News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoration "Strategies": balancing budget, time and resources - what did u do?

Started by joflaig, November 29, 2007, 02:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

I'm curious amongst the members what approach you all took to restoring your cars. Depending on many factors we're all forced to take different strategies. I myself can't afford to strip the car, have it media blasted and re-painted on a rotisserie. At this point my "problems" are more body related than drive train or interior. So I've been doing things in a piecemeal fashion -- which also coincedently lets me drive the car once in a while! What I mean by this, for example, is when the engine is going out to be rebuilt that will be when the engine bay gets redone. Or I may take it in sometime just to have the full floor pans replaced and that's it for that occasion.

How many of you out there have gone through the time and expense of a one-shot full blown restore vs. a partial drawn out restoration?

Mike DC

How about a one-shot, total, AND drawn-out resto? 

I won't compromise on the end results, and I won't throw money at it unnessecarily, so the area that had to give in was the timeframe.  Been a bunch of years since I was last cruising the car and it's still not done yet.

This seems like a common situation in the old car hobby. 

Old Moparz

To be honest, I have no plan, no budget, no time, & need to think of something fast.   :lol:   I have had so many snags over the years in whatever plan I formed, that I just gave up planning to avoid disappointment. One car with one plan after another, had always managed to get screwed up by either an incompetent towing outfit, an incompetent body shop, or totally bad timing with funds. (House purchase, job changes, needed new daily transportation, kid, etc.)

Right now, my only plan is to fake my death, paint over the windows in the garage so nobody knows I'm there, & finish something with the insurance money.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger_Fan

So far, I've mastered the 'storage plan', I'm great at that...the other aspects of my resto, lets just say I'm still working on. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

When i restored my 68 i did everything i could myself and sub'ed out the rest.  I did all metal work myself and had the body shop do the mud and paint.  That was (and always is) the main cost in a restoration.  Once i got past that point it was reassembly and  :drive:  If you dont have a lot of time and/or money like the rest of us, i'd say drive it as is while you save up.  Thats what i'm doing with my next car. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

six-tee-nine

I choose a no compromise 5 year resto above a 6 months speed job.

No i'm not rich, right now my project is stored because i'm busy with rebuilding our house and i have no money aside for it. as i get along restoring her i will put my project on hold any time i run out of money cuz i will not cut corners.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Chatt69chgr

I decided to not get in a hurry and realized from the start that my project was going to multi-year.  So my car is sitting in the garage but has not been stripped.  I have taking some item off the engine and pulled the rotted radiator.  But my idea was to spend a lot of time researching the technical aspects of the restoration and identify all the parts I will need.  Then categorize the parts into hard to find.  I go after those first.  One interesting thing I have seen is the proliferation of "new" parts.  Places like BEA have stuff I never in my wildest dreams thought I woulds see reproduced.  My project is complicated by the fact that I am not just restoring a car but cloning a RT so I have to source a whole new drivetrain.  I'am also converting to power assisted disc brakes so that has been a challenge.  But I didn't start this project to get in a hurry.  I want to have fun and learn.  I have other hobbies so when I get tired of the car project I can jump off into one of those and come back when my enthusiasm has returned.  But I see nothing wrong in your approach.  At least you have a car to drive around---I don't.

suntech

like most others, i have no rigid timeframe or budget, but i want to do it right. Have spendt a lot of time seaching for the parts i want/need , and i want all the MAJOR parts in house, before i start. The car is a driver as it is, but will be a pro touring in the end, and there will be app 60K in the drivetrain and suspention/brakes  alone, so i need to do the rest right too.
Good part is that we dont loose value on the project, by beeing slow :2thumbs:. I will use the car as it is, coming summer, and start in the fall, tearing everything apart. HOPE to be back on the road again after 1 1/2- 2 years.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

JimShine

Don't rush. It will only result in having to do it over again down the road. You can rush the body only if you get it blasted and immediately sealed. You cannot rush a body that has rust issues. You will find yourself in 5 years needing more body work.

Rolling_Thunder

it will take years...    I have to keep reminding customers of this fact...     a full resto in our shop spans about a year...    unless you have to wait 10 months for Year One to get you your wiring harnesses....     A year is assuming the car is at a bodyshop for 4-5 months. We do not work on the car for a constant time every day as some things merely take priorities and sometimes customers request we slow down (billing reasons). 

As for your question - I would say just batton down and know you're in for the long haul. Do bodywork panel by panel if you want but ultimately the car should be stripped (of parts) and painted. if it takes you a couple years to save for that then so be it. IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO DO THINGS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND ONLY ONCE! this is something i have learned the hard way. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hemihead

I agree with taking your time. This is an expensive hobby but fixing mistakes or poor worksmanship because you were in a hurry costs more. Besides, this is supposed to be a hobby.I have owned mine 7 years now and it I am still gathering parts and doing some body work now and then.I have just as much fun working on it and my son's Charger as driving it.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

six-tee-nine

I saw restored cars where paint started to bubble after 2 years. Some guys kept their car but were unhappy with it and others sold it because they couldn't bare it and didin't have the courage to strip the car a second time to get it repainted.

I admit, my previous car had some paint bubbles too, so thats why i'm gonna pay even more attention this time to get rid of all the mistakes i made before.
Ever turned a key of a car after a 5 year resto job (did alll the work yourself)???
I did, so i know it's worth every penny and drop of sweat (sweat could better be measured in buckets than drops)  :smilielol:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

joflaig

What is generally considered the best restoration "guide" book for those of us who are not greatly experienced?

