News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 and 383 magnum

Started by davidlclassic, November 14, 2007, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlclassic

I'm putting a 383 in a 1972 duster and bought a  weiland team G series intake from a friend. He says it was bought for a 383 Magnum, whats the difference between the two engines. Also is there a plate that goes under this intake so your push rods will not be exposed, I don't know I have never fooled with a big block engine or an intake like this. I think the intake may be for racing? And finely what kind of problems will I run into slipping a big block into a slant six compartment? Any help will be appreciated.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

max

there isn't any outside differences between the 383 and 383 magnum so there isn't anything to worry about there.

big block engines from the factory used a valley pan cover which was also the gasket between the intake and heads and it is held in place by 3 bolts and a plate on the front and rear of the engine. you can still by them from your local parts store.

if i remember correctly the team G series intake is a single plane intake and it is used mostly in racing applications so you will loose bottom end power on the street.

dropping a big block into an a-body isn't one of the easiest things to do but it can be done. there's a company called Schumaker that makes conversion mounts to put a big block on a 6 cylinder k-frame.

this link might help with alot of your questions for the swap even though it is for big block darts they are still a-bodies like your duster.
http://www.bigblockdart.com/

RD

oh, and you will have to notch your k frame for the oil pump, unless.... you dry sump it.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

davidlclassic

Thanks Max and RD you've already answered alot of questions for me, but I'll probably need you guys again before I get this swap completed.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

dc69383

I believe the magnum came with hi-performance cam, more compression and a windage tray. :scratchchin:
'69 IS FINE

max

Quote from: dc69383 on November 21, 2007, 04:43:48 AM
I believe the magnum came with hi-performance cam, more compression and a windage tray. :scratchchin:

internally there was some differences between the stock 4bbl 383 and the magnum, but and i use that lightly. i did have 2 - 383 engines at one time and one was a 1969 stock 4 bbl engine while the other was a 1971 383 hp.

the 1969 had higher compression and the cam specs weren't that much different then the magnum so i ended up using the 1969 engine for my build.

and for some reason over the years i have seen some 383 hp engines that did have a windage tray and some that didn't  :shruggy: