News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cost of a wedding, grrrrr, help me feel better [?]

Started by 89MOPAR, November 24, 2007, 06:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

89MOPAR

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

PocketThunder

Quote from: greenpigs on November 26, 2007, 04:04:17 PM
$40.50 - Justice of the Peace and parking. :Twocents: :2thumbs:

Piggy you are the man!!   :rofl:    :rofl: 

$15,000 for me.  we paid $10,000, parents chipped in for the other $5000.  Still married after 7 years now.  :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BrianShaughnessy

Congratulations  :2thumbs:

You'll do what you want...   my only thing is that I feel people shouldn't go into debt over weddings.   If you can afford it -  great!   Have a good time but don't get into fights over paying for the party years after it's over. 

I think there's a big wedding industry that you're just feeding.   I believe getting houses and finances squared away is more important than a big party.

Myself?   been there - didn't work... not going back anytime soon.     :icon_smile_blackeye:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Old Moparz

I have to agree with Brian, getting into debt for a one day party when you don't have lots of play money doesn't make sense to me either. A lot of my friends had gotten married before me, spent a ton of money, and went nuts planning it for a long time. I had no interest in going that same route, & my wife had been married once already, so it was no big deal to either of us. She even said that her first wedding was very low key & only a few friends & immediate family were there. With the money we didn't spend on a wedding, we bought our house & put down 2 to 3 times what people would normally have as a down payment.

When we did get married, it was pretty much unplanned. My family was badgering the 2 of us to come over for Thanksgiving, & her family was doing the same thing. We didn't want the headaches associated with avoiding one family over the other, or trying to visit 2 places in 2 different states. What we did instead, was drive to Niagara Falls on Thanksgiving day, get a hotel, eat dinner, & on Friday went to the courthouse to meet the judge. We went over to some multistory atrium that enclosed the street & connected an outlet mall to some other building & got married. We sent postcards to everyone with a photo of the falls & a message saying "Happy Thanksgiving, Just Married"   :lol:

Now when people ask what we did for our wedding, I just say we avoided our families & got married at the mall. It also comes in handy to say "Sorry, we can't come over for turkey, it's our anniversary."  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 27, 2007, 12:54:03 PM
Now when people ask what we did for our wedding, I just say we avoided our families & got married at the mall. It also comes in handy to say "Sorry, we can't come over for turkey, it's our anniversary."  :D

Very clever indeed.  I tell all my friends to get married on Valentines Day, how romantic!  kill two birds with one stone.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 27, 2007, 12:58:25 PM

Very clever indeed.  I tell all my friends to get married on Valentines Day, how romantic!  kill two birds with one stone.

Yeah, but do you tell your wife you're killing 2 birds?   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

The70RT

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 27, 2007, 01:04:43 PM

Yeah, but do you tell your wife you're killing 2 birds? :lol:

Very clever indeed. I tell all my friends to get married on Valentines Day, how romantic! kill two birds with one stone.

I have to agree with Brian, getting into debt for a one day party when you don't have lots of play money doesn't make sense to me either. A lot of my friends had gotten married before me, spent a ton of money, and went nuts planning it for a long time. I had no interest in going that same route, & my wife had been married once already, so it was no big deal to either of us. She even said that her first wedding was very low key & only a few friends & immediate family were there. With the money we didn't spend on a wedding, we bought our house & put down 2 to 3 times what people would normally have as a down payment.

When we did get married, it was pretty much unplanned. My family was badgering the 2 of us to come over for Thanksgiving, & her family was doing the same thing. We didn't want the headaches associated with avoiding one family over the other, or trying to visit 2 places in 2 different states. What we did instead, was drive to Niagara Falls on Thanksgiving day, get a hotel, eat dinner, & on Friday went to the courthouse to meet the judge. We went over to some multistory atrium that enclosed the street & connected an outlet mall to some other building & got married. We sent postcards to everyone with a photo of the falls & a message saying "Happy Thanksgiving, Just Married"   :lol:

Pretty much what i been saying. If she want's too much now what are you gonna do down the line when shes spoiled. I figure you got to let them know from the start who is wearing the pants. If she blows up when you want to save some money then to me that spells trouble later....hey but don't flame me.... that's just me. It is a two way street both have to agree but I seen it too often after some get marred it all changes :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PocketThunder

Quote from: The70RT on November 27, 2007, 01:56:10 PMPretty much what i been saying. If she want's too much now what are you gonna do down the line when shes spoiled. I figure you got to let them know from the start who is wearing the pants. If she blows up when you want to save some money then to me that spells trouble later....hey but don't flame me.... that's just me. It is a two way street both have to agree but I seen it too often after some get marred it all changes :Twocents:

We went to our buddys wedding last summer and they (her parents) spent $60,000!!  What does he do for a living?....  out of work real estate agent!  :smilielol:   :smilielol:   :smilielol:

BMOTOXSTAR

My buddy got married in Vegas on 6/6/06, talk about bad Karma, I give them another year of marriage. :scratchchin: :icon_smile_big:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger_Fan

You & your wife could call into the Dave Ramsey show, he will help you guys keep costs down. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69_500

Quote from: Marck on November 26, 2007, 03:20:58 AM
honeymoon to Thailand.
\

You went to Thailand on your honeymoon? I'm assuming you went to either Pataya, or Huahin if you went to Thailand for your honeymoon. I lived in Thailand for 8 years, and other than the southern beaches, i don't think I'd consider the rest of the country as a honeymoon spot. I took my wife to Thailand for our 2nd anniversary, so she could see where I grew up. I don't think she cared for it too much. Its beautiful country don't get me wrong, the mountains in the north are gorgeous, but the beaches on the Indian ocean side of the penninsula are just fabulous.

Marck

Quote from: 69_500 on November 27, 2007, 05:38:53 PM
Quote from: Marck on November 26, 2007, 03:20:58 AM
honeymoon to Thailand.
\

You went to Thailand on your honeymoon? I'm assuming you went to either Pataya, or Huahin if you went to Thailand for your honeymoon. I lived in Thailand for 8 years, and other than the southern beaches, i don't think I'd consider the rest of the country as a honeymoon spot. I took my wife to Thailand for our 2nd anniversary, so she could see where I grew up. I don't think she cared for it too much. Its beautiful country don't get me wrong, the mountains in the north are gorgeous, but the beaches on the Indian ocean side of the penninsula are just fabulous.

We actually had 3 days in Bangkok, and 11 days in Huahin. It was fun seeing Bangkok, with all it's chaos and different parts of the city. My wife shopped quite a bit in the three days..
Huahin was a completely different type of place.. We lived at the Marriot Resort and Spa right on the beach, I've never stayed at a nicer hotel, everything was just great.

What part of Thailand did you live in...?

472 R/T SE

Right on Paul.  About time she got you by the gonads.  Any chick who likes car racing is most definitely a keeper.  Being easy on the eyes is only a boner...er I mean bonus.  How's the Noble coming along?  Any track time on that bad boy yet?

We went to Reno for a shotgun wedding and spent $500 and 90% of that was gambling.  The wife was preggo with one of our 4 miscarriages over an 8 year period so the father in law didn't need to bring all his brothers, talk about intimidated.     :blush2:

d72hemi

Quote from: greenpigs on November 26, 2007, 04:04:17 PM
$40.50 - Justice of the Peace and parking. :Twocents: :2thumbs:

My wedding, 6 years ago, was around $80-$90 total. $60 something for the Riverside County CA Justice of the Peace wedding and a new shirt and tie (on sale). Then again my divorce 3 years ago cost about $750, but I got everything. If I am ever "stupid enough" (nothing against anyone else, I just got married at the age of 18  :brickwall: ) I would like to make my bride-to-be happy. The current GF gets excited when I take her to the drags (first date), or work on the Charger. I could see spending a few grand on a wedding with her, but after I get the charger 100%.   

Congratulations on your wedding, and good luck! finding a lady who like cars (or lets you restore/modify them) the way most of us do is hard to find.

Ian

Brock Samson

69_500

We lived in Bangkok for 13 months when we first moved to Thailand, right behind the largest university in the world or so I've been told. Ramkhamhang University, at the time had approximately 300,000 students enrolled.

Then we moved to Chiang Mai which is in the northwest of the country. Which is the location of the Kings winter palace. Not sure if you went to the Kings palace in Bangkok, but it is definately a beautiful compound. The nortwest has plenty of mountains, as Chiang Mai is located in a valley surrounded by 4 mountains.

BigBlockSam

Quoteif she lets you spend money on youre cars , make her happy

:yesnod:  $10000 is cheap. i spent close to $30000 on my wedding . it took me almost 4 years to pay it off. it was a hell of a party and a great memory . congrats. Rene

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Marck

Quote from: 69_500 on December 02, 2007, 03:17:00 PM
We lived in Bangkok for 13 months when we first moved to Thailand, right behind the largest university in the world or so I've been told. Ramkhamhang University, at the time had approximately 300,000 students enrolled.

Then we moved to Chiang Mai which is in the northwest of the country. Which is the location of the Kings winter palace. Not sure if you went to the Kings palace in Bangkok, but it is definately a beautiful compound. The nortwest has plenty of mountains, as Chiang Mai is located in a valley surrounded by 4 mountains.

Cool...

Yeah, we went to the Kings palace in Bangkok, and it's amazing.. To think that everything is hand fabricated, and all the tiles every where were put in by hand...  :o
We had a guide for a day, so we went to all the tourist places, with our own driver and all...  :2thumbs:

69_500

The Kings palace is simply amazing. The 1" thick marble floors that go between building to building, and the 24K gold on the buildings. Definately something to look at.