Khyron

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20822.0.html

one shot, stay focused, don't take any other projects on and do a little every other day. and you'll have her done in less then a year  :2thumbs:

Thats the only advice I have for you. I have A.D.D. and a family. and I was able to get her done using this method.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

dspaulding70

I started working on mine about 5 years ago on weekends and evenings.  I found out quickly that I had limited knowledge, and more importantly, limited time.  I did not really have a plan and just started working on the inexpensive things first.  Replaced gas tank, suspension, tires, wheels, floorboards, etc.  The car would drive but the transmission leaked constantly no matter how many times I tried to replace the gasket.  The rear end whinned so loudly that it sounded like it would fall out any second. 

Then came the kids and my car just sat in the garage (leaking transmission fluid) and pissing off my wife!

Finally, I had to make the choice (keep it and pay to have it done, or sell it)

I have decided to make the investment and took the car to a local restoration shop that specializes in old Mopars and Chevy's.  I decided that spending $30-40k on a my 70 charger makes more sense than continuing to by newer vehicles that depreciate so damn quickly.  Here is plan I have determined to be the best for me for what it is worth:

1.  Get rid of the 7 coats of paint and finally address all of the rust, etc.  MEDIA BLAST IS COMPLETE
2.  All body work is underway.  Donor car was located for necessary parts.  Exterior paint color selected
3.  Located 440 engine and 727 transmission (Currently being rebuilt)  Will be ready in January
4.  Conversion to disk brakes, new leaf springs, torsion bars, firm feel steering will be installed next

dspaulding70

Got a little finger happy when I got to # 5 which was to pay for it........

Anyway, I anticipate that I will be driving my vehicle by summer and very happy that it is done.

Good luck on yours.

bull

The problem with making plans is that reality often changes them. Quick! Someone make that into a bumper sticker.

Seriously, my project kind of goes in spurts or "pushes" as I like to call it. Basically, since I'm not a wealthy person I can only take on sections of the project as the money comes in and the only way "Charger money" comes in is when I work overtime, holidays, part-time, etc. Ergo, the only way I will farm out a $5,000 job is by saving $5,000 before that job starts. The biggest expenditure is the body and paint and I'll be very happy when that is finished because it costs a lot and you really don't see a lot of obvious progress. There is a lot of progress in body work, don't get me wrong, but quite often it's more clandestine than other portions of the project because it's like surgery. The guy may have had a triple bypass but he looks about the same as when the operation started as he does when the doctor closes him back up. I think once I can progress by spending $200-$300 per task rather than $3,000-$10,000 per task the project will speed up. At least my perspective of how it's progressing will improve... I think.

Khyron

Quote from: bull on December 01, 2007, 10:35:47 AM
The problem with making plans is that reality often changes them. Quick! Someone make that into a bumper sticker.

I have that bumper sticker, but it's worded a little different.

something like "$h*t happens" :lol:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

Quote from: Khyron on December 01, 2007, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: bull on December 01, 2007, 10:35:47 AM

I have that bumper sticker, but it's worded a little different.

something like "$h*t happens" :lol:

:lol: Yea, that's much more to the point I guess.

Big Lebowski

Wow, good reading. I agree with all of it, mostly because I've been through it a few times myself. Back in 1991 when I bought a junkyard '70 Charger R/T 440-6, I had two other projects, a '68 Charger R/T 4-speed & a '69 Charger R/T 4-speed...So I sat in the new project V code '70 Charger and said to myself..."Self, this is gonna take 10 years to finish this car."
   My only advise to you is...Do as much of the resto that you can yourself, because @ $75 an hour times 1 year of labor...well, figure it out. But remember, a straight car with a perfect paint job is going to cost at least $10k. I've got a '70 Roadrunner project now that's a money pit, lots of cash in it, just toss it in. :lolexplode:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

bull

Quote from: Big Lebowski on December 01, 2007, 02:54:32 PM
But remember, a straight car with a perfect paint job is going to cost at least $10k.

:lol: I wish. Definitely not if you farm it out. :eek2:

Khyron

Quote from: bull on December 01, 2007, 03:16:42 PM
But remember, a straight car with a perfect paint job is going to cost at least $10k.

heheh I was gonna say. Mine was a smidge more ;) and thats with ME helping.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

Quote from: Khyron on December 01, 2007, 04:25:37 PM
Quote from: bull on December 01, 2007, 03:16:42 PM

heheh I was gonna say. Mine was a smidge more ;) and thats with ME helping.

A 'smidge' more than $10,000 like about... $10,000 more than $10,000? :icon_smile_blackeye:

Lowprofile

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 29, 2007, 03:00:29 PM
So far, I've mastered the 'storage plan', I'm great at that...the other aspects of my resto, lets just say I'm still working on. ;D

Wow! You read my mind! I am realy good at storage! :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Khyron

Quote from: bull on December 01, 2007, 05:06:14 PM
A 'smidge' more than $10,000 like about... $10,000 more than $10,000? :icon_smile_blackeye:

Half way there. When the guys sat down and figured the time and material that it took to complete my charger. Without adding MY time and stuff I bought, we came up to around $15,000.

And my car was pretty solid.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.