News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2008 BULLETT Mustang

Started by Brock Samson, November 09, 2007, 10:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

i'm lifting this from www.autoextremist.com

(Photos courtesy of Ford)
Forty years after the original "Bullitt" Mustang made its debut with Steve McQueen behind the wheel, Ford is introducing the 2008 version of its famous "Bullitt" Mustang at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show next week. The new Bullitt Mustang will be available beginning in January, with each car receiving a special serial number, and a total of 7700 units to be built for the U.S. and Canada. The 2008 Bullitt Mustang will be the second tribute to the iconic 1968 Bullitt Mustang. Ford also offered a specially modified Bullitt Mustang GT in 2001 after teasing the concept at the 2000 Los Angeles International Auto Show. The new 2008 Bullitt arrives at Ford dealers in January, resplendent in the original Dark Highland Green paint color. Completely devoid of any emblems, just like the original, with a tasteful chrome strip around the grille opening, the new Bullitt is the first Mustang in history not to wear the traditional pony emblem anywhere on the bodywork. The Bullitt will have 315 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque from its 4.6-liter V-8 with unique-to-the-Bullitt low restriction cold air induction package, a few key suspension tweaks including a front shock tower brace (where the special Bullitt serial numbers will be stamped) and a lowered ride height in the rear. The 2008 Mustang Bullitt has unique cast-aluminum Euroflange wheels, offering a modern twist on the original movie car. The Dark Argent Gray spokes feature a satin finish, while a pight-machined lip completes the look. Calipers are colored to match the wheel. The wheels are wrapped in the same P235/50ZR 18 BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS tires used on Mustangs at the Ford Racing High Performance Driving School at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. An engine-turned dash applique, a polished aluminum shift ball and other Bullitt interior details complete the package. The new Bullitt Mustang will have a starting price at just under $31,000.

Ghoste

Hmmm, might have to see that one in person a few times to get used to it.  I like what I can see of the interior but that grille just leaves me cold.  They're no Charger for sure, but the Mustangs are still a sexy little car in their own way.

Old Moparz

I like it, & firmly believe the price will be far more affordable than any Challenger that's offered.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

it would be interesting if the Dodge Boys did their own version of a Bullett Charger, but since most of them i see are black and blacked out anyway Who'd notice,  :-\ and they'd have to put hupcaps on 'em,..  :scratchchin: on second thought jus forgeddaboudit..  :brickwall:

(i often wonder about all the folks on here who say they're gonna get a Neo Chally and their allready on the list etc. when it finally gets here it will be old news and way over priced, so, unless you really can afford to just write a check and hope it will get you laid,.. who cares?)

Old Moparz

Dave, I'd seriously consider selling a couple of things to get a Challenger in a couple of years, but not if they are priced for rich mental patients. It's still a car, not a friggen' house with a mortgage. The dealers will mark it up dramatically killing any chance of me owning one. I like my truck, & my older cars, but I would also like to get a new car to drive fairly regularly that isn't old.

The only way I can do that is to sell a couple of things first. I had thought seriously about a Mustang until the Challenger was a go, but if it stays above $30K I'll pass. I could put a decent amount of money down & make payments, but I just won't do that to own a car. My leftover 2004 truck was cheap, a $36K sticker for $23K. That same price range is what I consider the value on the new Challenger.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

You and me both.  We just bought a Nitro so I hope when it's time is up in three years the Challenger prices have normalized for us.

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 09, 2007, 10:56:12 PM
it would be interesting if the Dodge Boys did their own version of a Bullett Charger, but since most of them i see are black and blacked out anyway Who'd notice,  :-\ and they'd have to put hupcaps on 'em,..  :scratchchin: on second thought jus forgeddaboudit..  :brickwall:

They've used every other sales gimmick in the book during the past two years, why pass on this one?

69bronzeT5

Yea....it would be sweet to see Dodge make a black Charger and then do a Bullitt battle
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

C_stripes

in order for dodge to even consider a bullitt charger, They need to pull their heads out there ass' and make it a two door.    I'd buy 3.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

miller

Quote from: bull on November 10, 2007, 12:15:50 AM

They've used every other sales gimmick in the book during the past two years, why pass on this one?

what other special editions have they done? the shelby gt-H, the gt500, bullitt.. but they have yet to do any boss cars, or the mach one.. i actually kind of like the special editions because it reminds me of the old cars, why make the car look like the old ones and not have the special editions?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Silver R/T

hmm, 2 door bullitt replica Chargers wouldnt sell anyways, why make them. Right...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Forza

Mmm Mmm Mmm that sure is pretty. If I won the lotto that'd definatley be on the list of things to get.

FastbackJon

Cool, wonder what production numbers will be like and if I'll see one out on the street.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Brock Samson

Quote from: miller on November 10, 2007, 01:12:46 AM

what other special editions have they done? the shelby gt-H, the gt500, bullitt.. but they have yet to do any boss cars, or the mach one.. i actually kind of like the special editions because it reminds me of the old cars, why make the car look like the old ones and not have the special editions?

Err,.. Ahem..

nudge, nudge...

bull

I'm talking about all the once-great names Chrysler has been pulling out of its vault lately and recycling and/or revamping such as Hemi, R/T, Daytona, Power Wagon, Rumble Bee, Demon, Challenger, Charger, etc. The only thing I've seen that comes close to representing any of those names is the Challenger.

dads_69

Yep, leave it to Ford to build what the consumer is wanting, modern muscle cars. Dodge is playing catch up but still far behind. Not sure if this idea has came up yet or not, but if Ford is going to build repo's of the Bullitt, why doesn't Dodge build a new Challenger into a Vanishing Point repo? When the new Chally shows up at dealers,I'll be there for sure with digi cam. I'm still tossing the coin on whether to buy a new Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel or Ford diesel. I still have time to decide.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Already did it in 2001....don't know why they needed another one? :shruggy:

Cool car though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

miller

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 10, 2007, 01:54:53 AM

Err,.. Ahem..

nudge, nudge...

are they actually going to produce that boss... that is a nice looking car

is that gt500 suppose to resemble the mach 1?...  are they going to make that one also?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

HITMAN 149

THAT 2008 MUSTANG IS FRIGGGGGGIN FUGLY!!! AND I LIKE THE NEW STANGS!!! BUT THAT JUST LOOKS HIDEOUS TO ME!!! :eek2:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

HITMAN 149

68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

TUFCAT

This is taken from a Ford press release dated 11/7/2007, from Ford Motor Company Public Affairs:

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THEN AND NOW:  TEN MUSTANG BULLITT TRIVIA NUGGETS

With more than 500 movie roles, the Ford Mustang's filmography includes action flicks, spy films and light-hearted comedies.  But Bullitt remains the ultimate Mustang film for car enthusiasts worldwide.  Now, 40 years after the original first hit the big screen, the 2008 Mustang Bullitt returns to the streets, blending the best Mustang ever with the latest Ford Racing technology.  Here's a look at what's changed over the years:   

1.   Undercover Appeal – Hollywood pared down the original 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 to give the car a stealthy appearance for film, removing the driving lights, running pony grille emblem, Mustang lettering and even the GT badges.  The 2008 Mustang Bullitt recalls the movie car – right down to the Dark Highland Green paint and lack of exterior badges, scoops and spoilers.  The only visible identification is the word "Bullitt" dropped into a gun-sight graphic in the center of the decklid.  A new black-mesh grille on the 2008 Bullitt is devoid of the standard chrome pony and is accented by a satin aluminum strip that represents the chrome grille surround on the 1968 car.

2.   Great Performances – For his role as Frank Bullitt, Steve McQueen was voted "World Film Favorite" by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.  But 1968 wasn't the last time the legendary actor delivered on-screen thrills in a Ford Mustang. Thanks to the magic of special effects, audiences watched McQueen climb into a 2005 Mustang GT and race around a unique cornfield road course built especially for the duo by a farmer in a Ford ad entitled Cornfield. The commercial premiered in movie theatres nationwide in fall 2004 before it appeared on television.  Fans can still check it out on www.youtube.com

3.   Tale of Two Cars – Two 1968 Mustang GTs with 390 cubic-inch engines were purchased and modified for the making of Bullitt.  One was badly damaged by the time shooting ended and was destroyed.  In 1972, the remaining car was purchased by its current owner, who bought it under the stipulation that his name remain anonymous.  The car was kept at his father's garage until 1990, when it was moved to a horse farm in the Midwest after a Mustang enthusiast took spy photos.  Today, the location of the car remains a mystery.  Some say the owner moved that car again to his house where it sits, unrestored, in the garage next to his Porsche.

4.   Sweet Sounds – An emphasis on realism drove the chase scene in Bullitt to movie greatness – right down to the soundtrack.  Rather than opting for high-powered music to support the heart-racing action, Bullitt's 10-minute car chase showcased the throaty roar of the engine, frenetic downshifting and squealing tires. The natural sound of this quintessential action scene helped earn the film an Academy Award® nomination for Best Sound. 

Featuring the latest from Ford Racing Technology, the 2008 Bullitt's exhaust note is as close to the original movie car as possible.  Ford engineers based the new car's rumbling sound quality on a digitally remastered DVD.  The custom-designed dual exhaust system features a new H-pipe specifically developed for Bullitt.  If theme music is warranted, drivers can crank up the Bullitt's Shaker 500 Audio System.

5.   Safety First – Steve McQueen (and stunt drivers) buckled up before racing the Highland Green 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390, specially modified to run the bad guys off the road, at speeds of up to 110 mph along the streets of San Francisco.  Concerned residents along the film route reportedly called the San Francisco Police Department and City Hall during filming of the now-legendary jump sequence.  Some say the San Francisco authorities were led to believe the cars wouldn't exceed speeds of 35 mph.

Designed for performance, the 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt delivers the thrill of the original – along with a host of features scarcely imagined in 1968.  Standard content includes an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with traction control, seat-mounted side air bags, LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children), Ford's Personal Safety System®, SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS); and the company's Tire Pressure Monitoring System.  (Ford advises consumers to buckle up, drive safely and obey posted speed limits.)   

6.   Sport-tuned – Bullitt's 390 cubic-inch V-8 introduced big-block performance to the Mustang. For 2008, Ford dials the driving dynamics up a notch for Mustang enthusiasts. Ford engineers modified the 2008 Mustang Bullitt's chassis and suspension to fine-tune handling and ensure the extra horsepower and torque from the 4.6-liter V-8 is put to good use.  The live rear axle uses a 3.73:1 gear that helps launch the Bullitt with vigor. 

Stock Mustang GT shocks and struts were swapped out for new units that allowed engineers to dial in a more aggressive driving dynamic and deliver the most balanced Mustang yet.  A tower-to-tower brace designed specifically for the Bullitt lends additional torsional and lateral stiffness to the chassis for improved cornering and holds a unique serial number for each Bullitt. The brakes also have been improved versus the base Mustang GT's.  More aggressive front pads were developed specifically for Bullitt and improve fade resistance and pedal feel. 

7.   Insider's View – Driver's-view shots let audiences in on the thrill of the chase in Bullitt, along with giving them a glimpse of the Mustang GT's spartan, no-nonsense interior.  The 2008 Mustang Bullitt maintains an understated mystique, with a graphically clean interior, sporting charcoal black leather and race-inspired accents – including a hand-machined, aluminum swirl dash panel appliqué.  Consumers also can set the mood with available ambient lighting.       

8.   Did You See That? – The chase scene in Bullitt took more than two weeks to film, resulting in 9 minutes and 42 seconds of edited footage that helped Frank P. Keller earn an Academy Award® for Film Editing.  Filming in a working city, with locations spread out over a considerable part of San Francisco, helped generate a number of continuity lapses that are either overlooked or celebrated by Bullitt aficionados.  A few disjointed street sequences emerge when the footage from certain streets is reused. (Audiences are tipped off when a green Volkswagen, yellow cab and white Firebird reappear several times.) The Dodge Charger driven by the villains loses no fewer than eight hubcaps during the chase.  Still, for many, no other chase scene before or since has come close to equaling it.

9.   Clean Machine – 1968 was the first year in which vehicle emissions were regulated by the U.S. federal government but cars still burned leaded fuel and catalytic converters were still years away.  All 1968 Mustang engines incorporated an exhaust emission control system. Today's vehicles produce 99 percent fewer smog-forming emissions than cars in the 1970s. The 2008 Mustang Bullitt's 4.6-liter three-valve engine delivers low emissions and is in compliance with MuCalifornia's stringent Low Emissions Vehicle II (LEV II) standard.

10.    Need for Speed – Then: The original 1968 Mustang GT 390 boasted a 0-60 time of 7.8 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 15.2 seconds at 94.0 mph, according to Motor Trend.  Now:  Ford engineers modified the 2008 Mustang Bullitt's chassis and suspension to fine-tune handling and ensure the extra horsepower and torque from the 4.6-liter V-8 is put to good use. Motor Trend clocks the 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt at 5 seconds even for 0-60, with a quarter-mile time of 13.7 seconds at 102.7 mph.

bull

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on November 10, 2007, 02:12:24 PM
THAT 2008 MUSTANG IS FRIGGGGGGIN FUGLY!!! AND I LIKE THE NEW STANGS!!! BUT THAT JUST LOOKS HIDEOUS TO ME!!! :eek2:

Yea, and the '08 Charger looks awesome, right? :D

Brock Samson

i like that it's cleaner without the wings and scoops,.. which look kinda' silly to me
but the grill looks empty...  :icon_smile_wink:
that price point is mighty attractive...

Khyron

I would buy it. As of right now Ma Mopar has nothing that interests me.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.