News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not for Sale & rotting -Cuda

Started by 4forty, November 29, 2007, 03:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4forty

Thanks to windstorm last week for blowing some of the tarp off. This car belongs to a lady who has owned it since new, I remember it around the area when I first got my license and now I'm old. It's a '70 383/auto all original 'Cuda. It's been sitting in her yard for at least 15 years after a tree fell on it lightly (not too bad) during a hurricane. I see her around now & then and always ask her if shes ready to sell but ALWAYS says no. I told her at least put a tarp on it which I would do for her but always says no thanks  (she finally covered it about a 3 years ago to keep people from asking her to sell  (me), She says she doesn't want to sell for sentimental reasons but admits it's rotting to the ground. Any other tips to try and get her to sell. she is a nice person but probaly getting tired of seeing me around and bring up the car......I hate to see it rot away but she's going to hate me soon.......anyone?

RD

BRING CASH TO SHOW YOU ARE SERIOUS...that will change her mind, and no, I am not being a smartass... i am serious as all get out. good luck!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

70 Charger RT

Drop by and offer to help do odds and endz around the yard or the house and get to know her better.  When the time does come for her to let it go, your chances of getting it are better than the next person (maybe).  Give it a try.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

moparstuart

All you can do is nicely keep at it . Hopefully one day she will crack. If you give up and stop pestering her thats when she will sell it out from under you.   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TruckDriver

Quote from: RD on November 29, 2007, 03:19:36 PM
BRING CASH TO SHOW YOU ARE SERIOUS...that will change her mind, and no, I am not being a smartass... i am serious as all get out. good luck!

:yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

4forty

I've offer cash over the years but she says she can't really part with it. It's a lawn ornament I guess

4forty

I'm not giving up yet.....

69charger2002

steal it. then show back up in a month or 2 with some cash  :angel:
seriously all you can do is keep doing what you're doing and hope for the best. just keep trying to be polite and not piss her off.  is she very old to the point she may go at any moment? does she have kids interested in it(that you know of)?
all that plays a factor. if none of the above really apply, then just keep being patient. hopefully she will respect your determination when she finally does come off of it
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Charger_Fan

Poor car, did the tree break any windows out of it?
When you've offered her cash, have you actually fanned out a big wad in front of her eyes, or just said "I'll pay you cash"? It's hard for a person to not re-think their stance when there's a big stack-o-greenbacks waived under their noses. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

0X01B8

Quote from: 4forty on November 29, 2007, 03:10:42 PM
She says she doesn't want to sell for sentimental reasons but admits it's rotting to the ground.

Go with that.   Tell her about how you'll save it from a cruel, rusty death.  You'll put it back the way it was, etc.  Don't even talk about money, that would insult her feelings about her car.  Work the whole emotional, sentimental stuff.  I don't really know - I'm just going with her lead.   :scratchchin:  You might have to sleep with her.   :laugh:

RD

Quote from: 4forty on November 29, 2007, 03:27:33 PM
I've offer cash over the years but she says she can't really part with it. It's a lawn ornament I guess

offering and showing are two different things though ya know?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

HITMAN 149

push her down the stairs!!!!!!!! then make sure there is a note on the fridge that says "Give cuda to that NICE kid who always helps me around the house and yard!!"  :D

hey.... all's fair N lOVE and Old MOpars!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

4forty

"You might have to sleep with her. " LOL!

Wow you guys are good, Great advice, I on it and keep ya'll posted on my progress

Dave22443

In the mean time, while you wait for her to crack, next time you see her just say:

"Hey, I know you love that old car and you don't want to sell it right now, but would you at least do me a favor?  If you ever DO decide to sell it, will you at least give me first dibs on it?"

Its a lot easier to get a commitment on something like that first.  She can yes easier for two reasons: 1) In her mind, she never intends to sell it anyway so whats the harm?  And 2) She may figure it will get you off her back.

Get that, then every time you see her after that you can just smile, wink and say, "Just checking."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

BigBlockSam

QuoteBRING CASH TO SHOW YOU ARE SERIOUS 

:yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Chad L. Magee

I would leave your contact information with her just incase she would want/need to sell it.  You might also want to mention that you would pay her in cash for the car because it means you are a bit more serious.  It almost looks like the one I found color wise, except that one is a 1970 318 Barracuda (Grand Coupe) still with the orginal owner.  I have first dibs on when it sells, as my grandmother is good friends with the owner.  Sometimes working family ties can help you get cars........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

JimShine

My thoughts:

What is more important here? Do you want to own this car or do you just want to save this car?

If you want to own it, then do as prescribed above. Stop by, help out with yardwork and stuff she can't do.

If you only care about saving it, then tell her you will neutralize the rust and get it running for her. Just tell her you would like to have the first chance at buying it when the time comes to get rid of it.

