News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

80's bands-flash in the pans

Started by 69CoronetRT, November 28, 2007, 12:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FastCharger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 28, 2007, 11:50:47 PM
The only 2 that come to mind is:

Radar Love- Golden Earring
Born To Be Wild- Stephenwolf

Golden Earing had Twilight Zone too.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

Manfred318

Born to be Wild came out in 1968. Steppenwolf also did "Magic Carpet Ride" which was a big hit in 1968. Radar love cane out in '73. Golden Earring did have a hit with "Twilight Zone" in '82

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

1FastCharger

Ohhh How about RIOT....SWORDS & TEQUILA for 1981s Fire Down Under.....

I live in San Antonio Texas. Back in the eighties San Antonio was the "Heavy Metal Capitol" of the world. The local rock station had a DJ named Joe Anthony that had a night time show that played a bunch of killer rock & metal music. Many bands got their start through Joe Anthony. I always stayed up studying and listening to his show. Sadly he passed away in the mid 90s and the metal here dies too.

http://www.sanantoniorock.com/zachhammock/joe%20anthony%20obit.htm

Manfred318

Quote from: 1FastCharger on November 29, 2007, 12:02:37 AM
Ohhh How about RIOT....SWORDS & TEQUILA for 1981s Fire Down Under.....
:iagree: Great song :yesnod: Outlaw is a good one too.
Any body ever listen to Tyrant? They are from L.A or the Bay area I believe. I wish I could find some of their albums, because Ive only heard a few of their songs, and would like to hear some more.
Tyrant-Too Late to Pray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgbhYgVY7o

Current MoPars:

TruckDriver

Quote from: 1FastCharger on November 28, 2007, 08:04:19 PM
Maybe this thread should be called "Great 80's Bands - what happened to them"

KROKUS - One of my favorites. They have been around a long time and are still recording new albums. The good thing is they still have the same sound. The newest CD is called HELLRAISER.

SAXON - They had a bunch of hits in the 80s. They are still going strong. I just got a new CD/DVD. I watched the DVD and DAMN that dude looks old, but he can still sing!!

CONTRABAND - True one hit - ALL THE WAY FROM MEMPHIS - nothing else.

WAPS - I loved BLIND IN TEXAS. Blackie is still recording new stuff.

PLANET P PROJECT - Why Me? - Good song - not much else from them.

XYZ - Inside Out & What Keeps Me Loving You. They just had a new CD not too long ago.

URGENT - I Can't Take it No More - I looked for this CD for a long time and it cost me $65. They were most famous for having a track on the Iron Eagle soundtrack.

KROKUS- I used to have all their cds. Now I just have one that I burned with all my favorite song by them ("Flyin' High" is my all time fav. by them)

SAXON - I don't remember to much from them, by recently I just heard "Broken Heros", and well, needless to say, I now have a copy :yesnod:

CONTRABAND - Now here is one I forgot about! And ya, except for the one song, the rest of the cd was :eek2:

WAPS -  :lol: I think you mean WASP

PLANET P PROJECT - I mentioned them in my long post. They had a few hits off two albums I still have a lot of stuff by them and Tony Carey (lead singer)

XYZ - I mentioned them too with some other songs that you didn't.

URGENT - I have the record with "Running Back" on it which was big.

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on November 28, 2007, 09:04:38 PM
SAVATAGE "Hall of the mountain king......" :cheers:

"Edge Of Thorns" was awsome too!

Quote from: 1FastCharger on November 28, 2007, 11:58:57 PM

Golden Earing had Twilight Zone too.

Yup, the only two hits they ever had. I like "Twilight Zone" But the other, not so much :eek2:

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

1FastCharger

I don't know if someone mentioned them or not, but what the hell happened to Guns & Roses. That new album Chinese Democracy has been due out for years now.

Also I was looking through more CDs. Someone mentioned Black & Blue - Hold on to 18 also I Want it All and Does She or Doesn't She were great songs.
I found a few more Brighton Rock CDs with the songs Can't Stop the Earth from Shaking and Who's Foolin Who. Two pretty good songs.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1FastCharger on November 30, 2007, 12:41:20 AM
I don't know if someone mentioned them or not, but what the hell happened to Guns & Roses. That new album Chinese Democracy has been due out for years now.

