News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Long has your Charger been a project?

Started by Leonidas Rex, November 09, 2007, 12:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xp29f8b

Bought it in Oct 02 and then in 05 I cut it up and replaced the complete trunk, both 1/4's, rear vallance + caps. Now it sit's in storage till I return home. Still have a long way to go. :'(
to

400/6/PAC

modmidget

I bought my 68 and let it sit in the back yard for about 4 years.  Started the restore on Thanksgiving weekend, entered it in a car show 15 months later and came home with 2 first place trophies.  Got Best 1965 - 1972 Stock Division and Best Mopar in Show.  I did everything except body and paint myself.  Spent at least 3 hours a day through the workweek on it and 5 to 8 hours every Saturday and Sunday on it.

The car already had a brand new long block engine and tranny when I bought it, so I didn't have to mess with the drive train.

onebadmopar

ten years on mine started as a friend of mines project he moved to wisconsin and the car stayed in massachusettes he passed away and the car sat 2 years before anyone decided what to do with it. since i had so much time into it already.. i bought it. purchase drained my finances so it sat again for another 2 then divorce really screwed things up sat for 3 more years with very little getting done to it .finally i got enough money to get the quarters and trunk pan done .....then paint then relocated from massachusettes to alabama left the charger up there for another year now its home and getting alot of progress done......so hope fully by march i,ll be driving it .. but she,ll never really be done

TK73

Running/driving "project" for 7 years... can't sit on a vehicle that doesn't run for very long.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

morepower

umm its been a slow project the whole time i had it like 6 years now myself and 6 with my dad, but it was a driveable project, now its roofless, but i can still fire her up! but havnt driven her on the street in over 2 years
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

charger_mike75

I'm goin on 14 years now.  I'm kinda slow too.  :icon_smile_big:

keepat

13 months from basket case to completely restored! Looking for the next car!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: keepat on November 10, 2007, 08:35:30 PM
13 months from basket case to completely restored! Looking for the next car!

i bought my charger in september 06 and "finished " it in march 07 .....but i still skick with them never being done !! .......and yes it also was done on the rotisserie and all the way restored ! even got 2 1st place tropies atall mopar shows. :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

rt green

terrible one- its been 3 years since you got the charger? man, has time flown. had mine for 5 years now, and have been collecting parts. restored a few things hear and there, but had life and other projects going on. i have a serious motorcycle addiction and i need help. maybe i could join a group that sit around and talk about their motorcycle addiction, drink 5 pots of coffee and smoke 5 pack of smokes a nite.  maybe that could get a fire under my ass to get the charger done
have been working on the garage to keep what heat i can afford in it, so when its ten below out there i'll have something to do.     bruce
third string oil changer

dc69383

Goin' on 5 years....Spent 1 yr. at the paint shop and  I let sit 1 yr. Hope to have it done for Spring.
'69 IS FINE

Lowprofile

12+ years and counting..............don't ask.  :rotz:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

suntech

Bought mine in February this year, but did not get to touch it before in June. ( I live in Noway, car in the US) Went over in June, and went for a roadtrip, from Chicago to Reading, PA, where the car is sitting now. I guess the project started when i decided to buy the car, by figuring out what i wanted to do with it, and find the parts i wanted. Gathering parts now, to ship with the car ( a LOT of parts!!!!) My dream is to eventually bring the car back to US, and go for a track day together with Mike !! LOL :coolgleamA:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Brock Samson

took me 14 years to get her from a stripped shell with lots of holes in '84 to where she had all the stuffing back inside..
but because i bought a 318 '70 charger $ 500.oo parts car and just swapped in that drivetrain, she was back on the road and driven in a few days while the next decade plus i collected the BB drivetrain, which i finally installed in '99...
that's the short story... and i'm really glad i did it that way, but at the price of these beauties today, that would be impossible now...
that 318 parts car would be approx $8K today... the other $500.oo '69 SE parts car i got the interior and trim from would i guess be a $10K car.

only thing left to do now is a sure grip rear and recover the seats, and the A/C and the...  :lol:

A383Wing

Got my black 66 in 1974....it's still an "on-going" project.

Bryan

superduperbee

javascript:void(0);
brickwallBought my '71 Super Bee in 1990. It sat in storage for 11 years while I collected parts, went racing, got married, had kids, went bankrupt , bought a house and finished 5 other cars. It will finally be finished next springjavascript:void(0);Ray
icon_smile_big

Charger_Croatia

Almost three years now..And I thought it will be much easier when purchased (as a rookie in muscle car project)  :shruggy:
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

AKcharger

1970 - More work than I could ever imagine 17 months cost $16K (I was moving HAD to get it done or loose thousands $$$)
1972 - Much Better condition but still full resto 13 months cost $9K (moved 4 months after that one was done)

dpm68

I got my 68 R/T in '03 and it sat outside in my friend's back yard for a year, and it has now been sitting in pieces in my garage (3 car, thank god) since then. What a fine coat of dust she has! If I get off my ass, I might take a few snaps of it soon and show everyone just how forgotten it looks. Sad.

BlueSS454

I bought my 69 in November of 2001.  It sat untouched in my backyard until September of 2005.  It is now at the point were it can be driven, although I have some minor things to finish up on it.  I have 25 months into it from the time I tore it to pieces to where it has become driveable once again.  FWIW, both my Chevelles took me 2.5 years each to complete, and 6 months of each of those cars was tied up in body shop hell.
Tom Rightler

451-74Charger

6 years and counting
the workshop will be first, then the car.
I am planning on a 3 car "workshop" (the planning dept dont like the word Garage if you know what I mean)

The70RT

Quote from: 451-74Charger on November 13, 2007, 08:56:33 AM
6 years and counting
the workshop will be first, then the car.
I am planning on a 3 car "workshop" (the planning dept dont like the word Garage if you know what I mean)

Around my area they will let you build a garage if you don't have a bunch of cars sitting around.....go figure?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rudyjrusa

got my 1974 charger back in sept 2006 and still working on it - didn't realize how long it takes to buy parts new or used and get time in my busy schedule to work on car - it is also hard in the northeast when winter comes around. 

Doright

Hmmm
71 took 4 months!.... sold long ago just did paint interior and eng
1 st 72 never did restore just rebuilt the engine in it and just drove the heck out of it!!!!!! the best ones!
Current project one of many going all at once
This 72 I bought err some time this year and havnt really started it yet pulled the eng and tranny dissasembled the sunroof and started buying parts Removed the seats the other day to find the Build sheets, yep theywere there in all there deterated condition but they prove its a sunroof car.
Its a true survivore! Blown original engine, wasted original paint totaled original interior and oh its a POS but its mine all mine!

I am hopeing to have it done in acouple years

If any one knows were to get real original 1972 window felts and seals and wipers I would really appreciate the tip (the next really hard to find parts!!! for a 72)
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Silver R/T

probably around 6, collecting all the parts, buying house last year, etc. etc. keeps it off
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722