News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

local man killed in '70 charger powerslide:

Started by Brock Samson, July 16, 2007, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Red Ram

Quote from: hemihead on July 19, 2007, 10:11:27 AM
I guess when you have done here what God wanted you to do and he calls you home, you don't have a say in it.  :scratchchin:

So are you saying that God wanted him to do a powerslide in a 70 Charger?
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

last426

Quote from: Red Ram on July 20, 2007, 01:51:56 AM
Quote from: hemihead on July 19, 2007, 10:11:27 AM
I guess when you have done here what God wanted you to do and he calls you home, you don't have a say in it.  :scratchchin:

So are you saying that God wanted him to do a powerslide in a 70 Charger?

No, what he is saying is that we should not put side impact protection in cars because "what will be" is all part of a plan.  Shame on you -- God would have no part of your scheme.  It's sort of like pre-destination.  Kim

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: hemigeno on July 16, 2007, 01:56:42 PM
In the early '70s they started adding a horizontal "crash bar" as part of the door construction

In 1973 but just on driver side as far I remember on my car. Driver side door weights noticeable more than passenger side... sorry was reading another thread and brought me out to this thread
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dodge Don

The doors on a 2nd Gen Charger are paper thin. Remarkeably weak when you strip them down and look.

Highbanked Hauler

I think 73 was the first year side door bars were mandatory. Anything built before that had very little side protection.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mike DC

Cars in general are terrible in side impact crashes. 

There's just no metal structure to crush between the driver and the outside world.  Even if you build cars strong enough not to give inwards at the doors, the hit is still extremely forceful just because there's so little "crumple-zone" slowdown of the impact. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASCAR's new COT chassis cars have a layer of 1/4" thick steel plate covering the ENTIRE driver's side door bar area now.  Doorjamb-to-doorjamb, rocker panel to windowsill. 

And then the car has a thick layer of hi-tech impact foam on the outside of that.   

firefighter3931

A rollbar could have saved his life.....makes you think  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

400/6/PAC