News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spoiler II Released from Barn Prison - Pics

Started by Aero426, November 08, 2007, 12:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

I've owned this Aero Ford since 1980.  It's the second car I ever owned.   It's been off the road since 1986 or so, and has spent the last 19 years between two storage locations.  It was put into the most recent barn in 1997.   Far too long to sit.   So after building the new garage at home, it was time to bring the car home.   The open bay next to the Daytona is reserved for the Merc.

Went out to the barn a few weeks ago and got the tires aired up.  It's been on the upper floor, all the way in the back against the wall.  Of course all the tires were flat, so we got those aired up.    The car has always started, and I took a battery with me.  It would not crank at the key, but after jumping the solenoid on the fenderwell, after about five short periods of cranking, the thing fired.     It still ran!    We came back Saturday two weeks ago, and here is the car just before we took it out of the barn.

The trans slips pretty bad, but it managed to limp out of the barn under its own power and onto the trailer.  That's the original dealer decal on the decklid.  All original paint. 

Bye bye to the nasty old barn.

I stopped at a friends house on the way home and we gave it a quick wash job.  Before:

The standard Torino and Cyclone front end stops at the hood.    Here you can see the filler panel and extended fenders.  The front bumper is actually a slightly modified rear bumper.  Compare it to the rear photo of the car. 

Below: After a wash it doesn't look too bad:

Another:

Above: you can see the factory cheater rocker panels.  Note the extra long pinchweld lip on the bottom.  The factory re-rolled the stock rocker so it is one inch shallower in depth.  On the race cars, the extra long bottom lip was then cut off which allowed the entire body to sit one inch lower.  Clever.

The 351W mill:

The car needs everything, but it's all there and pretty much rust free as it was a Louisiana car.   Will need a little work in the left rear quarter, but that's about it.  You can still see grease pencil inside the right front wheel well above the tire. 

A long road awaits, but I hope to have it done for Talladega in 2009.

There were 503 Spoiler II's built.  218 are the Dan Gurney Specials like this one.  The rest are Cale Yarborough Specials, white and red. 

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aero426

Thanks!    Forgot to mention now that its home that the Superbird are Daytona are making snide comments about the smelly Ford in their garage. 

pettybird

It can't be that bad--they've spent enough time with that Italian there...

What happened to the story that Mercury ran the cars through twice, to save money?  They'd show NASCAR a batch, take them away, show them the same batch, retagged...was this just folklore?

I remember stories of the European automakers doing that repeatedly to the FIA, and Porsche producing the 25 917/10's for inspection in that long line.

Ghoste

A similar story exists about the Charger 500's.  :shruggy:
Doug, you need a Talladega in that garage now too.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Doug, dude.. that's great. Man, I didn't realize you owned two other aeros.. Wow.. A 'bird and a Spoiler.......  You rock dude...

:2thumbs:   Garage looks great..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

Nice collection of Aero cars you got there :2thumbs:.There was one guy who did post on here that was restoring a Talladega.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22272.0.html

You might say if it wasnt ford advanced development in certain areas .That made it become necessary for Chrysler to step things up on the charger 500 as they did.There wouldnt been a need for winged cars,
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

PocketThunder

Hey Doug now your garage is too small, time to add on two more bays to the side.  :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger1973

Thats a great looking car for a Ford.  I like it.   :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 08, 2007, 12:43:33 AM
Thanks!    Forgot to mention now that its home that the Superbird are Daytona are making snide comments about the smelly Ford in their garage. 
as well they should  ha ha
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 08, 2007, 09:21:39 AM
Hey Doug now your garage is too small, time to add on two more bays to the side.  :scratchchin:

I know.  840 sq ft is as big as the city will allow go on the detached garage.   I do have two more bays attached to the house, but it's never enough.   I felt pretty good about my new garage until my friend just built a 2000 sq ft garage, fully finished and heated inside.  His garage is nice.....  I call it the "Mando", or mandominium. 

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on November 08, 2007, 02:36:31 AM

What happened to the story that Mercury ran the cars through twice, to save money?  They'd show NASCAR a batch, take them away, show them the same batch, retagged...was this just folklore?

I remember stories of the European automakers doing that repeatedly to the FIA, and Porsche producing the 25 917/10's for inspection in that long line.