69bronzeT5

Could I please use the pics for my site?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Lots of great answers here.   Whats the key element here (besides rust) ?  Sentimental reasons.  That's what it will take.   Do not stop going over there, show the same love for it she has, talk about it, offer to help stop the weather issues etc... as you have .  Then consider  a joint deal, I've heard this work several times.   For whatever the sentimental reasons are for, that person if not her would love to see it restored, not rotting to the ground, offer to keep it in both names, between you two or something odd like that,  I used to stop by a house year after year, you want to sell your 57 Chevy conv yet?   Year after year I did this,  then I stopped.  I ran into the son of the owner one day and said, " What did you guys do with the Chevy"  My dad sold it, OH how much?  300.00   :eek2:  Don't give up, be nice , care as she does.  Good Luck.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

evil1

What I usually do, is put my name and number on a piece of paper and ask them to put it in the glove box of the car . And tell them  " That way if you ever get hard up for money or you see something else you'd rather have, you'll know where my numbers at. " It's worked a couple of times for me. I had a guy call me after 8 years and by that time I had forgotten which car he was talking about .

68charger383

She says she doesn't want to sell for sentimental reasons but admits it's rotting to the ground.

Go with that.   Tell her about how you'll save it from a cruel, rusty death.  You'll put it back the way it was, etc. 

Here's a story where the guy did that and it worked. http://www.geocities.com/my1968dodgecharger/

Convince her you'll bring it back to its original glory. If she still won't, go with the sleeping with her idea  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

I'd focus more on the reason surrounding the sentimentality and see if you can't coax her on that level. Just guessing I'd say a son or husband owned it and something bad happened to him. Maybe it's a son who never came back from Vietnam and she's still hanging onto it for him. I'm not saying that type of behavior is rational (if that's really what happened) but women do some strange things when they've been hurt.

Same thing happened back in my home town. A woman on the main highway had a '57 Chevy in the pasture down by her barn that once belonged to her deceased husband and she kept it out of "respect" for him. Every one who drove between the two main towns could see it plain as day from the highway and she was pestered all the time about it because she sold insurance out a small office out front. It sat there for probably 20+ years until finally it disappeared. I don't know if someone finally bought it or a relative got it but one day it was just gone. Point being, someone figured out a way to decode her and I suspect it was the guy with most patience and understanding who made her want to see the car rolling again.

This Cuda almost sounds like a good candidate for one of those restoration reality shows but they're probably too focused on celebrities to lower themselves to something like this. Are there any 'Overhaulin' type shows that cater to the average person any more? If so I'd pass the info on to them and see if they might take care of it. Otherwise you're just going to have to keep going back and start a dialogue about the sentimental reasons why she's letting it rot.

Charger_Fan

bull

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 29, 2007, 07:24:21 PM
Quote from: 68charger383 on November 29, 2007, 06:54:34 PM

Here's a story where the guy did that and it worked. http://www.geocities.com/my1968dodgecharger/
Linky no worky. :shruggy:

It did when I tried it 10 minutes ago and I looked at one picture but when I hit the back button it was kaput. :brickwall:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Can I use those pictures on my website.... no wait, that's for someone else.

It looks like a solid project.  I hope that someday you can pick the old girl up.  Cause you never know what you are going to find around the corner.

Ryan

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Devil on November 29, 2007, 09:28:33 PM
Can I use those pictures on my website.... no wait, that's for someone else.

what :shruggy:

The70RT

I'm not saying to do this but..........someone turned me in one time for having a non running car in my yard. A neighbor tipped me off. This guy previously asked about the car then came back after the city showed up.....I about kicked his ass. ......I just tagged it then ;D Actuall like some said....treat her kind. Mow her yard....blow her snow........just honey do's.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ACUDANUT

Just offer to have sex with her in the back seat and re-live some of her old memories.  :eek2: haha

Ghoste

If your intentions are NOT to flip it, make sure she knows that.

blackcharger

Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2007, 08:33:20 AM

:iagree: but also asure her it won't end up on ebay in a million pieces. and I agree that showing the $$ is more apt to move her than just offering.

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2007, 08:33:20 AM

No flippers. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

4forty

I gave her my Name and number a last year. The car was hers when she was younger, not kids or xhusbands. I think she has a daughter. Thanks everyone for all the tips. I'll keep trying. I'll go by this weekend with camera, It's supposed to be real windy,(maybe the tarp will blow off the rest of the way). and I can take more pics. The pics I posted were taken Tuesday. I remember it has the black interior, original yellow color, cuda lower gills trim, rally wheels, 383 tail stripe and cuda hood.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

moparstuart

4forty

you DIDN"T just see a flat-bed pull out of your yard....there was no yellow car on it.......

Ghoste

Do you ever go around and just talk cars with her?  Not try to buy it, just bench race about when she first bought the car or why you love Mopars, that kind of thing?  Establish a common ground?

4forty

Oh sure....I used to follow her around town when I was in my teens  in my beat-up '69 Charger when her car was flawless. Talked to her at the gas stations. She's real nice, just very sentimental ... OR ... maybe she's seen what 'cudas go for at Barrett-Jackson!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 4forty on November 30, 2007, 04:03:50 PM
you DIDN"T just see a flat-bed pull out of your yard....there was no yellow car on it.......

:popcrn:

Ghoste

Quote from: 4forty on November 30, 2007, 04:45:04 PM
She's real nice, just very sentimental ... OR ... maybe she's seen what 'cudas go for at Barrett-Jackson!

I imagine both which makes it difficult to try and guess what her price would be.  Even though I'm not a person who buys into the theory that everything is for sale, I do think most things are.  It can be hard to know just how $entimental she is though.  :icon_smile_wink:

rav440

Quote from: 4forty on November 30, 2007, 04:45:04 PM
Oh sure....I used to follow her around town when I was in my teens  in my beat-up '69 Charger when her car was flawless. Talked to her at the gas stations. She's real nice, just very sentimental ... OR ... maybe she's seen what 'cudas go for at Barrett-Jackson!

thats the problem , she thinks your a stalker   :icon_smile_big: JK . everyone has given you great advice . even the sleeping with her to bad  :icon_smile_big:
but really please dont give up , just keep talking to her asure her you not going to flip it . that you want to restore it and as long as she walks the earth you will keep the car . tell her when its restored that she will be the first to drive it .
ill bet someday you end up with it , its just a matter of time .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

GeneralLeeTESH

Arrive with an APRON on ! Announce to her (with lots of Old Spice on) that "kitchen bitch has arrived !"
Then tell her you'd also love to be her "pool boy". If she does not have one-tell her you'll be right back AFTER you buy a mini one @ WalMart.
Tell her you cook Hot Dogs (preferably Nathan's) and would gladly show her the bun !
Then get on your knees and tell her that you have Cancer or something like that. Self humiliation works wonders! (Just ask Mrs. Tesh my wife !) :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
The TESH

charge-it

Once you finally get the car will you sell it to me? C`mon! I`m going to bother you over and over like you`ve done to her until you finally give in.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

RT DAVE

What's wrong with flippers?  if they can are able to pry it from her grip isn't that better than it sitting there and rotting?   I flip lawnmowers mostly, so don't get on my case about cars...   I do have a listing for something that I haven't bought yet, however.  How's that for audacity?

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Ghoste

The best one to answer that would have to be her.  Without entering the flipper debate too much, I can only say that my comments regarding it in this case were by trying to analyze it from her point of view.  If you were letting a car rot for sentimental reasons (never mind the right or wrong of letting it rot) would you be more willing to let it go to the evil privateers who only wanted to unload the car quickly for a few measly coins?  Or would you be more willing to see it go to somebody who would love and cherish the car as much as you? :scratchchin:

GeneralLeeTESH

Herbie found "Flattie" for me to use as a PARTS CAR ! :scratchchin:
The TESH

The70RT

You mean there is some parts left?

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

ACUDANUT

Seriously. ask her if she would at least get it some proper protection fron the weather and thieves. Even if she does not want to sell it.  My Car tracking devices are comming, just in case.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 29, 2007, 11:29:18 PM
  Just offer to have sex with her in the back seat and re-live some of her old memories.  :eek2: haha
Oh that's funny.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Ghoste

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 01, 2007, 10:09:40 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 29, 2007, 11:29:18 PM
Oh that's funny.

Just remember that is rated on a sliding scale.  When I was 20, a 35 year old girl was ancient, now a 35 year old would be like cradle robbing.  Well, maybe not cradle robbing, but I'd sure be high fiving all my buddies and bragging about it.  :D

nakita7

I honestly don't know what to do in these cases. Been through this a lot over the last 25 years. Been working on a 71 Charger RT here for over 10 years now. Yes, you can say persistence pays off, but then, one day out of the blue, it's gone anyway, OR, by being persistent, you simply turn them off or make them mad. I basically just try the cash thing about once a year. If it's a Tuesday, a full moon and Oprah had a good guest on you'll get it....

blackcharger

Just remember that is rated on a sliding scale.  When I was 20, a 35 year old girl was ancient, now a 35 year old would be like cradle robbing.  Well, maybe not cradle robbing, but I'd sure be high fiving all my buddies and bragging about it.  :D

been there, done that. I was 20 and she was 35. loved every minute of it.  :D :D :D

ACUDANUT

Now she is what ..50 and what..about 250ilbs Hey. No problem there :eek2:

ACUDANUT

I know where a white 70 Charger R/T is and I have tried for many years to buy it.  He would rather let it rot than sell.  Too Bad it's not a single lady who owns it. :scratchchin:

blackcharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 03, 2007, 05:24:47 PM
Now she is what ..50 and what..about 250ilbs Hey. No problem there :eek2:

all depends on how bad you want that car.......... :scratchchin:

4forty

Windstorm last weekend blew off more tarp, not looking too good.

69bronzeT5

charge-it

Junk. Find another dream to dream about.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

moparstuart

Quote from: charge-it on December 04, 2007, 05:05:25 PM
not !!!  big block cuda   I'll take it

69bronzeT5

Quote from: charge-it on December 04, 2007, 05:05:25 PM

thats not junk! With the prices of E-bodies now-a-days....especially 70-71 Cudas, that car is worth alot even in that condition. It wouldnt be a bad idea to get it and restore it. :Twocents:

The70RT

Quote from: 4forty on December 04, 2007, 04:03:59 PM
Windstorm last weekend blew off more tarp, not looking too good.

Wow....needs saved bad. Keep workin on it. Frame rails are probably kinda scarry though.

Steve P.

Quote from: JimShine on November 29, 2007, 05:41:42 PM
My thoughts:

What is more important here? Do you want to own this car or do you just want to save this car?

If you want to own it, then do as prescribed above. Stop by, help out with yardwork and stuff she can't do.

If you only care about saving it, then tell her you will neutralize the rust and get it running for her. Just tell her you would like to have the first chance at buying it when the time comes to get rid of it.

My thoughts exactly.   Maybe she doesn't need money. Maybe she lost someone that the Cuda ties her to. Maybe you should talk to her about having you restore it for her.

Worst case, leave your info with her both something she can keep in a drawer AND in the car JUST in case she can't find the one in the drawer.  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Isn't that kind of how the Bloomington Ghost came to be in the daylight again?  (it's a low mileage 66 Hemi Charger of some notoriety in the fastback cult for those of you who don't know)

Dennis K

I agree that you should be as nice as possible to try to get the car, but if that doesn't work, you could call the city or local gov't authorities and pretend to be a neighbor complaining about the junk car in their neighbors yard, and maybe they'll send her a letter telling her she can't keep it there anymore, and maybe she'll decide to sell. I know it sounds like a dirty trick, but it's a crime to let that car sit and rot.

Charger_Fan

Geez, the first pics definitely showed it's better side. Poor car. :'(
Still worth snagging, though.

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

terrible one

I think it's "restorability" at this point would depend almost completely on the condition of the frame rails. If they're shot too, then I'd say it's parts or a huge and overly-expensive restoration project (but aren't they all?) However, if it's got good rails, then I'd say it would still definitely be worth the effort. :Twocents:

Magnumcharger

Quote from: terrible one on December 05, 2007, 12:09:41 PM
I think it's "restorability" at this point would depend almost completely on the condition of the frame rails. If they're shot too, then I'd say it's parts or a huge and overly-expensive restoration project (but aren't they all?) However, if it's got good rails, then I'd say it would still definitely be worth the effort. :Twocents:

Check the thread on the Barrellcuda.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

terrible one

Quote from: Magnumcharger on December 05, 2007, 02:47:19 PM
Quote from: terrible one on December 05, 2007, 12:09:41 PM

Check the thread on the Barrellcuda.

. . . which is a 440 six pac 4-speed car. > 383 auto

greatwn73

The70RT

Letting a car set outside with a tarp on it does just as much damage as one with one on it.

Dave22443

Quote from: The70RT on December 05, 2007, 07:04:39 PM
Letting a car set outside with a tarp on it does just as much damage as one with one on it.

Huh?   :-\

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

The70RT

Quote from: Dave22443 on December 05, 2007, 09:47:32 PM
Quote from: The70RT on December 05, 2007, 07:04:39 PM

Huh?   :-\

What I mean is to a certain extent, a short period is fine. When the car sits outside the temperature & humidity go up and down & the car will sweat covered or uncovered, and takes a long time to dry under whatever the car is covered with. The ground always contains moister and will rust the bottom and moister rises in evaporation and gets in interior also and molds. Winds whip the cover then leaves thin spots which eventually start rusting.

I got a car that was stored inside a non climate controlled garage since 1976 a few years ago. It was running when parked. It had rusted everything underneath the car including floors. The brake and metal fuel lines had rust holes are every few inches. When the concrete sweated so did the car. So a car that sat outside under a cover for a long time  :rotz: ..... :Twocents:

Steve P.

Maybe we should all have our say and ask nicely on here. Then you can print it out and bring it to her with all of us begging....   :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida