News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

P51 Mustang Oxy Tank Used as a Fuel Tank

Started by RT DAVE, November 25, 2007, 06:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

My buddy is going to use this as a fuel tank for his model t hot-rod.  I thought it was cool, so I thought I would share.  I'm sure it's been done before but I'm not really all that knowledgable about old skool stuff. 

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

hemihead

He might get a good chunk of change out of it by selling it to an aircraft restorer or collector.  :scratchchin:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

RT DAVE

Quote from: hemihead on November 25, 2007, 07:38:41 AM
He might get a good chunk of change out of it by selling it to an aircraft restorer or collector.  :scratchchin:

More than the $100 he paid for it?  I don't think he cares but he ain't made of money either. 

Drache

you dont find original parts to those aircraft very much anymore. You could probably toss it up on Ebay and make at least double back.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

GreenMachine

Quote from: Drache on November 25, 2007, 12:47:08 PM
you dont find original parts to those aircraft very much anymore. You could probably toss it up on Ebay and make at least double back.

I work on Military aircraft, that bottle looks just like the ones being used right now on some aircraft except for the color and fittings. If the Military finds something that works, they keep having them made for years and years and years and years.........
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

DodgeByDave

My concern would be as to how much oxygen is "cold soaked" into the metal, if it's possible for oxygen to do that.

I know that gasoline and a lot of other compounds will be drawn into a metals porosity, rendering that unusable for anything else.

Antifreeze will "soak" into the copper and aluminum of a radiator, causing the blindness associated with bootleg whiskey cooled this way instead of with a thump barrel with copper coils. (old grandad only went to town about twice a year.........)

I would steer clear of using this thing as a fuel tank. Sell it for twice the money. If it's in fact a vintage P-51 part with the proper data tag intact it may be worth a small fortune.

Smart money would go and get a proper crash-worthy fuel cell. This is not the place to be cheap or cut corners.

Yeah it would look cool, I love the idea myself.

this is why I wouldn't fool with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqv68DkPi60

That an old video of Roger Williamson's horrific fire, and not for the squeamish.

My purpose isn't to poo poo on your idea, just to get the thought process from "wow, neat" to "what if?"

DBD
III, we are everywhere

RT DAVE

Quote from: DodgeByDave on November 25, 2007, 08:43:37 PM
My concern would be as to how much oxygen is "cold soaked" into the metal, if it's possible for oxygen to do that.

I know that gasoline and a lot of other compounds will be drawn into a metals porosity, rendering that unusable for anything else.

Antifreeze will "soak" into the copper and aluminum of a radiator, causing the blindness associated with bootleg whiskey cooled this way instead of with a thump barrel with copper coils. (old grandad only went to town about twice a year.........)

I would steer clear of using this thing as a fuel tank. Sell it for twice the money. If it's in fact a vintage P-51 part with the proper data tag intact it may be worth a small fortune.

Smart money would go and get a proper crash-worthy fuel cell. This is not the place to be cheap or cut corners.

Yeah it would look cool, I love the idea myself.

this is why I wouldn't fool with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqv68DkPi60

That an old video of Roger Williamson's horrific fire, and not for the squeamish.

My purpose isn't to poo poo on your idea, just to get the thought process from "wow, neat" to "what if?"

DBD

Thanks for the advice.  I'll pass that info on to my buddy.  My best guess is he'll never finish his project anyhow, but it would be a waste of a good part if it was dangerous and if it was better served as a resto piece for an airplane... 

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

RT DAVE

Quote from: Lowprofile on November 26, 2007, 05:42:35 PM
For that kind of application, this is the only way to go............ :2thumbs:

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Store/product_info.php?products_id=1384&osCsid=f79f863526

It's nice but my bud wants to attempt to do something a bit more atypical.   I'd do that over the other and keep the oxy tank as a conversation piece. 

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL