News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone tried to slide the hood like Luke Duke?

Started by CB, September 30, 2005, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

Man, I think I'd break my balls trying this.
Anyone tried this at home?

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

mustanghater

I did it on a honda once. I slide across the hood and landed on my back.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Doc74

I did with the 68, I should've polished it first cuz i kinda bounced off, not pleasant  ;D
Did manage to get the window jumping down real good, my friend however tried to jump in without touching anything and planted his face on the roof, not a pretty sight, hehee  :D
Oh and the first time i jumped it, the door knob caught my skin, I think details are unnecessary ?
If you ask me Tom Wopat could slide like no other, I'll leave it to him.
How's the 69 doing btw ?

CB

Yea, window jumpin' wouldn't be easy either.
Only need to climb out when I parked the car to close to the wall due to my tiny garage.

(So Doc74, I need lower 1/4's installed, and prepared for paint.
Any chance you have time/space/..., very soon? Like next week or so?)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

PURTBOY

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, LUKES FAMOUS HOOD SLIDE WAS AN ACCIDENT!!! :icon_smile_big:

Doc74

Quote from: CB on September 30, 2005, 04:56:07 PM

(So Doc74, I need lower 1/4's installed, and prepared for paint.
Any chance you have time/space/..., very soon? Like next week or so?)

Yikes, I'll check but I'm not positive, I'll let you know early in the week, maybe if I can make the turn to get into my buddy's garage then I can prep it in a weekend (hopefully next) and paint it in the shop right after.
What needs to be donenbesides quarters and what about those themselves?
I saw they were weavy and who knows what I'll find underneath all the gum.

Wakko

And Tom scratched the hell out of his arm when he did that hoodslide in the credits to Dukes. 

CB, don't try it...you'll dent your hood!!!
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

moparguy01

I did it on my grand marquis in high school. scratched the crap out of the hood. haha. I dont plan on doing that to the charger. the window thing gets easy as you get used to climbing in and out because of the damn downbar on the roll bar....

FastbackJon

Sliding across the hood is one thing, but trying to quickly jump in through the side window of a '69 Charger, if you haven't removed the door lock, is another.

I wonder if they just cut off all the threaded door lock tops for the show. The '68's wouldn't be as bad as you all know the lock was farther back, but on a real '69, that thing would nail you where the sun don't shine.

:nutkick:
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

73ChargerSE

I used to do it with my Cadillacs.  Just to be a jackass and because the hoods were huuuuuge  :icon_smile_big:

Wakko

Yeah, they cut them off for the show.  In the movie you can see where they put a plug in the lock hole.  I should do that...my locks don't work anyway!
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

I dated a girl once and her kid brother used to try that stunt on the car that I owned at the time (around 1984).  It used to drive me insane because I just wanted to slap the little bugger on the back of the head every time I caught him doing it, but I didn't want to cut off the sugar.  The choice would be much easier today.  Now I know the sugar is always available.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Wakko on September 30, 2005, 06:24:47 PM
Yeah, they cut them off for the show. In the movie you can see where they put a plug in the lock hole. I should do that...my locks don't work anyway!
  Ian,

Companies I have talked to about re-producing the upper door pads (CudaMike on eBay (guy who does CORRECT dashes and headrests), I have mentioned that the Gen Lee guys would like SMOOTHE pads with no lock hole...  

When I was in Japan, I let my two buddies from H.S. "Garage Store" my '69...   I think it turned-into more of a "Central Ca. Dukesfest" instead...   They SWORE they didn't do the "Wopat-Slide" across the hood, but there were NOTICABLE scratches...     Later-on I heard stories of "Jumps" by a canal where the car SPARKED on the pavement coming down...   That thing only had XP suspension too...   OUCH... Well it's "All-good" now...   One of those Jokers now owns the car, so he inherited any damage done :)     :hah: karma sucks, don't it???   :smash:   heh...     :icon_smile_big:     :haha:

,Jude
P.S.
  Wakko, havent' you ever slid-across the hood of the Crown Vic on-duty in an emergency???   Sorta like Super Troopers?   :icon_smile_big:
You guys don't really do stuff like that do you?   heh...

Hey Mike, sign-up on here and post pix of my first Charger!   Put it in General Discussion, titled "C/A's First Charger".   Deal?  

Chargen69

I did it on a Malibu I used to have...        Waxed the hood real good before I did it though :METAL:

generalfan01

the first time tom jumped through the window he cut his back on the door lock, a huge cut all the way down his back! OUCH!

BrianShaughnessy

I did it once way back when when I weighed a lot less.   I waxed up the old '69 pretty good but it wasn't a smooth ride.   Between the depressions in the hood and the ridge in the center... it just didn't work out too well.   I remember something hurt for awhile   :icon_smile_blackeye:
It was the '70's and I'm sure I was under the influence of something or another  :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

kikgas01

Wakko

No hood slides for me.  I'd kill the hood with all those sharp protrusions on my belt.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chargerguy74

I do it to my buick all the time, sure is full of dents now.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Charged

Even though I have a 3rd gen and therefore its not right...I still wouldent, untill the day that Warner Bro. (or whoever) is paying for my hoods.

Charged

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on September 30, 2005, 05:39:51 PM
Sliding across the hood is one thing, but trying to quickly jump in through the side window of a '69 Charger, if you haven't removed the door lock, is another.

I wonder if they just cut off all the threaded door lock tops for the show. The '68's wouldn't be as bad as you all know the lock was farther back, but on a real '69, that thing would nail you where the sun don't shine.

:nutkick:

hmm how does one know..
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

THE COLONEL

Quote from: PURTBOY on September 30, 2005, 04:58:10 PM
IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, LUKES FAMOUS HOOD SLIDE WAS AN ACCIDENT!!! :icon_smile_big:

Yeah it was an accident.  Some how he lost his footing because he was supposed to vault totally over the hood, but got his foot caught up.  This is the slide you see in the opening credits, and in "Daisy's Song", episode 2.  He also ripped the antenna off the General, in that same slide.  If you have it in slow motion, the antenna catches him in the neck and rips it right off.  If you listen in the episode, you can hear him moan from the pain as he leaps into the window head first.  It sure did get a lot of attention though.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Lowprofile

With my fat ass, I couldn't afford the sheetmetal bills!  :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

MoparYoungGun

Have I tried it? Yep. Did it work? Nope. Lets just say I was hurting afterward :icon_smile_blackeye: .

69pistolgripRT

I used to jump in the window of an old targa porsche I had.  Tried it on a date , caught my left foot on the top of the door panel, fell head first into the car, and with the stuck left foot ripped a 6" tear down the center of the door panel.

smoooooth with the ladies.......
1969 RT 440 Pistol Grip 4-speed

Savannah, Ga