News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Enclosed Car Transportation Recommendation?

Started by Black and Blown, November 27, 2007, 02:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black and Blown

Hey guys... kind of a weird post, but I did a search and found nothing.  Here's the thing... I'm considering buying a car from a dealer in California.  I live in Cleveland.  (It's a particular car that I can't find very many places)

Anyone know of a reliable company that could move a nice car in an enclosed trailer?  Thank you!

68charger383

The obvious is DAS. I've used them...not cheap

You can also try Uship.com and get a bid

Another thing to try is on Moparts under transportation services http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=transport
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

kylem4711

das is horrible, do not use them.

also what kind of car?
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

Black and Blown

Quote from: kylem4711 on November 27, 2007, 09:53:28 PM
das is horrible, do not use them.also what kind of car?

Mercedes CLS 500 

Bad azz car, imho.

OldGuy

I would highly recommend Passport Transport.  We had Passport move our two Chargers down from Seattle to Salt Lake City.  They came to our doorstep, loaded them up, and gave us their route and itinerary.  They said it might take three days to get the SLC, but they were there the next day – delivered the cars to our doorstep.  They didn't shift the cars around and were totally professional.

Stay away from DAT (Dependable Auto Transport) - they were a total nightmare.  I used a DAT open carrier to ship my 1972 Monte Carlo down to SLC.  First of all, I had to drive the Monte from Kirkland, WA to Tacoma, WA (50 miles) to their hole-in-the-wall shipping lot.  It sat there for 5 days until a carrier was coming through.  They dropped it in Hawthorne, CA for a week and 13 days later it finally ended up in their crapo lot in SLC.  I paid extra for a top load.  When I picked it up there was a puddle of transmission fluid on the hood.  They tried to convince me that it was transported on top but the car in front of it was overhanging it – thus the tranny fluid – BS!!

The price for the closed carrier via Passport was about the same as the DAT open carrier.

I'll bad-mouth DAT any day to anyone for the way they handled my Monte Carlo.

See photos on the following thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4614.0.html
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

cudacharger

bill440rt

Horseless Carriage, located here in Paterson, NJ.
Without a doubt. I've used them, & friends of mine have used them. Very professional.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Slowpoke

I will second the Passport vote, when I was working for a custom car builder
I used them to tramport our cars to Sema each year and they were very
professional and reliable.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

moparchris

I have used Reliable Transporters several times with great results, door-to-door service, friendly etc...  They have a depot here in Phx, which is close to L.A.

bzabodyn

1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

chargerman68

is there a rental company that rents 2 car trailers????
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

1969chargerrtse

Man O man.  :rotz: I used DAS from CA on my ebay Charger.  I called them in CA and said "make sure you do not strap the frame down with a chain as it will tear the thin unibody sheet metal underneath."  Oh no we won't, we tire strap them down."   Well when I got it in Ct, it had 5 tears in the frame from the chains on the frame.  I took it to a body shop, they said 500.00, DAS sent me 250.00 because of INS deductable.  Basically I got screwed. :yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

twenty mike mike

I sold a car to a guy in FL, who hired Fedex Custom Critical Passport to ship it from San Diego. I guess that's the same Passport the other guys mentioned. I had no trouble negotiating the pickup time based on my schedule. The driver showed up on time with a courtesy call the day prior and a couple of hours prior. The new owner was very pleased with the delivery. Dunno how much they charged since the buyer handled all that.

SnoPro440

I used Blue Highways to transport mine from Colorado to Minnesota.  They did door to door delivery, were on time and did not mess up my Charger.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

Charger_Fan

Quote from: OldGuy on November 27, 2007, 10:18:22 PM

See photos on the following thread:

I see my town isn't the only one who's mailman drives a plain-Jane Cherokee. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

AutoRust

We always use Fed Ex Passport , great service, and reliable.
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TUFCAT

I have the same problem from the hold down chains ripping through the holes in the frame on my virgin Coronet...... I used Kiwi Karriers from Seattle to Michigan. BIG mistake...

Steve P.

I would rather pay someone to drive it, put it on an open hauler, yank the shaft and dolly it or just plain fly to it and drive it back on my own than trust 90% of the trucking companies out there.. I have seen the damage to our beloved old beauties over and over, but I have also seen major damage to brand spanking new car AND TRUCKS..... 

It isn't always the trucking company, though some have records that are much worse that others, it is also the driver of the truck that does the rigging.  A so called pro told me once that if it is going on the bottom it is going to be held down with "T" locks...  If you look back a few posts you will see a frame that looks like someone set that car on an aircraft carrier. Hooked to the frame and tried to catapult it off the ship...  Well, that, my friends, was caused by a "T" lock.  This is a special contraption on a rigging chain to lug down a car frame.  These are especially used when the car is on a lower deck to make sure the car does not bounce up and damage it's own top or anything above it. This is also used by lazy azzed riggers. These are fine on most truck frames as they are much thicker steel. Someone uses one of those things on my baby and when they wake up they will need to hunt for their teeth..

The best advice I can give is to do your home work. This is a good start. Asking people you trust normally gets you pointed in the right direction.    When you think you have narrowed it down to just a hand full of places:

1) Do a google search of their name. See if their are many people bitching about them and what the complaints are. Maybe even get in touch with them..

2) See if they have a web site showing their trucks/trailers. How they load. Stack and so on.

3)  Ask them how they rig.

4) Ask about their accident record.

Above all,     DON'T be afraid to ask questions....

When the day comes that it is being picked up. Make sure that someone is on the PICK UP end with a good camera and that days newspaper. Take pics. of the car. Every corner. Front, back, both sides and every possible overall panel. Also try to get a pic. of the guy picking up the car. It's allllllllways a good thing to let him know you are documenting everything and he is included. Now he wants to MAKE SURE nothing happens to that car.  ;)  This needs to be done on the other end as well. So once the car is on it's way from point "A" to point "B" the pics. from the starting point can be sent to you for you to drool over.. Also you will have a real good idea what angles to take your shots for later comparison (IF NEEDED).   Take the same shots and take piles of them. You can allways dump them later. But again, get the guy driving the rig and unloading your car. Get some shots of where it is inside the trailer...

Now, for all of you who think this is a case of PARANOIA, call any classic auto insurance company and ask about transportation insurance.. Or call that guy in Texas that lost his car when the trailer became a barrel. The more documentation you have the more ammunition you have IF/WHEN you have to fight..

Don
t go to a gun fight with a stick...  :poke:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Steve P. on November 30, 2007, 08:57:11 PM
I would rather pay someone to drive it, put it on an open hauler, yank the shaft and dolly it or just plain fly to it and drive it back on my own than trust 90% of the trucking companies out there.. I have seen the damage to our beloved old beauties over and over, but I have also seen major damage to brand spanking new car AND TRUCKS..... 

It isn't always the trucking company, though some have records that are much worse that others, it is also the driver of the truck that does the rigging.  A so called pro told me once that if it is going on the bottom it is going to be held down with "T" locks...  If you look back a few posts you will see a frame that looks like someone set that car on an aircraft carrier. Hooked to the frame and tried to catapult it off the ship...  Well, that, my friends, was caused by a "T" lock.  This is a special contraption on a rigging chain to lug down a car frame.  These are especially used when the car is on a lower deck to make sure the car does not bounce up and damage it's own top or anything above it. This is also used by lazy azzed riggers. These are fine on most truck frames as they are much thicker steel. Someone uses one of those things on my baby and when they wake up they will need to hunt for their teeth..

The best advice I can give is to do your home work. This is a good start. Asking people you trust normally gets you pointed in the right direction.    When you think you have narrowed it down to just a hand full of places:

1) Do a google search of their name. See if their are many people bitching about them and what the complaints are. Maybe even get in touch with them..

2) See if they have a web site showing their trucks/trailers. How they load. Stack and so on.

3)  Ask them how they rig.

4) Ask about their accident record.

Above all,     DON'T be afraid to ask questions....

When the day comes that it is being picked up. Make sure that someone is on the PICK UP end with a good camera and that days newspaper. Take pics. of the car. Every corner. Front, back, both sides and every possible overall panel. Also try to get a pic. of the guy picking up the car. It's allllllllways a good thing to let him know you are documenting everything and he is included. Now he wants to MAKE SURE nothing happens to that car.  ;)  This needs to be done on the other end as well. So once the car is on it's way from point "A" to point "B" the pics. from the starting point can be sent to you for you to drool over.. Also you will have a real good idea what angles to take your shots for later comparison (IF NEEDED).   Take the same shots and take piles of them. You can allways dump them later. But again, get the guy driving the rig and unloading your car. Get some shots of where it is inside the trailer...

Now, for all of you who think this is a case of PARANOIA, call any classic auto insurance company and ask about transportation insurance.. Or call that guy in Texas that lost his car when the trailer became a barrel. The more documentation you have the more ammunition you have IF/WHEN you have to fight..

Don
t go to a gun fight with a stick...  :poke:
Not sure if my car with the picture of the torn frame is what your talking about?  But I did call them and they said no chains, they tire strap.  I also paid extra to have my car on top.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Steve P.

I meant to add to my "words of wisdom", that this was not just in the case of your car, but anyone reading about transporting a car as well.

Knowing before hand all the hell others have been through can help you make a better decision on who to use. Questions to ask. Insurance. Open or enclosed hauler and a host of other things.

At some point I would like to see something stickied about transporting cars and good trailering advice.. I know since I have been hauling I have made some mistakes.. It's easy to do.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TUFCAT

Quote from: Steve P. on December 01, 2007, 12:24:55 PM

At some point I would like to see something stickied about transporting cars and good trailering advice...

I second that!!!  It's MUCH needed.

RDR-838

I used Red Carpet Auto Transport to get my Roadrunner from Maryland to Texas. Not only were they hundreds less than anyone else, my car was delivered safe and sound ahead of schedule. Ask for Sheila.                   http://www.redcarpetautotransport.com/       

Also check out   http://www.transportreviews.com/

472 R/T SE

I went with DA- something, don't remember if it was T or S about 14 years ago.  The car was delayed getting here several times.  It was unloaded and loaded a couple times along the way in satellite yards and they ripped the frame.  I told the driver I'd meet him at our duplex at a certain time.  He showed up way early as did I.  I bought the car sight unseen and I think he knew I'd be upset so he tried dumping it off while my wife was home.
I have used Passport & my buddy uses Horseless exclusively.  I didn't ask for top load but I think Bill on the other end did last time I used them.  The driver took the time to protect the bottom rides, on the old ride under mine he used a blanket for the windshield.  A good driver too I might add negotiating our tight streets with a 53' trailer.  Two thumbs up for Passport.