News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine rebuild Tools Needed aka List

Started by darrin75, November 21, 2007, 12:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrin75

I need a list of tools needed to rebuild engines, from top to bottom.  New at this.  Not sure i posted in the right section also, sorry.
Check out New Upcoming site.
http://www.mopartraffic.com

RD

wow... lets see..

dial indicator to check crankshaft endplay
ring compressor to install pistons into cylinders
torque wrench
8 pt socket for rear main bearing housing bolts
oil priming shaft
connecting rod stud covers when installing pistons (so as to not scratch the crank journals) usually rubber type slips
engine stand
a set of hex wrenches (standard)
a soft blow hammer
standard wrench and socket set
harmonic balancer removal and installation tool

and the most important tool... your noggin'  you will need that to study up on patience and to ask questions :D  good luck
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

A camshaft degree wheel.
A magnetic base for that dial indicator.
Micrometers can be handy.
A good notebook.

terrible one

Don't forget the drill to prime the oil pump with, using the shaft RD mentioned.

Get a GOOD torque wrench, like a 3/8" Proto.

The70RT

Ring expander pliers, cam bearing tool unless the machine shop is gonna do that for you. A ridge ream cutter tool to remove the pistons if you have a lip on the cyl. bores......I am sure someone will think of something else also.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

max

Quoteconnecting rod stud covers when installing pistons (so as to not scratch the crank journals) usually rubber type slips

cheap rubber fuel line works for that so don't spend alot of money for a special part.

everything listed above in the post look good, coarse i use an impact gun to take the engines apart. saves alot of time and sore muscles.

dukeboy_318

ziplock bags and a permenant marker to label everything and keep it straight, and a 2x4 to hold precent stuff from turning when you  try to remove stuf( ie, crankshaft moves when trying to remove rod caps or flexplate.  a good parts washer is needed too,  maybe some screw drivers for misc uses as well, a gasket scraper/putty knife to scrape off old gaskets and gunk, some WD 40 or PB Blaster to help loosen stuck bolts.  a 1/2 or bigger breaker bar for the stubborn crank pully nuts and bolts, 1 1/4 socket for the crank bolt, valve spring compressor if you pan on taking the heads apart, a couple grill cleaning brushes to help clean the parts, a torque wrench that reads in inch pounds as well as one that reads in foot lbs like mentioned above. channel locks, pliers, vice grips, a drip pan to catch the fluids a couple trash bags to cover the block to keep mositure from getting on it and causing anything to get  surface rust on it before and after the trip to the machine shop and an icase it wasnt mentioned, an engine hoist to move the motor out of the vehiicle and onto the stand,im sure theres more too,  :2thumbs:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

dukeboy_318

get a book like rebuiling Big block mopars or small block mopars that way you're have something to go off of and patience is the most important thing of all, not everything will come out or go in easy.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.