News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sell or keep extra/orig charger parts???

Started by HITMAN 149, November 11, 2007, 02:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HITMAN 149

hey guys.......   :cheers:
just curious on what the consensous is.....  if i should keep all my orig stuff i'm going to replace on the car or sell it to offset the resto???
as an example.. my front seats... orig gauges.... steering wheel...ect..ect.... (things like that, that i'm replacing with newer stuff.)
just curiuos what you guys think.. keep it all??? or unload it to offset the new stuff?? keep in mind... i'm not a original/stock, nut & bolt type of guy.
thanks!!!!!!
:cheers:
-John
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

limey

Unload it.
Its difficult to store it all, the likelihood of you pulling the new stuff off and putting the old on is very slight, buying new stuff is costly, and other people may need what you have got, so you are helping keep cars on the road by selling your stuff on.
my :Twocents:
Nick
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

71ChallengeHer

I thought about doing the same thing with the AC stuff , the original steering wheel, intake,pulleys, carb ,  air cleaner , etc. I have everything on a shelf in the garage. I think I might hang on to the stuff. Just in case I ever sell it. That way if the new owner wants to put it back to original, they would have all the parts.

HITMAN 149

both of you read my mind!!! hahaha ::)
hmm what if i ever sell the ca??r (it's a true R/T.. and it's all bolt on stuff) this way it would be a lil more valuable w/ all the orig stuff?!?!
and also yea.. all the extra space the old shit takes up to keep!!! hahaaha and it would offset the cost of the expensive new stuff!!!!
aggghhhhhhhh decisions....decisions!!! LOL
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Ghoste

If you can find the space, my opinion is to hang onto it.  The cars that bring the money are always the ones with pedigrees and/or originality.

bull

I think it depends on what it is and how hard it is to find. Seats are very hard to find and very expensive so something like that I tend to hang on to much longer. I don't think you really need to hang onto a lot of duplicate stuff (like I do) but it doesn't hurt to hang onto the hard-to-find stuff until the car is completely done, just in case. You never know, you might change your mind and want that original stuff back.

I'm figuring on hanging on to a lot of stuff until the car is done and driving down the road. After that I'll feel more comfortable getting rid of stuff.

HITMAN 149

storage space isn't too much of an issue.. i have a 2 car garage w/ a loft above it!! mua-hahahaha
i was thinkin more along the lines of offsetting the cost of my resto.... as opposed to later on if i ever sell the car.
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

limey

Just to totally contradict what I said earlier...

My car has aftermarket race buckets...the previous owner had the original buckets in very bad shape. I hung onto them for months, intending to refurb the frames and get them reupholstered. I ended up moving house at short notice and having to put all my stuff in storage for 9 monhts while I renovated my new home....I was forced to dump the old seats. Now I'm spending time on the car again, I'm starting to wish I had kept them - as bull said, getting a replacement set of 68 seat frames in the UK is going to be difficult and costly, so if you have the space, maybe you should keep them..... ::) ::)

But then people like me can't buy your old seats off you....
Oh the agony of choice..... ;)
Nick
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

bill440rt

Since your car is an original R/T, here is my take:
If it's anything of VALUE that will benefit the car if you ever decide to sell it, then I'd keep it. Anything original to the car or date coded especially. I say that because your car is an R/T.
A date coded starter, alternator, voltage regulator, etc., YES!  A twisted up belt molding or a cracked piece of weatherstripping? NO! I think you get the idea.
On the other hand, I've sold a lot of parts I took off the '69 I'm building to fund the project. Partly because the car will NEVER be original (too many original items missing, 4-speed/auto trans conversion, no tag, non-R/T, etc), and the tight budget I'm on. It all depends on your financial situation as well.
Please don't get me wrong just because I stress the fact of your car being an R/T. If it were a completely matching-numbers 383 car, I'd probably say the same thing.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

suntech

Mine is not a matching # or anything like that, and it will be hard to put back to something that can remind about original, so i will sell all the stuff i´m not using.
In your case, R/T etc, i would hold on to the parts, till i was sure the car is like you want it, and then unload.
Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

bull

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on November 11, 2007, 04:31:01 PM
storage space isn't too much of an issue.. i have a 2 car garage w/ a loft above it!! mua-hahahaha
i was thinkin more along the lines of offsetting the cost of my resto.... as opposed to later on if i ever sell the car.

