News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

measuring a camshaft

Started by 788man, October 08, 2007, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

788man

How do you measure a camshaft to determine the lift? I'm taking apart a '72 318 and the cam measures 1.325/1.365 on the small side and 1.365/1.602 on the lobe side.

I don't think the lift is .260/.237 is it?

This motor has been rebuilt with .030 over pistons and I'm trying to determine whether this is the stock cam or not. :scratchchin:

y3chargerrt

You got to multiply by the rocker arm ratio to get the lift numbers.

firefighter3931

There are a couple of different ways to do it ;

(1) measure at the retainer and divide by the rocker ratio.

(2) measure the base circle of the cam and measure the peak of the lobe and then subtract the base circle spec.

The stock 318 2bbl cam is pretty mild....probably in the .400 range at the valve. I've never measured one but that would be my guess.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

caddman

from what i have found the 318 camshaft is around .420 intake, .443 exhaust.  i'm changing mine right now. lol.

caddman

max

Quote from: caddman on November 19, 2007, 09:06:06 AM
from what i have found the 318 camshaft is around .420 intake, .443 exhaust.  i'm changing mine right now. lol.

caddman

not to make an arguement, but the specs you listed above are very close to a stock automatic 340 cam.

if i remember correctly and it has been awhile since i looked at it but i believe that a motors manual i have, listed the stock 318 cam lift at .390. never the less it dosen't have very much lift to it.