News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone tried to slide the hood like Luke Duke?

Started by CB, September 30, 2005, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

Man, I think I'd break my balls trying this.
Anyone tried this at home?

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

mustanghater

I did it on a honda once. I slide across the hood and landed on my back.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Doc74

I did with the 68, I should've polished it first cuz i kinda bounced off, not pleasant  ;D
Did manage to get the window jumping down real good, my friend however tried to jump in without touching anything and planted his face on the roof, not a pretty sight, hehee  :D
Oh and the first time i jumped it, the door knob caught my skin, I think details are unnecessary ?
If you ask me Tom Wopat could slide like no other, I'll leave it to him.
How's the 69 doing btw ?

CB

Yea, window jumpin' wouldn't be easy either.
Only need to climb out when I parked the car to close to the wall due to my tiny garage.

(So Doc74, I need lower 1/4's installed, and prepared for paint.
Any chance you have time/space/..., very soon? Like next week or so?)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

PURTBOY

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, LUKES FAMOUS HOOD SLIDE WAS AN ACCIDENT!!! :icon_smile_big:

Doc74

Quote from: CB on September 30, 2005, 04:56:07 PM

(So Doc74, I need lower 1/4's installed, and prepared for paint.
Any chance you have time/space/..., very soon? Like next week or so?)

Yikes, I'll check but I'm not positive, I'll let you know early in the week, maybe if I can make the turn to get into my buddy's garage then I can prep it in a weekend (hopefully next) and paint it in the shop right after.
What needs to be donenbesides quarters and what about those themselves?
I saw they were weavy and who knows what I'll find underneath all the gum.

Wakko

And Tom scratched the hell out of his arm when he did that hoodslide in the credits to Dukes. 

CB, don't try it...you'll dent your hood!!!
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

moparguy01

I did it on my grand marquis in high school. scratched the crap out of the hood. haha. I dont plan on doing that to the charger. the window thing gets easy as you get used to climbing in and out because of the damn downbar on the roll bar....

FastbackJon

Sliding across the hood is one thing, but trying to quickly jump in through the side window of a '69 Charger, if you haven't removed the door lock, is another.

I wonder if they just cut off all the threaded door lock tops for the show. The '68's wouldn't be as bad as you all know the lock was farther back, but on a real '69, that thing would nail you where the sun don't shine.

:nutkick:
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

73ChargerSE

I used to do it with my Cadillacs.  Just to be a jackass and because the hoods were huuuuuge  :icon_smile_big:

Wakko

Yeah, they cut them off for the show.  In the movie you can see where they put a plug in the lock hole.  I should do that...my locks don't work anyway!
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

I dated a girl once and her kid brother used to try that stunt on the car that I owned at the time (around 1984).  It used to drive me insane because I just wanted to slap the little bugger on the back of the head every time I caught him doing it, but I didn't want to cut off the sugar.  The choice would be much easier today.  Now I know the sugar is always available.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Wakko on September 30, 2005, 06:24:47 PM
Yeah, they cut them off for the show. In the movie you can see where they put a plug in the lock hole. I should do that...my locks don't work anyway!
  Ian,

Companies I have talked to about re-producing the upper door pads (CudaMike on eBay (guy who does CORRECT dashes and headrests), I have mentioned that the Gen Lee guys would like SMOOTHE pads with no lock hole...  

When I was in Japan, I let my two buddies from H.S. "Garage Store" my '69...   I think it turned-into more of a "Central Ca. Dukesfest" instead...   They SWORE they didn't do the "Wopat-Slide" across the hood, but there were NOTICABLE scratches...     Later-on I heard stories of "Jumps" by a canal where the car SPARKED on the pavement coming down...   That thing only had XP suspension too...   OUCH... Well it's "All-good" now...   One of those Jokers now owns the car, so he inherited any damage done :)     :hah: karma sucks, don't it???   :smash:   heh...     :icon_smile_big:     :haha:

,Jude
P.S.
  Wakko, havent' you ever slid-across the hood of the Crown Vic on-duty in an emergency???   Sorta like Super Troopers?   :icon_smile_big:
You guys don't really do stuff like that do you?   heh...

Hey Mike, sign-up on here and post pix of my first Charger!   Put it in General Discussion, titled "C/A's First Charger".   Deal?  

Chargen69

I did it on a Malibu I used to have...        Waxed the hood real good before I did it though :METAL:

generalfan01

the first time tom jumped through the window he cut his back on the door lock, a huge cut all the way down his back! OUCH!

BrianShaughnessy

I did it once way back when when I weighed a lot less.   I waxed up the old '69 pretty good but it wasn't a smooth ride.   Between the depressions in the hood and the ridge in the center... it just didn't work out too well.   I remember something hurt for awhile   :icon_smile_blackeye:
It was the '70's and I'm sure I was under the influence of something or another  :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

kikgas01

Wakko

No hood slides for me.  I'd kill the hood with all those sharp protrusions on my belt.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chargerguy74

I do it to my buick all the time, sure is full of dents now.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Charged

Even though I have a 3rd gen and therefore its not right...I still wouldent, untill the day that Warner Bro. (or whoever) is paying for my hoods.

Charged

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on September 30, 2005, 05:39:51 PM
Sliding across the hood is one thing, but trying to quickly jump in through the side window of a '69 Charger, if you haven't removed the door lock, is another.

I wonder if they just cut off all the threaded door lock tops for the show. The '68's wouldn't be as bad as you all know the lock was farther back, but on a real '69, that thing would nail you where the sun don't shine.

:nutkick:

hmm how does one know..
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

THE COLONEL

Quote from: PURTBOY on September 30, 2005, 04:58:10 PM
IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, LUKES FAMOUS HOOD SLIDE WAS AN ACCIDENT!!! :icon_smile_big:

Yeah it was an accident.  Some how he lost his footing because he was supposed to vault totally over the hood, but got his foot caught up.  This is the slide you see in the opening credits, and in "Daisy's Song", episode 2.  He also ripped the antenna off the General, in that same slide.  If you have it in slow motion, the antenna catches him in the neck and rips it right off.  If you listen in the episode, you can hear him moan from the pain as he leaps into the window head first.  It sure did get a lot of attention though.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Lowprofile

With my fat ass, I couldn't afford the sheetmetal bills!  :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

MoparYoungGun

Have I tried it? Yep. Did it work? Nope. Lets just say I was hurting afterward :icon_smile_blackeye: .

69pistolgripRT

I used to jump in the window of an old targa porsche I had.  Tried it on a date , caught my left foot on the top of the door panel, fell head first into the car, and with the stuck left foot ripped a 6" tear down the center of the door panel.

smoooooth with the ladies.......
1969 RT 440 Pistol Grip 4-speed

Savannah, Ga

Wakko

Ah, but did you get any?  When I blew the headgaskets in the GN last December, the girl I was showing off to thought it was so cool she...ummm....yeah.    :D
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

BigBlockSam

i did it one time when i was younger. trying to get away from a cop, sorry Wakko
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

2fast4u

Definitely don't want to wear jeans that have the metal rivets in them.....they take paint off man
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Blown70

I did once.  Did not jump soon enough.... dented the fender.  OHHH well it was not my charger.  it was a POS it did hurt too 'cause I had a full head of steam running up to it.  I could not do it now I weigh too much.... :rotz:

Wakko

BigBlockSam...no apologies to me...you don't think I've run from the cops before?   :devil:
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Wakko on October 01, 2005, 01:40:51 PM
BigBlockSam...no apologies to me...you don't think I've run from the cops before? :devil:
OBVIOUSLY he got away too folks... :)

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Ghoste

I guess this has wandered enough off topic to share a not totally unrelated story.  A friend of mine dated a girl many years ago who enjoyed making out on the hood of his car.  It wasn't a Charger, it was a 68 Fury.  Anyway, she liked to park her butt over that crease that runs down the center portion of those hoods.  Over the course of a summer, they managed to create a pair of little dents on either side of that crease.  When he scrapped the car, he removed the hood and it hangs on the wall in his storage shed to this day.  The girl is long gone.

BigBlockSam

Quotehe removed the hood and it hangs on the wall in his storage shed to this day.  The girl is long gone.   
:smilielol:

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

JimShine

John Schneider topped it in a later episode. He did a roof slide, landed on the other side and jumped right into the car. If I remember the scene correctly they were parked in front of the courthouse. He used the curb as a platform to launch himself over the top of the car. I only remember seeing it once, so I am sure it was something he only got right maybe once.

Telvis

If my big lard butt did that the roof would collapse.

Headrope

Quote from: mustanghater on September 30, 2005, 04:45:58 PM

A Honda? Aren't those things made of plastic and fiberglass? You must be tiny.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Brock Samson

Quote from: mustanghater on September 30, 2005, 04:45:58 PM

You SURE it wasn't your head?..       :image_294343:

jgbailey57

when i got my charger out of the back yard and was putting it in the garage, my brother thought he would do the slide through the window deal.  i guess he wasn't thinking because the drivers side is missing the door jam so there's nothing to hold the door shut.  as soon as he touched the door it flew open and he landed on his ass and smacked his head on the door.  i later saw him running to do a hoodslide but i was able to stop him before he tried.
'69 Charger R/T patiently waiting in line to be restored... NOT WAITING ANYMORE!!!

Kern Dog

I've tried this on other cars but no way I'm taking the chance of damaging mine"

wingcar

I did the hood slide a couple of times on my 69 Charger back in the day.....never looked as good as when the duke boys did it....I guess I needed more wax on the hood.

Or...perhaps I just needed to mount one of these on the hood.........
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

DixieRestoParts

Not since 1983. Found out real quick, that don't work. Same on the door thing. Sometime in 1981 I learned that cars don't like to jump like on TV. I jumped one (brand x) at an intersection and the moment it went airborne, the nose dived and it took out the radiator, front spoiler and oil pan. I rode the bus to High School for the next month as punishment from my Dad for being a knucklehead. Too bad it didn't cure me.  ::)
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

ws23rt

Where are all the video clips being taken by the guy holding the beer?  :lol:

Ghoste

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 09, 2015, 01:58:49 AM
I've tried this on other cars but no way I'm taking the chance of damaging mine"

But by dredging up this old thread you may be turning a whole new crop of Charger fans on to the slide and before you know it becomes a "must do" for anyone who owns one and then by your hand you end up forced to break your own vow.  ;)

VegasCharger

Quote from: THE COLONEL on October 01, 2005, 01:26:27 AM
Yeah it was an accident.  Some how he lost his footing because he was supposed to vault totally over the hood, but got his foot caught up.  This is the slide you see in the opening credits, and in "Daisy's Song", episode 2.  He also ripped the antenna off the General, in that same slide.  If you have it in slow motion, the antenna catches him in the neck and rips it right off.  If you listen in the episode, you can hear him moan from the pain as he leaps into the window head first.  It sure did get a lot of attention though.

Good call :2thumbs:

Here's a YouTube clip from "Daisy's Song" episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akqKsOQ10OQ

It's at the 2:27 mark where Luke Duke starts the hurdle across the General's hood. You can hear the moan lol. I never knew about that until reading this thread. Also I freeze framed a pic just after Luke's landing and I put a green arrow in the pic pointing to the damaged antenna.

Man I loved those early Dukes episodes when it was filmed in Georgia. It was so genuine :cheers:

Mike DC

Tom Wopat was still wearing his normal street shoes while they rehearsed the shot.  He ran across the hood on foot.  That was the intention.  

But the Luke Duke cowboy boots didn't give as much traction.  When the cameras rolled, his boot slid out from under him upon hitting the hood, and history was made.  It's easier to spot the accidental part once you know to look for it.  

I used to do hood-slides on my '69 with my friends in high school.  It's harder than it looks.  

You really have to be running towards the car (and wearing pants) just to make it work.  Your ass will stall halfway across the hood if you're not going in 100% committed, or if the car is parked so you're sliding uphill even a little bit.  And you have to do it on the smooth part of the Charger hood behind the scallops & ahead of the cowl.   No other path across the front bodywork works very well.  If you land your ass/hip on a supported area (fender/hood intersection, hood/cowl intersection, etc) it hurts like hell.  

Ghoste

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 11, 2015, 08:52:01 AM

I used to do hood-slides on my '69 with my friends in high school.  It's harder than it looks.  

You really have to be running towards the car (and wearing pants) just to make it work.  

Are you saying you tried it naked??  :lol:

JB400

Mike DC

Naw, some teenage hot chick in Daisy Duke shorts tried it, and she friction-burned her thigh. 

That help? 

Ghoste

JB400

I would agree.  A visual aid would help though

Kern Dog

c00nhunterjoe

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Over the weekend, Tom Wopat signed our GL. I joked about sliding across the hood, but neither of us did.  :cheers: