News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How about some honesty now. How much did DOH influence your driving habits

Started by bull, November 21, 2007, 01:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'll be the first to admit that I slid through the open window a few times to get behind the wheel, did more than one "power slide" on a dirt road, slid across the hood once (didn't quite make it) and even had the poor old '70 airborne once back when I was 18-19 years old. How about you guys and gals? Can you point to one or more incident(s) where you tried the same thing Bo and Luke did during the opening credits of DOH?

Ghoste

Mike DC

My first car was a very rusty/raggedy GL replica when I was 16 years old.

I've done pretty much everything you'd see in DOH except launching the car over roadblocks & rivers.  Powerslides, brief air times, two wheels (accidentally), etc.  I even put the pushbar to work a few times. 

The hood-sliding and thru-the-window entry was more or less a daily occurrence for me & my high school friends.

RallyeMike

Got my first 69 in 79. My teenage driving record was reckless to say the least, but I never wrecked or got arrested. Overall car culture and motor sports has been much more of an influence - the Dukes is only a small part of that. The window entry really doesnt work that well when you are tall. A few attempts had me convinced real quick to use the doors.

As far as continued influence, these days I drive faster than the Dukes with a little more control and a whole lot less air. Yeeehaw!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

Hemidoug

Not a lick...and I had a Charger WAYYYYYYYYY before they were "cool". Back in my day Mopars were the underdog...so a lot of Chebby's got to see Mopar tail lights!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Charger-Bodie

The only influence it had on me ,showed up when the end of the day school bell rang in third grade , I ran down the hall yelling YEE HAAW ! but I never tried to jump beaver creek gulch with my charger . :eek2:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

greatwn73

None, I had enough trouble trying not to be the village idiot without emulating the worst TV show written. :icon_smile_big:

TeeWJay426

Not at all.... I was nuts enough at a young age without it influencing me.... and the only reason I ever watched it back in the day was to check out Daisy and her shorts, anyway! :drool5:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

dodgecharger-fan

None really.

I had a Charger before the show came out... a 73
I was pretty much passed dong anything crazy in a car by the time DOH would have had a chance to influence me.

I do recall sliding in through the window and an attempt to slide across the hood, but I really don't recall in which car I did those things. (Might've been the 'vette for all I know. Chevette, that is.  :eek2: )

I did do some silly stuff in cars, but I'm pretty sure it was before the days of DOH.

I ditched the Charger in the winter time once... got it sideways around a 90 degree bend and it just kept going. Slid it right in completely broadside - no damage at all to the car.
The star of the movie, Humungous and future mayoral candidate of my home town, Garry Robbins, pulled me out.

One day, I decided that all that snow in the school parking lot didn't mean squat to a /6 backed up by some new snow tires..... Until I got into it and realized it half buried the car.. two guys were able to push me out of that mess though...

I dented the gas tank one night... I'll leave that to your imaginations..

BrianShaughnessy

I wasn't home on Friday nights to watch it.    I didn't even know the show was on until the guys at my job told me abou it.  I was out driving my 69 on the back roads around town and then going down to Gratiot or Woodward.

I tried a hood slide once.      The ridge in the middle of the hood and my butt didn't get along.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bull

I think I was at just the right age and situation for it to influence me. I grew up in a very small logging/farming community when DOH was at its peak (before I could even drive) so that country boy mentality was already deeply ingrained in me and DOH pretty much solidified it. The show introduced me to the 2nd gen Charger because none of the 1,100 people in my home town had one and I actually found my first Charger on my school bus route. I was 15 and it was sitting on blocks ~ love at first sight. It's not like I was doing DOH imitations 24/7 with the Charger but I tried a few things just for fun. WTH, I was a teenager. :icon_smile_wink: This was back when 1/4 of the studend body brought guns to school and yet no one had ever heard of school shootings.

69bronzeT5

Well I cant say that its influenced my driving because well...I cant drive yet but I have tried my fair share of going through the window and hood slides. The go through the windows were successful, the hood slides.......not so much :smilielol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

SRT-440

I wasn't old enough to drive when the show was on.. HOWEVER..it did influence how I rode my "general lee" bike..I jumped everything and thought I was invincable on that bike.  :rofl: :rotz:
When I did turn 16 back in '90 my parents gave me a 80 Buick LeSabre and I crawled thru the windows a few times and I would have slide across the hood if it wasn't for a piece of molding that was right in the center.. :brickwall: :slap:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

joflaig

A lot, but now that I can actually tool around in a GL I certainly don't thrash it. Instead I refurbished my old go-cart and drive it with more abandon than those good ole' Duke boys would. That gets it out of the system every time!  ;)

Charger74

Didn't effect me any.  Hood slide!!! No way, 3rd gens have huge hoods with a nice big ridge down the center, add to that the SE emblem on the front and my brain was like no flipping way cause that will hurt   :icon_smile_big:.   Slide in entry, yeah.  I actually didnt' have a choice for a while.  My hinge was out of whack and I didnt' dare open the door until I could get another hinge. :brickwall:

Sliding the car, once in awhile on a dirt road in AZ.  But for the most part, I agree with one post above, I mainly watched it for Daisy's shorts.

Charger_Fan

I can honestly say I've never wanted to jump my Charger off anything...so, no. No DOH influence on me.

Smokey & the Bandit however, is a whole 'nuther story. I have, in fact, outrun cops in my youth & would probably attribute that almost directly to a certain black Trans Am.  :D
Looking back, I'm not very proud of that...I did cause myself a situation one night, that I'm still dealing with today. ::)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Judhudson

I tried the jump into my window of the 73.  Didn't turn out to well.  Broke the wooden door lock off with my butt and hit my head on the top of the window. 

I'm going to try it with my 68 once it is done though.  Should be a lot more room hopefully.

69charger2002

here's my honesty. i grew up with the show. i credit the show with me falling in love with mopars, specifically chargers... BUT yet i don't do any of the foolish driving or jumping or sliding based on that show. now of course i have tried to slide into the window. but being 6'2 it is HARD! i don't know how john schneider did it so easily. he is much taller than me. but the car had way more influence on me and my huge hobby than it did my driving habits.. now i respect and love the cars too much to abuse them, i just drive them
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

UFO

Gotta watch those through the window slides.If the door lock knob doesn't get you in the goodies it will get you mid back.

70 Charger RT

I started driving in 1972 before DOH hit the airwaves so I can honestly say it never influenced how I drive.  I did my drivers test in a 70 RT (my brothers car).  And bought my second Charger when DOH hit the airwaves.  I did enjoy watching the show though, especially Daisy Duke. :yesnod:

Oldfart.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic