News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70s look-what about side pipes?

Started by andy74, October 01, 2005, 02:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

i am thinking about putting another charger together,a 72 like what i have,but witha 70s theme.maybe a tunnel ram,dual quads,rear shackles,cragar s/s wheels and fat chrome side pipes,probably primered flat black,with a roll bar.what do ya guys think?i have a car that i can get cheap,the floors and frame are good,but it has some rot in the lower quarters,and front fenders-probably fix with glass,and just have a real fun beater,keep the blue car for cruising?

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

RECHRGD

IMO full length side pipes look lame.  I do like big pipes dumping out in front of the rear wheels though.  Kinda like a Challenger T/A of AAR Cuda.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

MoparMotel

i was also thinking about the same thing. anyone got any pics of side pipes? or ones coming out in front of the rear tires
1968 Dodge Charger

BigBlockSam

in 1978 i had a crappy 68 charger . flat black, full  trush side pipes.the rear of the side pipes were held up with cloth hangers.  ugly, rusty ran like shit. owned it for two weeks and somebody stole it.  some times those are the most fun cars.

Yea go for it ,    Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Lowprofile

Sidepipes.....only if you install an 8-track and get your "Mullet" growing again!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Ghoste

Been there done it when it was new.  My first reaction to your post was WHY????  But after a few seconds I got all nostalgic and I figure why not???  It will likely be fun.

BigBlockSam

hey! i just installed an 8 track in the satellite. no "Mullet" though i had an afro back then  O0
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Lowprofile

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 01, 2005, 11:40:24 PM
hey! i just installed an 8 track in the satellite. no "Mullet" though i had an afro back then O0

Then, by all means, insert that Led Zepplin 8-Track into the player, and "Fly that Natural", my Brother! O0
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

8WHEELER

I had to zoom in on this car so its not a very good picture but this 69 has side pipes.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

Does anyone remember a really cheesy very low budget drive in release from the early 70's about a gang of street racers?   I'm sorry I can't recall the title but the leader of the gang drove a 68 Charger with sidepipes on it (I think every car in the gang had sidepipes).

chrisII

ya know..i kinda think a 72 with side pipes would look kool........ we have got a nice lookin set of used pipes sittin in the parts room at work. ive looked at em about a dozen times an thought about it :devil:

derailed

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 01, 2005, 03:23:55 PM
IMO full length side pipes look lame.   I do like big pipes dumping out in front of the rear wheels though.   Kinda like a Challenger T/A of AAR Cuda.      Bob

:iagree:

Charged

Try the old '70s paint stripes.

Ive not seen them in years and its ONLY a '70s thing and when you see it, you know its '70s style without a doubt.

As said, I havent seen them on a car in years but last week at "Summer Nights Cruise" in a Somerset, KY car show there was one, and I remember it more than any of the other cars.  And I thought it was defiently fitting for that era of car...especially with the 8-track in it.

Ghoste

So the factory fresh look has been done, and the day two resto-mods have been done.  Are we seeing the beginning of a trend to do day three or second owner resto's?  Tired of Torque Thrusts?  Get some Cragars, side pipes, rear shackles and an 8 track.

reghoule

Quote from: Ghoste on October 02, 2005, 09:50:53 AM
Does anyone remember a really cheesy very low budget drive in release from the ealry 70's about a gang of street racers?   I'm sorry I can't recall the title but the leader of the gang drove a 68 Charger with sidepipes on it (I think every car in the gang had sidepipes).

It was Hi-Riders!, from 1977 or 1978. The leader drove a 68 orange Charger, black vinyl top and interior... sad end for it. His buddy, a 67-68 Silver Firebird with side Pipe and big rubbers on it. Even if it's a low budget movie, I like it!

Ghoste

That's it.   Was it that late?   I thought it was early 70's.   Do you have a copy of it?
Am I right, the Charger had the side pipes too didn't it?

mustanghater

here's one with pipes
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

RECHRGD

Quote from: mustanghater on October 02, 2005, 05:39:11 PM
here's one with pipes
The Owner/Builder of that monstrosity should be shot on sight!! :o :o :o :o :o :o  Is he a member??????  Why destroy what was once beautiful peice of American auto history????
13.53 @ 105.32

Wakko

That thing was on Ebay a while back.  Not a member, I believe.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

mustanghater

here we go again...wait a few minutes for a new post.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Ghoste

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 02, 2005, 06:25:02 PM
Why destroy what was once beautiful peice of American auto history????

Why not?  Trevor Creed did it and he was very well paid for it.

Nupe

Had a pic that someone posted a while back (maybe on Moparts???) of a survivor B5 blue, 71, R/T that had slots or cragars and side pipes.  It actually looked pretty cool.  It also had an 8 track with 3 Dog Night in it.  Crazy memory of mine.   :icon_smile_cool:

Lost the pics when my computer crashed.   :'(

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Charged

Quote from: Ghoste on October 02, 2005, 06:46:28 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on October 02, 2005, 06:25:02 PM
Why destroy what was once beautiful peice of American auto history????

Why not? Trevor Creed did it and he was very well paid for it.

Good one Ghoste! ROFLMFAO

Charged

twilt

Go for  it! i liked the look "in the day" if you dont like it you can always pull em off.