News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's up with 4 speed linkage, 68 Charger

Started by MaMopar, October 17, 2007, 08:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaMopar

How often is the linkage supposed to be adjusted (tightened up)?  We tightened this up 3 weeks ago, only take the Charger out on weekends.  The pedal dropped 2" again.  I never had a 4 speed muscle car before.  Is this normal to adjust this every couple of weeks, or does it need tightened up every time we take her out?  This really seems strange.  I have had 98 Dodge Neon R/T & 06 PT Cruiser GT both 5 speed, never had this happen.  What's up with this.  Any ideas or suggestions.

MaMopar
MaMopar

Ghoste

Just based on my experiences, it can be normal.  I think it dpends on how heavy the clutch is and how often it is used and so forth.  I have had four speed cars that went relatively long between adjustments and I have had them that needed it every one or two weeks. :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

Check the welds on the Z-bar where the levers are welded to the tube. They sometimes break and the lever slowly pulls away from the tube with each pedal stroke.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MaMopar

Thank you guys,

The Z-bar welds are ok,  we'll do whatever it takes to keep her tightened up.  There are no lock washers, are there supposed to be?

MaMopar
MaMopar

tecmopar

If your talking about that dopey split nut that holds the cup washer, Its a single nut set-up but I always double nut it so it can't move, good luck.

Chryco Psycho

if it is a Mopar / Hays Pressure plate , we have run into 4 in a row that do not work correctly & had to be replaced due to constant adjustment , Mopar actually refunded the $$.... weird  they never admit to a problem with their stuff

MaMopar

After lots of adjusting, I think We'll have to replace something.  We have adjusted out toward the rear of the car this made the clutch engage all the time.  Then back in the other way, I can't seem to find the sweet spot.  I get 1st thru 4th ok then reverse grinds, or I get reverse and 1st grinds.  Probably something needs replaced.  The linkage was all screwed up when we purchased the car.  The clutch adjuster was not @ 90 degrees.  The Z-bar was flopping around, not tight. I just wonder what knuckle head undid all that was right with this car.  Some guys have a better idea, probably a Pford, cause they are still looking for a better idea.  We'll get this fixed up over the winter and next spring it'll all be good.
MaMopar