News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Long has your Charger been a project?

Started by Leonidas Rex, November 09, 2007, 12:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonidas Rex

I have had my 68 Charger RT for almost 2 years now. I almost had to sell the car a couple of months ago but was able to clear up some finances to keep it. I already have all the parts I need that I cannot buy reproduced. All of the pans have been replaced. The car now needs to be stripped and primed to continue the body work. I feel like this is never going to get done. After next year, the finances will clear up significantly. Then, I can put full concentration on the car. Just frustrating to see it sit.

How long has your project sat unfinished? For the guys that have finished, how long did it take you?

NYCMille

1st_charger

From start to finish 9 years and 7 months give or take a week! but in that time I also finished college, bought a house got married and had a daughter in that order!

Start
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/scottiboy/?action=view&current=chargerbefore1.jpg

Finish
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/scottiboy/?action=view&current=charger004.jpg

Actually Finish is the wrong word! We'll say road worthy it will never be finished!

TruckDriver

4 years. But the car sat by a friend in Arizona til' Aug. '05. Ad since then, it has been in storage with some little things being done to it.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Slowpoke

68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

HITMAN 149

brought it home oct 7th last year!!!!!!!  hope to have it pretty much done for the summer!?!?!?!?  ::)
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Skyview69

18 years and counting for my 71 Charger  :shruggy:

4 years for my 69 Charger  :brickwall:

Mass_Mopar

Quote from: NYCMille on November 09, 2007, 12:20:56 PM
Since the day I bought it.

what he said

Bought it in 2001, took me 2 years to replace 4 floor pans, the truck pans, the extensions, the gas tank, fix the brakes, etc before I drove it for the first time.  Then another 1.5 years down for me to put a new driver's 1/4 on it and a new radiator in it and rebuild the carb :2thumbs:

-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

miller

about 4 1/2 years now... floors, trunk, interior, a little motor work... the big stuff is yet to come, we do little things ever year, but to be realistic until im out of college its hard to really give it a complete restoration, so its going to be a project for at least 4 more years!

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

jgbailey57

coming up on 8 years and counting for me, last time it was registered was 1992.  but i'm making progress, i bought a fender for it last week.
'69 Charger R/T patiently waiting in line to be restored... NOT WAITING ANYMORE!!!

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

Bought the 69 in 1991 and "finished" it in 2005. 

For those that have not got their's done yet don't worry...they are never really done anyway.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

hemi68charger

'69 C500: running driving car that will eventually need a cosmetic resto.
'68 hemi Charger R/T: Owned for 10 years, been in the painting situation for over 5 yrs. But, that'll soon end
'70 six pack Charger R/T: I've had the car about 2.5 years now and it needs to be restored....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

HITMAN 149

Quote from: 694spdRT on November 09, 2007, 02:01:54 PM
Bought the 69 in 1991 and "finished" it in 2005. 

For those that have not got their's done yet don't worry...they are never really done anyway.  ;)
yea aint that the truth!!! just like my harley.. i bought it brand spankin new in 2001... and i still have tons of things i wanna do to it!!!  LOL
i guess that's what the winters are for!!! hahaha
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

68chrgrwife

Quote from: chargerman68 on November 09, 2007, 01:29:05 PM
mine going on 6yrs....

yeah but it sat for almost 2 1/2 years before any real work was done then it sat again for alomst 2 years while slowly being worked on and not it has been 2 years since we got it back and it is still not done..ok maybe it is but you keep finding more to be done.... :smilielol: :smilielol:
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Joshua

I've always made changes to mine during the 18 years I've been driving it.......but now that it's actually APART, it'll probably stay that way for 5+ years........ :'(

41husk

I took my Challenger convertible apart in 1992 and it is getting close but still not in paint, so 15 years and counting.  The chargers I got into drivable decent drivers with in about a years time each.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

bought the 69 six months ago almost running now.       Been working on the superbird convertible for 11 years
   you can read about that tale on this thread   
  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32617.msg355414.html#msg355414
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chatt69chgr

About 3 years.  I have bought several thousand dollars worth of parts  and restored several individual items but the car has not been taken apart yet.  The most important thing I have done is accumulate technical information concerning how to to my restoration and determine where to get the items I need.  I have chased the hardest to find items first particularly items that may not be reproduced as well as items that are available as reproductions now but may not be in the future.  This is a retirement project for me.  Something that I am enjoying and that I don't care about hurrying up.  When I get tired of messing around with the car, I delve into another of my hobbies for a while----book collecting and photography.  I fully expect that it will take 4 or 5 more years to get the car finished.

six-tee-nine

I only have mine for 6 months now but exept undenting the center grill trim piece i haven't done anything yet....too busy restoring my house for the moment...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Leonidas Rex

Now I don't feel so bad. Life just happened to place all of my projects on hold. I figured on at least 5 years so maybe that is not an unrealistic goal.

kink67

About 4 years for my 66 and counting.    My new project 68 R/T will be a little longer 4 or 5 years

Rich

grdprx

I've had my 68 for 2.5 months and I can't wait to get it on the road!  I hope for this up coming summer, but it needs a ton of work.  Paint, motor rebuild, etc, etc...  We'll see.....