News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifolds- what color paint

Started by 68charger383, November 18, 2007, 01:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger383

What color are the exhaust manifolds. I tried to find some on ebay...they appear to be a dark silvser or grey.  :shruggy:

What would be a good rattle can color to buy from NAPA or AutoZone etc.. mine are in good shape..just looking to clean them up a little.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

Ghoste

Originally, they weren't painted at all, they came in natural cast iron grey and since they were on the engine when it was painted, they generally had a bunch of overspray on them.  To duplicate the as cast look though, there are a few paints out there that simulate cast iron grey.  But as Bull said, paint will burnoff quickly and you be better off getting them coated.

Charger-Bodie

no matter what you coat them with its going to burn off over time. take a look way down the page of the follwing link at the ones 8wheeler had jet hot coated!! http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35891.0.html
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68charger383

Advice taken.

Mine are similar to the pic below...still good but a little rust showing.

Just wanted to try and get them looking perfect again.

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

resq302

I've had good results with VHT Nu Cast manifold paint.  It is exact in appearance and sheen to natural cast iron parts.  Plus it has a temp rating of up to 2000 degrees.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

daytonalo

resq302

My dads el camino is going on over 2 years.  Only thing I have noticed is that they have a bronze tint to them but still look like raw cast iron.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

sdcharger

Has anyone ever used por-15?  They have a high temp manifold grey also. I bought a pint of it but haven't done mine yet.

http://www.por15.com/products.asp?dept=8

resq302

I have used both POR-15 and the paint from Eastwood Auto exhaust manifold paint.  The POR-15 paint after sandblasting the manifolds always seemed to peel on me for some reason, even after using their products and clean and prep.  The Eastwood paint would last a couple months and then start to rust through on me.  So far, the VHT paint has held up the best and longest out of all of them.
Brian