News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender tag info for a 71 R/T

Started by 71 Bee Man, November 16, 2007, 02:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

someone I know is thinking of buying a 71 R/T Charger, but unfortunately the fender tags are missing. Is there a way to find out what info was on them ? He has the body number.

Also, did 71 R/T's ever come with column shift auto ? :shruggy:

Thanks,
:2thumbs:
Peter.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

nakita7

I have heard of people getting tag info from a VIN, not sure how this is done though. Yes, some were column shift.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: nakita7 on November 16, 2007, 04:13:04 AM
I have heard of people getting tag info from a VIN, not sure how this is done though. Yes, some were column shift.

Thanks for the reply. I thought they would have all been T-bar if in auto.

What about electric windows ?

Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :

Goldfinger71

Yes PW were an option.Mine came that way.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Hemidoug

Unfortunately, no way to get the data tag info without a broadcast or some other documentation (ie..Dealer invoice, order sheet, ect...). You could only get a slap stick if the car was equipped with buckets/console. Bench seat/non console cars came with column shift.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Hemidoug on November 16, 2007, 08:06:15 AM
Unfortunately, no way to get the data tag info without a broadcast or some other documentation (ie..Dealer invoice, order sheet, ect...). You could only get a slap stick if the car was equipped with buckets/console. Bench seat/non console cars came with column shift.

That's good to know. Apparently the car has buckets with the fold down armrests, but maybe someone has put them in. The car has been in Japan apparently.

Ghoste

Getting the broadcast sheet info by providing the vin is only an option for the cars from 67 and back (and I'm not sure how far back).  From 68 to ? (78? 79?) there is a huge gap where the information was lost and Chrysler can no longer provide it.

hemi68charger

Doug, weren't buckets standard on all R/T's? Also, if the console wasn't ordered, then a buddy seat / column selector would be standard? I know in '70 all Charger R/T's had buckets with column auto as standard equipment...  I'll have to look at my sale brochures...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

71 Bee Man

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 16, 2007, 02:52:45 PM

Doug, weren't buckets standard on all R/T's? Also, if the console wasn't ordered, then a buddy seat / column selector would be standard? I know in '70 all Charger R/T's had buckets with column auto as standard equipment...  I'll have to look at my sale brochures...

The "fold down armrest" I mentioned may well be the buddy seat you're referring to. My main concern was whether or not 1971 R/T's actually came with coulumn auto - I was always of the belief that they would have at least been t-bar.

Peter

Brock Samson

sure they did. not big question there.. buddy seat = fold down arm rests... presumably for a middle passenger,.. has it got lap belts for three in front?

Hemidoug

Not sure on that, but the buckets/buddy seat is known as a split bench seat. It may have been an option instead of standard buckets (no cost option maybe). Someone with a sales brochure should be able to answer that one....

71 Beeman...can you post some pics of the car/interior? That would take some of the confusion of buckets/bench seat out of it......

Brock Samson

it's there on my third gen roar runner broshure..

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Hemidoug on November 16, 2007, 05:04:17 PM

Not sure on that, but the buckets/buddy seat is known as a split bench seat. It may have been an option instead of standard buckets (no cost option maybe). Someone with a sales brochure should be able to answer that one....

71 Beeman...can you post some pics of the car/interior? That would take some of the confusion of buckets/bench seat out of it......

The data book and color and trim book are available on line. You can see what was standard as well as the interior options:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

nakita7

71 Bee Man

Quote from: nakita7 on November 16, 2007, 09:40:56 PM
What's the scoop on this car?
G'day guys,

firstly, thanks heaps for taking time with this thread. The guy looking at the car ( like myself) is flying blind with no-one really to consult down here, other than you guys on the net.

First, it's the louvered hood.

Second, haven't got any interior shots yet.

Third......here's the big one.....he reckons the Vin number starts with WP29.

