News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does this look right? Cam bolt installation photo

Started by AKcharger, November 22, 2007, 05:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Engine experts, take a look at this, I installed my cam bolt but it doesn't look right to me. It's a double roller chain and I think it's thicker than the original. The hole is concave and when I tightened the bolt to the requisite 35 ft. lbs the washer flared a bit as the boltpulled the washer into that concave void.

So question is should I worry about this or am I good? And if it IS wrong what is the solution

mally69

where did the washer come from???   i dont think mine did that when i installed it ..    just to be safe IF i were you i would look for a hardend  washer :Twocents:

firefighter3931

Bill, the cam washer has a convex shape and is supposed to flatten out as you tighten it into the flank. The washer creates a sort of spring loaded effect (for lack of a better term)  to hold the bolt in place. You must use the correct bolt & washer for this application and i allways use blue loctite on the threads...... just for safe measure.   ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

sorry,,  its a good thing i was corrected on this  :slap:      i just didnt think mine was like that.. maybe i had better take a look at mine now  :-\

AKcharger

Hmmm my washers was flat, not concave at all. I got it at 440 source...I was stuipid and threw out most of the odd hardware I needed. Anyway here's what it looked like and where I got it from...

Shown above is our BRAND NEW REPRODUCTION bolt and special washer for attaching the camshaft sprocket to the the camshaft on all single bolt models. These have been long discontinued by Chrysler, and we couldn't find them anywhere, so we reproduced the unique washer and sourced the bolt in a super strong grade 8 version. These fit all years and all engines with single bolt sprocket. Will not work with 3 bolt cams.
Part No: 109-1510 - Bolt kit - Timing chain to camshaft - Single bolt - New Reproduction Grade 8. Price: $9.95.

firefighter3931

Bill, you might have the washer on backwards. Try pulling the bolt off and flipping it (the washer) over.

It should sit flat when torqued down. If the washer is concave after installation it is probably on backwards.

If that doesn't work lemme know....got a spare bolt/washer here.  ;)

Ron

Ps. When you've got it sorted out make sure to use some blue loctite on those threads.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fourspd440

Bill,
I don't like the look of that washer at all.  It does not look like a Grade 8 washer.  Here is a picture of the Mopar bolt and washer package (P/N 5249822).  I can't tell if that washer is concave or not.

Stan

terrible one

Quote from: AKcharger on November 22, 2007, 07:39:12 PM

Hmmm my washers was flat, not concave at all. I got it at 440 source...I was stuipid and threw out most of the odd hardware I needed. Anyway here's what it looked like and where I got it from...

Shown above is our BRAND NEW REPRODUCTION bolt and special washer for attaching the camshaft sprocket to the the camshaft on all single bolt models. These have been long discontinued by Chrysler, and we couldn't find them anywhere, so we reproduced the unique washer and sourced the bolt in a super strong grade 8 version. These fit all years and all engines with single bolt sprocket. Will not work with 3 bolt cams.
Part No: 109-1510 - Bolt kit - Timing chain to camshaft - Single bolt - New Reproduction Grade 8. Price: $9.95.

Really, looking at that photo, it looks slightly concave to me. . .

Just 6T9 CHGR

This was mine when I disassembled my engine....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

beedees

Washer is on backwards, bolt head should have 6 pip marks on it.

AKcharger

Nope that was a completely flat washer...I recall my 383 looked like 6T9's, perfectly flat against the sprocket, I'm thinking it might be the drive sprocket...Hold on, let me get more photos, I'm pulling that thing off....

AKcharger

OK here's a few more shots with the bolt installed...note the gap

AKcharger

Heree's what I think the problem is, see the concave bolt hole opening? the bolt pulls the washer into it. It's an Engle K56 Cam...anyone ever seen this>

AKcharger

This WAS a perfictly flat washer when I started, now look ????

Just 6T9 CHGR

I'm running the K56 as well & looks the same way....I think that washer is junk

This is mine after....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Topher

I don't think that's a hardened washer. It should be flat when the bolt is torqued. I reccomend that you go buy a replacement bolt/washer from your local Dodge dealer.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

mally69

looks like a cheesy washer..It looks like it was stamped out of some crapy soft metal..

AKcharger

I think you guys are right...now that you mention it you can see "grain lines" on the side of the washer, like it was just die cut out of a lengh of sheet metal...I'll call 440 source, I like to think they have better stuff than that.

Thanks

AK

Mick70RR

Just fitted a new timing set from 440 Source and used their bolt and washer. Nice timing set and grade 8 bolt but the washer was just too soft and I didn't use it.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

six-tee-nine

The washer looks kinda cheap stuff.... a good quality washer doesnt bend that hard imo.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

jg68

Quote from: AKcharger on November 23, 2007, 04:41:16 AM
Heree's what I think the problem is, see the concave bolt hole opening? the bolt pulls the washer into it. It's an Engle K56 Cam...anyone ever seen this>

By the looks of the cam, it is not flush with the sprocket, they should be flush, this is more then likely your problem with the washer con-caveing, even a hardened washer will do it, you need to find out why it won't go flush, something is in a bind their, make sure the bottom sprocket is all the way back too, if you fix this issue & it evens up, even the softer washer will work fine with lock-tite on the threads.

Just 6T9 CHGR

FWIW mine wasnt flush on there either :shruggy:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tecmopar

Just go back to firefighter3931's reply and that thats all you need. Most sprockets sit like this on the cam and the factory washer is convex for a reason, it has as stated a strong spring effect on the bolt and when torqued correctly it acts like a lock washer. As a matter of fact if you look at a lot of Mopar bolts that have captive washer's they also were convex just for this reason, good luck.

AKcharger

Thanks guys. I called Brian at 440source and he conformed the washers were kind of soft. He suggested putting a smaller washer behind it so it isn't drawn into to that recess...I don't think I'll go that way. He said I can get credit for the purchase so I'll put $9.99 towards those new heads

AK

firefighter3931

Quote from: AKcharger on November 27, 2007, 11:19:52 PM
He said I can get credit for the purchase so I'll put $9.99 towards those new heads

AK

Good call....i didn't like the look of that waher from the first pic....sure doesn't look like a hardened piece in those pics.  :P

Help is on the way.  ;)

Ron