News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner Removal

Started by john108, November 26, 2007, 02:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Charger
Because I happen to have to work inside the car with the headliner seams torn and insulation falling all over the place, I thought that this is a good time to remove the original headliner.  I would like to ask a few questions:
1.  The interior trim running above the side windows covering the edges of the headliner.  I only found one screw near the front.  How does it come off?  Do you just pry it down?
2.  Behind the rear side windows, covered by the headliner, is a cardboard panel.  There appears to be something like a nail head holding it to the frame.  How do you handle removing this panel and replacing it. 
3.  The headliner that covered the above cardboard panel appears to be sewn to the package tray.  How do you deal with this joint when replacing the headliner?  Also on this subject, how is the package tray removed and reinstalled (probably a new tray)?
John

Charger-Bodie

1 to remove the side trim A. remove the screw , then gently pull the part down, it has clips that slide onto a pinch welded flat edge.

2 remove the nail like faster with a pliers ,it will pull out

3 the rear package tray will slide right out, but you will need the rear seats out first.......... the head liner is not sewn to the tray , the tray had a piece sewn to the edge and is separate.

PS also , make sure when you take the headliner out, that you keep the bows in order. Infact if you can leave them in the material and just roll it up thats the best way to keep it in order. Also take extra care not to lose any of the Little clips that hod it to the pinch weld  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

john108

1hot68 - Thank you
The seams in the headliner have desintegrated and the material that hold the bows is weaker than tissue paper.  The headliner falls down but the bows are in place.  If I take them down, I will tag and photograph everything.
Thank you again.  I see more questions coming soon.  I will keep you in mind.

John

Charger-Bodie

No Problem John!! Glad to help!! :yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............