News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 charger, upper steering colum bearing change?????

Started by 69chargeryeehaa, November 14, 2007, 11:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargeryeehaa

Quick question for you guys, my 69 charger's steering wheel makes a loud "CCCCREEEEKKK" when turning, in one spot from every turn of the wheel.  It's driving me nuts, you feel it in the wheel, and it sounds like it's coming right from the base of the steering wheel.  When i was changing the steering wheel (to an after market grant) i noticed there is a bearing right at the top of the shaft under the wheel hub, with a snap ring.  So i assume you just pull the snap ring off, and the bearing just comes off?  or is it more difficult than that???
Also would anyone have the dimensions of the bearing? (ID, OD, width)? so i could go to a local bearing supplier and get a replacement?

thanks.  :cheers:

Chatt69chgr

I believe that bearing is still available from the dealer.  You will have to provide them with the part number.  I don't have it handy but someone on here will.

RD

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on November 14, 2007, 11:29:18 AM
Quick question for you guys, my 69 charger's steering wheel makes a loud "CCCCREEEEKKK" when turning, in one spot from every turn of the wheel.  It's driving me nuts, you feel it in the wheel, and it sounds like it's coming right from the base of the steering wheel.  When i was changing the steering wheel (to an after market grant) i noticed there is a bearing right at the top of the shaft under the wheel hub, with a snap ring.  So i assume you just pull the snap ring off, and the bearing just comes off?  or is it more difficult than that???
Also would anyone have the dimensions of the bearing? (ID, OD, width)? so i could go to a local bearing supplier and get a replacement?

thanks.  :cheers:

I have attempted to find a bearing at a local oreilly's but they did not have one, nor could they get one at the specific ID/OD requirements.  I checked the BCA/National catalog myself.

Frederickdodge on ebay does offer them though.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

y3chargerrt

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: y3chargerrt on November 15, 2007, 04:30:28 PM
The bearing part number is 2265656.

thanks for the part #, i just got it from the steelership, $29  :cheers: