News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam swap DIY?

Started by 73chgrSE, November 20, 2007, 05:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

Thinking about a hotter cam for my stock 400. I'll probly get a stroker kit eventually but for now maybe a bigger carb, headers and cam. Any recommendations for a cam? Also, is this something one could do himself with a few tools or should I have a shop do it. Cost for that?

Thanks in advance.

Ghoste

Is this for your run at the "Pinks" race?  What level of performance do you want from the car?

firefighter3931

Cam swaps are not difficult...basic tools will get the job done. It is however very important to pick the rght cam for your application or the car could end up going slower.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73chgrSE

Yes, I would like to have the following for Pinks all out in Ga.

Hotter Cam.....not sure about size/brand? maybe someone could help me out.
Headers..........doug thorley?
larger carb.......holley 750 dbl pmpr?
drag radials......275/60
nitrous?

If I run into some money before then I'll do more but this is a start.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73chgrSE on November 21, 2007, 08:47:02 AM

drag radials......275/60
nitrous?

That's a good start but we need a little more info ;

(1) Compression ratio on your engine
(2) Stall speed on your converter
(3) rear end gear

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Or just tell us your expected performance level and we'll start spending your money from there.  :icon_smile_wink:

73chgrSE

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 21, 2007, 09:11:56 PM
Quote from: 73chgrSE on November 21, 2007, 08:47:02 AM

drag radials......275/60
nitrous?

That's a good start but we need a little more info ;

(1) Compression ratio on your engine
(2) Stall speed on your converter
(3) rear end gear

Ron

Thanks,

Stock 8.2 compression or something like that
stock stall, maybe 1500???
2.76 rear gear

I want to do better than 14's

firefighter3931

You will have to swap out the rear end gears and converter to match the upgrades...are you willing to do that ?  :scratchchin:

The static compression is low so it's important to use a moderately sized cam.  :yesnod:

Ron

73chgrSE

Thanks for the advise. I plan on getting a dana 60 with 3.55 or so eventually but not before May. Are you saying stick to bolt ons for now?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73chgrSE on November 22, 2007, 12:30:11 PM
Are you saying stick to bolt ons for now?

To take advantage of cam/intake/carb/exhaust upgrades you need to update the rear axle ratio and stall speed. It's important to match all the components together or you will be disappointed.

Ron

Ghoste

Especially if you plan to go faster than 14's.

66mopar

Just don't forget to degree the cam in
With a low comp engine it really helps bottom end torque to advance the cam three or four degrees from DTC. 
Even cams from the good cam companies can be retarded which will kill power on any engine but with low comp it really hurts. A few years I had a problem with soft bottom end power (below 3000rpm) after I installed an after market cam (comp cam) I decided to check how the cam was indexed with it installed straight up. I was surprised to find it was retarded eight degrees. I advanced the cam 2 degrees from DTC and the car really picked up bottom end torque
This is more info then you asked for I just thought I pass on the info I learned.