I have heard both stories.  In the case of the Fords, it pertains to the Talladegas built in Atlanta versus the Spoiler II's built in Ohio.  Either way, there are invoices and paperwork for all those Talladegas showing delivery fuel fills for all of them.  So I assume all 740+ were actually built.  Here's that photo of the 917's in the Porsche courtyard.  Hubba, Hubba!

Aero426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 08, 2007, 08:56:37 AM
You might say if it wasnt ford advanced development in certain areas .That made it become necessary for Chrysler to step things up on the charger 500 as they did.There wouldnt been a need for winged cars,

That's right.   Whether the Mopar folks like them or not, had it not been for the Aero Fords, the wing cars probably would not have happened. 

moparstuart

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 08, 2007, 10:46:50 AM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 08, 2007, 08:56:37 AM

That's right.   Whether the Mopar folks like them or not, had it not been for the Aero Fords, the wing cars probably would not have happened. 
competition alway drives you to do better

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

pettybird

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 08, 2007, 10:33:28 AM
Quote from: pettybird on November 08, 2007, 02:36:31 AM

I have heard both stories.  In the case of the Fords, it pertains to the Talladegas built in Atlanta versus the Spoiler II's built in Ohio.  Either way, there are invoices and paperwork for all those Talladegas showing delivery fuel fills for all of them.  So I assume all 740+ were actually built.  Here's that photo of the 917's in the Porsche courtyard.  Hubba, Hubba!

Porsche called those 917's "secretary cars" because that's who built them.  They originally showed the FIA 25 sets of car parts, with an intent to build, as was standard practice for the day.  FIA, however, was concerned with the cars due to their speed (they were Porsche's all-conquering cars--three straight world manufacturer's titles until the 917 was banned) that they told Porsche that they actually had to have 25 cars built.  The race engineers couldn't possibly handle the load--they were working on the 908's that Porsche was currently campaigning and the working prototypes--there simply weren't enough bodies to build the cars.  Well, there were--Porsche handed wrenches to anyone who could turn them, with the race team and assembly workers as supervisors.  When a car was completed, race engineers would make sure the car would start, engage first, and engage reverse--that's it.  There was no reason to believe that any wiring beyond the starting system was installed, any gauges worked, or that the brake systems were bled.  Porsche called the FIA back, and told them to come look.  The cars are parked as they are for two reasons:  One, as an "F YOU" to the FIA, and two, because squeezed so close together, with the wheels turned, you couldn't really inspect the cars all that closely, let alone test them.  If inspectors wanted to see one drive around, they were free to watch the end cars, which were the well-sorted prototypes.  After the race season, the race team tore every car apart and built them properly...

When the 917's were banned in 1972 in Europe, Porsche redesigned the bodies and crushed the Can-Am circuit here.  The flat-12 engines that made over 700HP naturally aspirated made over 1500HP on short runs in twin turbo form and 1100 HP nominally, making them the most powerful sports cars, ever.  This was the car that Mark Donohue beat the enigneering's Daytona closed course record at Talladega in 1975.

I love Porsche race history...

moparstuart

Brock Samson

thanks for the recap.. racing/competition improved the breed..

pettybird

No problem--and sorry for the thread hijack!  It'll be awesome to see another Spoiler II running around. 

What did you pay for it, by the way?  I never really payed attention to wayback prices on the Ford aeros...  Did you pull it out of the south yourself, or was it already brought up?

Charger_Fan

It's funny that it had the 351W as the original powerplant. You'd think it would have at least come with a 4 barrell 390 as a base engine. :lol:

Cool car, nontheless. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Aero426

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 08, 2007, 02:52:38 PM
It's funny that it had the 351W as the original powerplant. You'd think it would have at least come with a 4 barrell 390 as a base engine. :lol:

Cool car, nontheless. :2thumbs:

With a Spoiler II, you had no option choices.  You got the 290 HP 351W 4bbl, FMX trans and a 3.25 open rear.   More of a touring package.   The Talladega was also a no option car,  but you got the 428CJ, C6 trans and a limited slip rear axle.   Too bad they didn't offer options, but the sole purpose was to get them out the door as fast as possible.. 

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on November 08, 2007, 01:07:33 PM

When the 917's were banned in 1972 in Europe, Porsche redesigned the bodies and crushed the Can-Am circuit here.  The flat-12 engines that made over 700HP naturally aspirated made over 1500HP on short runs in twin turbo form and 1100 HP nominally, making them the most powerful sports cars, ever.  This was the car that Mark Donohue beat the enigneering's Daytona closed course record at Talladega in 1975.

I love Porsche race history...

I just watched a video of the 917 record run at Talladega last night.   Donohue was killed two weeks later.   He beat Foyt's Coyote Indy car record of 217 on that run.   In terms of absolute lap record, the Engineering cars record had already been broken. 

I have a fair amount of 917 models and junk.

69_500

I think that you need to add a Talladega, and a Cale Cyclone to the garage Doug. And while your at it, pick up a 500 as well, so that you can have one of each.  :nana:

I think that is the first time I've ever seen pictures of your Cyclone, I've heard ya talk about it before but never saw a picture. I've seen the two wing cars before, multiple times. Not in a long time, but when I was a bit shorter, and oh say in the 3rd grade or so.

Aero426

I sure wish I could have one of each car.   But I'm lucky to have the ones I do.

PocketThunder

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 08, 2007, 09:18:01 PM
I sure wish I could have one of each car.   But I'm lucky to have the ones I do.

Just like that guy who brought his silver Daytona to the Milwaukee show this summer that was from Oklahoma maybe? he had all 5.  He was fun to talk to.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 09, 2007, 09:36:10 AM

Just like that guy who brought his silver Daytona to the Milwaukee show this summer that was from Oklahoma maybe? he had all 5.  He was fun to talk to.
that would be wayne perkins  my buddy from here in olathe kansas  , he has been a great help to me and my cloning

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on November 09, 2007, 09:53:53 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on November 09, 2007, 09:36:10 AM

that would be wayne perkins  my buddy from here in olathe kansas  , he has been a great help to me and my cloning

Thats right!  Wayne Perkins.  :yesnod:

-thanks. 

moparstuart

yeah before that show i was telling him about you 6cy project and he got a kick out it
  i could wait to get to the show and see you car

i hated missing that show was out of cash

Charger_Fan

Man, having all five would definitely be way cool. :icon_smile_cool: Are they all restored? The man could open his own museum. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 09, 2007, 11:56:47 AM
Man, having all five would definitely be way cool. :icon_smile_cool: Are they all restored? The man could open his own museum. ;D

I'm not sure if any of them are restored  :shruggy:   He may be working on one of them now though, now that i remember talking to him.  Stu?  is he a member here?  I think i asked him but for some reason maybe he doesnt use computers that much.

moparstuart

no you saw the silver hemi daytona he was driving is an old tired restoration needs freshend badly ( hit a deer in the mid 80's and got freshened then) 
his superbird is being restored by curt lawson up your way in minnesota as we speak ( has aways to go ) vit c orange car
  i'm sure you have seen his #99 race car copy (Its a really hemi daytona ) nicely restored   
the 500 he has is a rusty sob  needing restored badly 
  I have never seen his ford or mercury but from what i here they are basket cases too
   i think the mercury came out of a salvage yard and was standing upright on the nose or something at one time ?

Aero426

There are not many folks who have the complete set.   Kudos to Wayne Perkins.   :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 09, 2007, 12:25:01 PM

There are not many folks who have the complete set.   Kudos to Wayne Perkins.   :cheers:
yeah as a post man he didnt have tons of money to get nice ones but at least he now has them and car work slowly on restoring them ,  help's to that he has alway been into them and was smart enought to get them before they dryed up and went out of sight in price.     selling that bent up rusty daytona helped him get the #99 charlie car going .

moparstuart

here is wayne bird  before going off to be restored  ha ha ha

PocketThunder

No Way!  O0 that is groovy man.  I would keep it just like that and drive it.  Just like i do my C500 (because i cant afford a restoration D'oh!)

moparstuart

he did drive it like that for quite awhile  now the the prices are high it was time to restore it
   it is the bro mobile and had fussy shag on the dash and 1 hundred switched

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on November 09, 2007, 04:02:11 PM
he did drive it like that for quite awhile  now the the prices are high it was time to restore it
   it is the bro mobile and had fussy shag on the dash and 1 hundred switched

what is 1 hundred switched?

moparstuart

all kinds of funky switch and air craft looking stuff all over the dash        not as bad as pettybirds 42 car though  LOL

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on November 09, 2007, 04:53:26 PM
  all kinds of funky switch and air craft looking stuff all over the dash        not as bad as pettybirds 42 car though  LOL

oh 100 switches...  :lol:   :lol: 

Ok Doug, Stu and i are done hi-jacking your post.   :icon_smile_big:

Sweet Cyclone you have there :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 09, 2007, 05:09:47 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 09, 2007, 04:53:26 PM

oh 100 switches...  :lol:   :lol: 

Ok Doug, Stu and i are done hi-jacking your post.   :icon_smile_big:

Sweet Cyclone you have there :2thumbs:
sorry doug

69_500

Does anyone own 1 of each of the 6 aero cars Doug? I'm including the King cobra's as the 6th, just curious. I can't think of many more people who have one of each of the 5.