Also I was looking through more CDs. Someone mentioned Black & Blue - Hold on to 18 also I Want it All and Does She or Doesn't She were great songs.
I found a few more Brighton Rock CDs with the songs Can't Stop the Earth from Shaking and Who's Foolin Who. Two pretty good songs.

axle is wacked !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

remta1

doro  :drool5: quite a weehoney in the day she had a song called "all we are " ... a real beer spilling ,vein popping rock anthem if i ever heard one

msg ( not the type in chinese food ) although they both have sort of dissapeared

saxon were scheduled to play in australia after there japanese tour  of all places  but have had to cancel  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

1FastCharger

Quote from: remta1 on December 01, 2007, 08:55:16 PM
doro  :drool5: quite a weehoney in the day she had a song called "all we are " ... a real beer spilling ,vein popping rock anthem if i ever heard one

msg ( not the type in chinese food ) although they both have sort of dissapeared

Michael Schenker Group released Tales of Rock & Roll in 2006.

Doro has a new CD out right now called Warrior Soul. It is pretty good.

I have been doing some diggin on SLADE. I did not realize just how many songs of theirs that Q.R. used: Mama We're..., Cum on..., Stomp Ur Hands....,Sign of the Times.
I also forgot about Ooh La La in LA. It was another popular one in the 80s.

TK73

This thread reminds me of how much the 80's sucked;  Sheety cars, hair bands, Presidents... therez a little over 3600 days of my life I'd like back.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Mike DC

The funny thing is that "the 80s" didn't die until at least 1992.  Maybe even '93 or '94 in some ways. 

TruckDriver

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 02, 2007, 03:02:04 AM
The funny thing is that "the 80s" didn't die until at least 1992.  Maybe even '93 or '94 in some ways. 

Thant's why I mentioned a lot of bands from the early '90s in my long post.

And for that matter, their are still a lot of bands that still are making music in the '80s style sound (Known as Melodic Rock or AOR Rock). You just need to know where to look for them. It is still a popular sound in many many countrys like the U.K. & Germany, etc. Pink Cream 69 is a good example of that. Look at these places that sell a lot of imported '80s sounding rock. This is where I buy '90% of my music now...

www.nehrecords.com
www.aorheaven.com
www.impulsemusic.com

In fact, you will be suprized to see how many '80s bands are still making albums. They just don't get any radio play any more. Night Ranger just put out a new cd for example. It totally sucks that the radio stations that play 80s rock only play the 20 or 30 year old stuff that honestly, is getting boring to me from hearing it forever. Thats why when I'm near the computer, I usually listed to www.knac.com most of the time. Just to hear newer stuff once in a while (like Blue Oyster Cult)
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

1FastCharger

Quote from: TK73 on December 02, 2007, 12:09:37 AM
This thread reminds me of how much the 80's sucked;  Sheety cars, hair bands, Presidents... therez a little over 3600 days of my life I'd like back.

What country did you live in during the 80s? It does not sound like the US.

Crappy cars? Sure they were not all great, but there were a lot of advancements during the 80s. Many advances in fuel economy and safety that we enjoy today. How many people remember having to adjust your choke everytime the seasons changed or pumping the gas to start and letting it warm up? Also let's not forget that Chrysler would not even be around today if it were not for their "crappy" K cars and the mini van. Ford had the F150, Taurus and Fox body Mustang. I don't care for GM, but I'm sure they had something too.

A lot of people always try to compare the old to the new. Many don't like the new Challenger. "It is not the same....They did this or that wrong." In reality it will be safer, more fuel efficient, more comfortable to drive and faster than the Challenger from the 70s. In another 30 years we might be saying "WOW, that 2008 Challenger was a great car. Too bad they don't build them like that anymore."

Hair Bands - Ok either you like this music or you don't - it is all personal preference. I cannot stand Rap or country music. Sure there may be a song here or there that is OK, but for the most part I don't listen to those music types.

President - Ronald Reagan was president during almost the entire 80s. He has been the best president we had in the last 40 years. ( enough said I don't want this thread locked)

Brock Samson

TruckDriver

There are a lot of people that don't like the 80s. I loved them personally. I even like a lot of 80s cars. Me & my girlfriend want a '86 Monte Carlo SS to redo. And my oldest son wants a '80s Camero someday.  I don't care for the late '90s music at all, i.e. Grunge :eek2:
PETE

1FastCharger

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on December 02, 2007, 05:54:34 PM
There are a lot of people that don't like the 80s. I loved them personally. I even like a lot of 80s cars. Me & my girlfriend want a '86 Monte Carlo SS to redo. And my oldest son wants a '80s Camero someday.  I don't care for the late '90s music at all, i.e. Grunge :eek2:

I don't car for GMs, but those Monte Carlo SSs did look good. As long as it did not have the aero glass. There whas a white one down the street from me. It was a really cool car. One day I came home and it was covered up. I wondered what was up with that and found out someone ran a red light & he Tboned them. The car was totaled.

Another GM I would not mind owning is a Grand National. I really like the one on the new show LIFE.

Ditto on grunge ---- It suck ba**s!!!

69CoronetRT

Geezze  rock and cars do go hand in hand. Start with one and get to the other....

Meanwhile back on track............

Anyone remember seeing "Decline of Western Civilization: The Metal years" or some such title. It chronicled the emergence of metal bands. Lots of good early footage of some bands that later attained some notoriety. I think I still have a copy of it somewhere....
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Manfred318

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on December 02, 2007, 09:21:17 PM
Geezze  rock and cars do go hand in hand. Start with one and get to the other....

Anyone remember seeing "Decline of Western Civilization: The Metal years" or some such title. It chronicled the emergence of metal bands. Lots of good early footage of some bands that later attained some notoriety. I think I still have a copy of it somewhere....
Yep that was a pretty cool film. I have that one on DVD somewhere around here. Theres also one called "Metal: A Headbangers Journey" that came out a few years ago and is a realy cool film. They still cant beat the ultimate 80's metal movie "This Is Spinal Tap"

Current MoPars:

BMOTOXSTAR

Yeah,
  The guy from WASP is all wasted floating in some rick man's pool floating on a floatie, being interviewed all smashed while his mom is there. It was kinda' freakin' queer if ya' ask me. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Manfred318 on December 02, 2007, 10:19:38 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on December 02, 2007, 09:21:17 PM

Yep that was a pretty cool film. I have that one on DVD somewhere around here. Theres also one called "Metal: A Headbangers Journey" that came out a few years ago and is a realy cool film. They still cant beat the ultimate 80's metal movie "This Is Spinal Tap"

:2thumbs:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Mike DC

One thing about the modern music scene that really cracks me up is the "hard-living" image that so many of these current stars get.  It's being said about rockers, but it's even more hyped up with so many rap stars nowadays. 

These guys are talked up for being so dangerous and high-living?  Just because they sit in the back of a limo with a couple of strippers and smoke some weed? 

Getting arrested or even shot doesn't automatically mean you're a gangsta or a hard partier.  It just means you got caught once or twice.  Any loser can do that.  Somebody like Ozzie or Nikki Sixx (back in their respective primes) sure could have shown these modern stars a thing or two about being degenerate/indulgent/self-destructive.   

1FastCharger

I went to Best Buy earlier today looking through CDs and what did I find??

A NEW MANOWAR CD!!!! One more 80's metal band that is still around.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 02, 2007, 11:31:06 PM
  Somebody like Ozzie or Nikki Sixx (back in their respective primes) sure could have shown these modern stars a thing or two about being degenerate/indulgent/self-destructive.   

Ha...just got done reading Sixx's "Heroin Diaries". That dude was one crazy, self loathing motherfugger hell bent on doing himself in.  :o
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TruckDriver

Quote from: 1FastCharger on December 03, 2007, 12:19:46 AM
A NEW MANOWAR CD!!!! One more 80's metal band that is still around.

Dirty Looks has a new cd out too. It goes back to their 80's roots. It's really good.

Go here http://www.nehrecords.com to the cd section, then in the "D" section, look up Dirty Looks - "Gasoline" They have samples of the songs you can play. The song "Through Your Eyes" kicks ass!

I buy like 75% of all my cds now from these guys. I also bought the new Kim Mitchell - "Ain't Life Amazing" cd from them. The cd is also very good. A little darker then most of his previous stuff. But still very good!
PETE

Ghoste

I didn't know Kim had much of a following in the US.  I'm impressed.