News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

recommendations for my valvetrain

Started by hard-charger, November 29, 2007, 01:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard-charger

hi, i got  a set of stage 6 heads, i have the valves and adjustable isky rocker arms. but nothing else. just wondering if anyone can recommend a good valvetrain set up, springs retainers/locks etc.... and do those heads use the stock length pushrods?

cam is an engle solid kv3 intake, and a kv4 exh.

thanks all!

firefighter3931

The Stage VI heads use an offset intake rocker so the Isky's won't work.  :P

Harland Sharp makes an offset rocker set for those heads but it is spendy $$$

Check with Engle for the valvesprings for a recommendation on seat & open pressures for their cam. The Isky 8005 springs would probably be plenty for that cam....but check to make sure.  ;)

The Stage VI's are good heads but usually require lots of "correction" out of the box. Have them looked over very closely by a competent machinist.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hard-charger

dangit. I wasn't aware that they used offset int. rockers. they are used, & have had a clean up job with nothing more. but I was thinking of having them cleaned up again, the bowls blended & the intake & heads matched.
as for the retainers & locks what would be a good type to go w/? I was thinking 10° titanium. but have no experience in that field. & I have no idea who makes a good product for a good price.
is there anything else I'd need to buy? I saw these little boot things that go around the valve. I'm pretty sure those are neccesary. & what gasket would you recommend w/ these heads?
thanks again!!

firefighter3931

I don't think you really need a titanium retainer....chrome moly with 10* hardened locks will be fine, inmo. Comp Cams has what you need. :2thumbs:

Yes you will need valveseals installed   ;)

What engine are these going on ? The stage VI's have a raised intake port so if you use them on a 440 you need spacer plates to bolt on the intake manifold. If you are using them on a lowdeck 383-400 block then you can bolt a 440 width (RB) manifold directly on. That's a nice feature if you're building a lowdeck stroker but a PITA if you're using them on a 440.  :P

As for head gaskets ; the felpro 1009's will work fine.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hard-charger

thanks!
these heads are going on my charger;

engine, 440 .30 over 10.1 comp.
cam, engle kv3/kv4
2x4 600's on a tunnel ram
hooker super comps 1 7/8 into 3in. x pipe w/ cutouts after the x.  and 3in x 12in. glasspack
727 manuel valve body, super street fighter TQ (i think 3800 stall)
8 3/4 489, 4.10 detroit locker

i have the spacers and they do look like they can be pain..
thanks again!
would anyone know of any good machinest in the sf bay area?

firefighter3931

Quote from: hard-charger on November 30, 2007, 08:22:03 AM
thanks!
these heads are going on my charger;

engine, 440 .30 over 10.1 comp.
cam, engle kv3/kv4
2x4 600's on a tunnel ram
hooker super comps 1 7/8 into 3in. x pipe w/ cutouts after the x.  and 3in x 12in. glasspack
727 manuel valve body, super street fighter TQ (i think 3800 stall)
8 3/4 489, 4.10 detroit locker

i have the spacers and they do look like they can be pain..
thanks again!
would anyone know of any good machinest in the sf bay area?

H-C....that looks like a very strong build !  :2thumbs:

In your area i would contact Mopar Engines West and have them look the heads over. They are a Mopar Specialty shop and do outstanding work  ;)

Ron