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on November 09, 2007, 09:37:40 PM
Does anyone own 1 of each of the 6 aero cars Doug? I'm including the King cobra's as the 6th, just curious. I can't think of many more people who have one of each of the 5.

Make it the magnificent seven by including a Boss '9.

Of course, with your King Cobra, there can be only three people who can do that...

Aero426

Quote from: 69_500 on November 09, 2007, 09:37:40 PM

Nope, nobody with all six (or seven for that matter).

69_500

Not sure if I would lump the 69 Boss 429 in there, as it wasn't really an Aero car, just the one they stuffed the motor in to get to use it for Nascar. Has a link, but not as far as body goes. Then again The Boss 429 had 2 different engines in 1969. One was an S type, the other a T type.

learical1

Remember the 'squabble' between Ford and NASCAR?  NASCAR said Ford had built enough Talledegas to run it at the 69 Daytona 500, but not enough Boss 429 Mustangs had been built, so Ford had to run the 427 Tunnelport.  Ford was so pissed that they put "Torino Cobra" on the side of the cars instead of "Torino Talladega."  (Talladega race track was owned by Bill France of NASCAR.)  If I remember my dates correctly, it wasn't until April that the 429 was approved, and the Spoiler II debuted at the same race.  That combination won 'out of the box.'  At that race, the Fords all read "Torino Talladega" for the first time.
Bruce

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on November 10, 2007, 08:27:03 AM
Not sure if I would lump the 69 Boss 429 in there, as it wasn't really an Aero car, just the one they stuffed the motor in to get to use it for Nascar. Has a link, but not as far as body goes. Then again The Boss 429 had 2 different engines in 1969. One was an S type, the other a T type.

Eh..I think the Boss 429 belongs more than the '70 Fords, as it was used in racing while the other is a prototype.  Granted, I'd love one of those King Cobras, but I group the Boss cars in because they were another glaring example of how much Ford and Chrysler wanted to win in '69-70. 

Brock Samson

thought you would get a kick out of this photo of the first second gen clay being developed in the dodge styling studio, if i wasn't for the documentation I'd say it was a Torino in the Ford Studio... 

Ghoste

Call me a heretic, but I think if I wanted to include the aero powertrain, I'd stick a Boss 9 in my Talladega and make the purists howl. (leave those Mustangs for the Steve McQueen fans ;))

pettybird

They don't just drop right in...like a hemi in a '66 Dart...

Hella good idea, though, like the guy's (I can't remember his name) Benny Parsons tribute car.  Of course, I didn't take a picture of the car.  I only have the engine shot, and a vid of the car on Aloha Automotive's dyno.

Here's the vid--the car sounds AWESOME.  It made around 644RWHP, too...

Here was a REALLY clean '69 Boss 439 at Colin's Classic Auto.  Aside from the three Daytonas there, this was the car I wanted.  I love Wimbledon White cars, too.  There's a super clean '70 Grabber Blue/white interior (!!?!!) car in town.  I think I'd take the '69 as I like the headlights better, but wow on the blue/white...

Ghoste

Oh, I'm well aware of that (for that matter, the 428 isn't in there with tons of room to spare either), but it's still something I would do before I tried to find room for one of those Falcon go-karts.  :D

pettybird

But they're such pretty Falcons...  One would go so well with my Fairmont-based go karts.

Ghoste

I suppose the sales numbers would speak for themselves in this case.  I saw the Benny Parsons car in one of the magazines (Hot Rod?) recently but living in a Ford town I've been telling my buddies for year that someone needs to do Boss 9 powered Ford aero tribute car, so that Parsons thing is right up my alley I guess.

69_500

I'll have to see how many pictures I can dig up of the 69 Boss 429 that my dad used to have. It was a red, 4 speed car.