To my understanding all R/T's in 71 were WS29. Is that right. In saying that though, is it possible that if this car was originally exported to Japan (which i don't know....just throwing it out there) that the car could have carried that prefix ?

The engine has the numbers E440 8 19

I take this as being a 440 V8 made on the 19th August. Does the E stand for 1970, and if so is this the number a 71 R/T would have, because I know that my Bee was actually made in 1970, so one would assume the engine would be as well.

Again, any help is GREATLY appreciated. Just trying to either help the guy make a wise decision, or stop him from a costly mistake. :shruggy:

Thanks,

Peter
Sydney, Australia.

Ghoste

The second digit represents a trim level within the model and wouldn't have changed based on delivery destination.  I didn't write the rules for Chrysler so the room for error exists but it makes no sense and is unprecented as far as I know.  In 71 a WP would be a Charger 500 or SE.  Did he get the rest of the vin for you, specifically engine size?

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Ghoste on November 16, 2007, 11:50:40 PM
The second digit represents a trim level within the model and wouldn't have changed based on delivery destination.  I didn't write the rules for Chrysler so the room for error exists but it makes no sense and is unprecented as far as I know.  In 71 a WP would be a Charger 500 or SE.  Did he get the rest of the vin for you, specifically engine size?

Well......that's the other thing. I've been to the "My Mopar" decoder site and it tranlates to 383 two barrell. I can't help but think there's something amiss.

Ghoste

Those two red flags in the vin would tend to make me stay away from it if it is being promoted and priced as an actual RT.  If it's priced according to what it is, then I'd be going over very very carefully in case there are any other "discrepancies" with the car.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on November 17, 2007, 12:30:58 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 16, 2007, 11:50:40 PM

Well......that's the other thing. I've been to the "My Mopar" decoder site and it tranlates to 383 two barrell. I can't help but think there's something amiss.

QuoteThe engine has the numbers E440 8 19

E440 = an engine out a 69 model car. Check the VIN on the pad on the passenger's side of the block. With that early of an assembly date (Aug 19th) , I'll bet it has all 13 digits. That will tell you what it came out of.

Sounds like someone one is trying to pass off a 71 500 model as an R/T.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

nakita7

Not an RT. WP29 is an SE (WP23 would be a 500). Clone it? Part it? Drive it? Lots of options....

71 Bee Man

Quote from: nakita7 on November 17, 2007, 01:24:03 AM
Not an RT. WP29 is an SE (WP23 would be a 500). Clone it? Part it? Drive it? Lots of options....

G'day again guys,

I've stopped short of giving all the numbers etc simply because it's not my car and I'm just trying to help someone make the right decision. I'm also not in a oposition to comment on the seller - chance is that maybe they have been misled also, if that's the case.

I'm trying to get some pictures, but if you knew the price that was being asked for this car, then it's certainly on the "upper end" for what it actually is - even if it were an R/T. Mind you, that's once the Australian dollars including shipping etc is all factored in.

So basically, even if it were an Export car of sorts, it should still have the WS prefix - right ???

Peter

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on November 17, 2007, 02:14:15 AM
Quote from: nakita7 on November 17, 2007, 01:24:03 AM

So basically, even if it were an Export car of sorts, it should still have the WS prefix - right ???

Yes. An R/T model would have a WS prefix whether it was an export or not.

Hemidoug

Sounds to me like a clone....like others before stated...WP is SE or 500 NOT R/T. it would also explain the split bench seat.....One thing is for SURE...it's NOT an R/T.

mopar1

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on November 16, 2007, 02:41:44 AM
G'day guys,

someone I know is thinking of buying a 71 R/T Charger, but unfortunately the fender tags are missing. Is there a way to find out what info was on them ? He has the body number.

Also, did 71 R/T's ever come with column shift auto ? :shruggy:
If serious I have a beautiful 71 R/T in Canada,I can forward pics in order to make a offer. Let me know
Thanks,
:2thumbs:
Peter.