My experience is that you really aren't going to offset the cost that much and once the stuff is gone it's gone. What I do sometimes (other than working overtime and odd jobs) is run down to the local wrecking yard and buy some stuff to sell on Ebay and build up my PayPal account for more Charger part purchases. It helps if you can find a yard that specializes in older stuff but there's plenty of newer parts that sell great, like good taillights. I just bought five arm rests from the yard that will work on Chargers to sell on Ebay but I'm probably going to go back and pick up 2 or 3 sets of newer taillights to sell. Something that's semi exotic and expensive like Range Rover or Mercedez parts are always good. Heck, some of those friggin' Range Rover light bulbs are $30 each! I bought a bunch of Datsun Z-car parts a while back and that stuff sold pretty well so you just have to look around. Do a little research on Ebay to see what things are selling for and what's hot. You'll be surprised.

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

BlueSS454

I tend to keep everything I take off a car.  I have a 20 x 20 shed FULL of Chevelle parts from the 2 cars I restored and the 3 that I gutted and junked.  When I'm done with the last Chevelle I plan on doing, the 70 Convertible, I'm getting rid of it all, except for a few small parts I may need later.  I don't think I have a need for old control arms, trailing arms, scraped up and dented moldings, old wiring harnesses, old drum brake parts, etc.  I've already started giving some of it away to guys that need it.  I tried selling some stuff before but it was nothing more than a big pain in my ass.  I'd rather give it to someone that needs it as opposed to haggling with someone over a price.
I don't have a whole lot of leftover Charger parts to worry about except a few belt moldings, broken trim pieces, old body plugs, old arm rest bases, some alternators, distributors, and a bunch of rusty bolts that I'm probably going to end up tossing.
If it were anything of value that you can't get, I'd hang on to it, ya never know, kinda like the random LS6 Chevelle parts I have   :Twocents:
Tom Rightler

Nacho-RT74

I try to keep everything as posible from my original setup. for example standart cluster and wiring. I tryed to keep my original blue interior, but they were in really bad conditions so I ended dumping it... I woulnd't do anything with that becausr even If I  change back to blue I did need new parts ( repro or used ) anyway. just keeped the coat hooks and a kick panel that it was in good conditions.

will change to variable speed wiper but will keep my 2 speeds setup. Same about Radio when I change to AM/FM from my AM one, etc...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

Keep in mind that reproduction/aftermarket stuff alot of times is not as good of quality as the original parts.  You might find yourself wishing you had the original stuff just because it wont break as easily. 

68charger383

I just sold a bunch of E-body parts I had stored in my parents garage for 22 years.

Even with repops of some of the parts being available, my original parts sold for good money, but most of the prices seemed to be capped to around the price of the repops. I sold a shaker scoop, shaker baseplate etc etc...these items a few years ago would have probably sold for three times the amount. The parts which were not repoped sold at a much higher premium.

So if you have them, sell them now, especially if there isn't a repop of the part. The person that buys your car in the future can always buy repops or buy originals off ebay.  :Twocents:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

69bronzeT5

Well if you have room, keep the stuff unless you run into some money troubles. I plan on keeping everything that dosent go on my car. If I replace something, the old part will go away such as on the shelf or in the rafters. But thats right now, we might be moving to another house here so it depends on the space there...
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

VPFD13

GO BIG OR GO HOME

To be born free man is an accident, to live as one a responsibility and to die as one an obligation