?  And 2) She may figure it will get you off her back.

Get that, then every time you see her after that you can just smile, wink and say, "Just checking."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

BigBlockSam

QuoteBRING CASH TO SHOW YOU ARE SERIOUS 

:yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Chad L. Magee

I would leave your contact information with her just incase she would want/need to sell it.  You might also want to mention that you would pay her in cash for the car because it means you are a bit more serious.  It almost looks like the one I found color wise, except that one is a 1970 318 Barracuda (Grand Coupe) still with the orginal owner.  I have first dibs on when it sells, as my grandmother is good friends with the owner.  Sometimes working family ties can help you get cars........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

JimShine

My thoughts:

What is more important here? Do you want to own this car or do you just want to save this car?

If you want to own it, then do as prescribed above. Stop by, help out with yardwork and stuff she can't do.

If you only care about saving it, then tell her you will neutralize the rust and get it running for her. Just tell her you would like to have the first chance at buying it when the time comes to get rid of it.

69bronzeT5

Could I please use the pics for my site?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Lots of great answers here.   Whats the key element here (besides rust) ?  Sentimental reasons.  That's what it will take.   Do not stop going over there, show the same love for it she has, talk about it, offer to help stop the weather issues etc... as you have .  Then consider  a joint deal, I've heard this work several times.   For whatever the sentimental reasons are for, that person if not her would love to see it restored, not rotting to the ground, offer to keep it in both names, between you two or something odd like that,  I used to stop by a house year after year, you want to sell your 57 Chevy conv yet?   Year after year I did this,  then I stopped.  I ran into the son of the owner one day and said, " What did you guys do with the Chevy"  My dad sold it, OH how much?  300.00   :eek2:  Don't give up, be nice , care as she does.  Good Luck.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

evil1

What I usually do, is put my name and number on a piece of paper and ask them to put it in the glove box of the car . And tell them  " That way if you ever get hard up for money or you see something else you'd rather have, you'll know where my numbers at. " It's worked a couple of times for me. I had a guy call me after 8 years and by that time I had forgotten which car he was talking about .

68charger383

She says she doesn't want to sell for sentimental reasons but admits it's rotting to the ground.

Go with that.   Tell her about how you'll save it from a cruel, rusty death.  You'll put it back the way it was, etc. 

Here's a story where the guy did that and it worked. http://www.geocities.com/my1968dodgecharger/

Convince her you'll bring it back to its original glory. If she still won't, go with the sleeping with her idea  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

I'd focus more on the reason surrounding the sentimentality and see if you can't coax her on that level. Just guessing I'd say a son or husband owned it and something bad happened to him. Maybe it's a son who never came back from Vietnam and she's still hanging onto it for him. I'm not saying that type of behavior is rational (if that's really what happened) but women do some strange things when they've been hurt.

Same thing happened back in my home town. A woman on the main highway had a '57 Chevy in the pasture down by her barn that once belonged to her deceased husband and she kept it out of "respect" for him. Every one who drove between the two main towns could see it plain as day from the highway and she was pestered all the time about it because she sold insurance out a small office out front. It sat there for probably 20+ years until finally it disappeared. I don't know if someone finally bought it or a relative got it but one day it was just gone. Point being, someone figured out a way to decode her and I suspect it was the guy with most patience and understanding who made her want to see the car rolling again.

This Cuda almost sounds like a good candidate for one of those restoration reality shows but they're probably too focused on celebrities to lower themselves to something like this. Are there any 'Overhaulin' type shows that cater to the average person any more? If so I'd pass the info on to them and see if they might take care of it. Otherwise you're just going to have to keep going back and start a dialogue about the sentimental reasons why she's letting it rot.

Charger_Fan