News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Junkyard 440

Started by GreenMachine, November 13, 2007, 02:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I was at the Pull-A-Part junkyard today looking for something for my truck and stumbled across this 440 in a truck. Someone had already taken the p/s pump, fan, alt., carb, & water pump. I noticed the ECU had melted crap running from behind it so I knew there was probably nothing wrong with the engine. Most of the older Mopars at the junkyard are there for that reason. So, 2 hours before closing time I called a friend and started to pull it. Right at closing time we had it out (all I had was a 3/8" socket set and misc. screw drivers and wrenches). Went to pay and he charged me for a longblock $ 79.00.  :icon_smile_shock: I never checked prices for engines there before, but assumed they were about $300 for complete engines. On my way out I checked the price list and it was $175 for complete and $79 for long block. If I had the right tools I would have left the heads and probably gotten out of there for $50. Is that about normal price or am I just used to paying more?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

chrisII

I would say its a good price. obviously its just a core, and I cant tell year from the numbers on the pad. I dont believe in decoding, I just look at the casting date on the side of the block. reguardless of year thats a good price for a 440. some will complain about low compreshon and cast cranks , but for a mild street motor you can run low compreshon engines on crap pump gas without an issue. properly tuned that 440 will make gobs of torque. torque is what gives seat of the pants "oomph".

rt green

i agree you got a good deal. no matter what year it is. you got a complete engine core for 1980's prices
third string oil changer

Chatt69chgr

I'd like to find a deal like that right now.  I bought an engine for $300 and got it home and found out that it had already been bored 40 over.  I havn't decided whether to use it or not.  I'd have to take it to 55.  It's a nice block besides that.  77, ears not broken, etc.  I think most around here want upwards of $500 for a engine now.  You are lucky if you can find one for $300.  Anybody had any problems going to 55 over on a 440?  I'am not so much worried about being able to rebore it later as I am about overheating.

dukeboy_318

you got a good deal especially on that.  Heck most places round here charge 300 or more for any motors.  So yeah, you got a deal.   :2thumbs:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

hutch

thats a hell of a deal.  its 250 for an engine core at most of the yards I have been to and 90% of them are 6cyl.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

charge it

I would buy as many $79.00 dollar 440's I could find.

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Cooperman

IF you could find a 440 in a UK junkyard, I think you'd pay between £500 and £800 (somewhere between $1000 and $1600!)  :brickwall:

I'm close to two US airbases here near Cambridge, but you still can't find engines like that, never mind at that price.  :drool5:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

six-tee-nine

Ya damn right Cooperman....

Picked up a bare 440 shortblock (no crank, pistons rods), for a stroker built, last week in Germany and paid 300 Euro's for it, that is 437 US dollars.
If you want a complete 440 over here you have to triple that price guys....

Trust me on this one you guys over there are in heaven when it comes to prices for parts  :icon_smile_wink:

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

GreenMachine

Well, to be honest, I had to pay a $10 core and $10 cherry picker rental (that had flat tires and a broken caster). So it really came to $99. I have seen a couple of other 440's there in the past but always thought they were more expensive and all the trouble of yanking them in less than ideal conditions. I have yet to see one in a car at that yard, always trucks. You have to pull the engine with the crap puller they rent you (no chain, have to cut a seatbelt out) and drop it in a wheel barrow and muscle it out to a main aisle then a forklift will deliver it to the front.
   My car already has a 440 in it, but 13.3 in the 1/4 isn't as fast as I used to think. So I'm gonna slowly build this up when money allows. This one's gonna be a stroker. I just don't like downtime, so once I get it built, one Saturday afternoon I'll swap 'em out.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 13, 2007, 09:16:19 AM
I'd like to find a deal like that right now.  I bought an engine for $300 and got it home and found out that it had already been bored 40 over.  I havn't decided whether to use it or not.  I'd have to take it to 55.  It's a nice block besides that.  77, ears not broken, etc.  I think most around here want upwards of $500 for a engine now.  You are lucky if you can find one for $300.  Anybody had any problems going to 55 over on a 440?  I'am not so much worried about being able to rebore it later as I am about overheating.

I had a 400/451 bored to .060 with stock cooling system and no overheating issues. I believe 440source.com has info on that.

remta1

Yep you got a good deal in NZ you would probably pay anywhere   us$900 to $1500  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

T  440 was in my 69 Charger.  My friend said "T" was a Truck block and was no different than a car block but when it was in a truck it was stamped "T".  Mine was a 1977 motor, but it's gone now as a week after I got the car it blew up because whom ever rebuilt it didn't :'( know you need to torque heads and use a bolt pattern, so it suked water and bent a rod.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69charger2002

dude i would buy 440's all day for $100.. even bare blocks.. 66-78 doesn't matter what year.. you did VERY good, even if he had charged you $300 with that one being mostly complete and probably standard bore.. you did very good
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

694spdRT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 14, 2007, 06:18:27 AM
T  440 was in my 69 Charger.  My friend said "T" was a Truck block and was no different than a car block but when it was in a truck it was stamped "T".  Mine was a 1977 motor, but it's gone now as a week after I got the car it blew up because whom ever rebuilt it didn't :'( know you need to torque heads and use a bolt pattern, so it suked water and bent a rod.

"T" is for the Trenton engine plant.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi