News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advance kit for stock distributor

Started by squeakfinder, November 24, 2007, 01:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeakfinder

Is there anything out there that works with a stock points distributor? I can't seem to find a spring kit or vacuum canister to adjust the full advance.  Lots of stuff out there for GM and Ferd.
I know I could get a new aftermarket dist. thats adjustable, but I'd like to make this one work. It's nearly new.

Thanks Larry
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

:bump:

:scratchchin: Maybe I should have put this one in the electrical section..

firefighter3931

Larry, there is a Mr Gasket spring kit available that will provide an assortment of springs to tune the speed of the timing curve. Mechanical advance on an older distributor requires swapping out the plate or welding the existing one up. There were different plates available and each had a number stamped on it. A #9 stamping would mean the plate has 18* of mechanical advance. A #14 would mean it has 28*....and so on.

As for vacuum advance...i don't use it. I prefer to tune w/o it, especially with hotter engine builds that don't produce lots of vacuum anyway...which just plays havoc with vac advance.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

squeakfinder

Thanks Ron. I couldn't come up with anything on there web site so I sent there tech support a question. When I come up with something I'll post the part #. If I don't come up with anything, or maybee I come to my sense's and decide to go with an aftermarket distributor. I'll post some detail's on my build and hopefully get some ideas which dist to get.

firefighter3931

From my experience the stock distributor will have one heavy spring and one medium spring. Swapping out the heavy spring for a light spring usually quickens up the curve enough to keep most engines happy.  :icon_smile_big:

Here's a link to the Mr Gasket springs....check it out.  :scope:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MRG%2D925B&autoview=sku

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

squeakfinder

firefighter3931

kamkuda

I have the article scanned in on how to adjust your distributer to limit advance.  When I did mine, I welded the slots as suggested in the article and filed them back to the right size.  I used a light and heavy spring as you can see in this picture. If you look close you may be able to see where I welded the slot smaller.   PM me your email and I can send you the 4 page article if you wish.  It was not very hard to do and once it is done, you really never have to do anything with it. :2thumbs:

Rob

squeakfinder

Rob,

I was able to give the local parts house the Mr Gasket part # supplied by Ron. So I have the springs. That would be great if you could send me the tech article. Welding is no problem for me, I'll send you my email.

Thanks Larry.

squeakfinder

Once again thanks Rob. I got the article. I'm just wondering, if I use both light springs, and no vacuum advance, maybee I shouldn't weld the slots smaller?

I may just need to experiment.
By the way, this is the cam I have......

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2DK21%2D223%2D4&autoview=sku

If somebody knows of a distributor that works with this, let me know.