News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint bubbled

Started by chargerguy111, November 06, 2007, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerguy111

Just painted a friend's 73 Charger two weeks ago and the paint job came out very nice.However,this past weekend we noticed that the paint bubbled in more than a few places.We took every precaution while painting,down to metal,degreased,no fingerprints.This has never happened before,even using cheap products.On this job we used PPG Concept single stage.We did use a product called Featherfill made by Evercoat.I heard it was an excellent product to adhere to metal.Has anyone else ever had any problems with this product?Thanks!

beedees

sounds like solvent pops.....caused mainly by the surface not being completely dry after degreasing.

daytonalo

I agree , we are very carefull when degressing around body work , it wicks up the solvent

bill440rt

It's also caused by not letting the paint "flash" long enough in between coats. You're applying the next coat too soon without letting the previous one set up long enough. The solvents would not evaporate properly & get trapped underneath the next paint layer. THAT is the primary cause of solvent pop, from what I understand.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MichaelRW

I agree with what Bill440rt said but you stated that the bubbles were in more than a few places. Solvent pop shows up mostly on all the horizontal surfaces because the paint tends to be a little thicker there. Solvent pop is very small bubbles. Did the bubbles happen to pop up where you put the Featherfill? I ask because some non-catalyzed spot putties can cause bubbles.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

daytonalo

Like that old school Nitro Stain !

beedees

Quote from: daytonalo on November 08, 2007, 06:46:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bragging about being an old man.............................like me?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: beedees on November 08, 2007, 07:21:10 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bragging about being an old man.............................like me?

hey i worked at a shop that wanted me to use that crap about 15 years ago and im not old!!....oh wait maybe i am? crap ill be 37 in 2 months :brickwall:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

beedees

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 08, 2007, 07:25:14 PM
Quote from: beedees on November 08, 2007, 07:21:10 PM

hey i worked at a shop that wanted me to use that crap about 15 years ago and im not old!!....oh wait maybe i am? crap ill be 37 in 2 months :brickwall:

You kiddies crack me up. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

67hcode

I've had that happen every time I've used concept. I've sprayed it on 3 or 4 occasions and have yet to use it without issues. I always make sure everything is prepped right and I read and follow the data sheets for whatever I'm working with. In my opinion, it's crap! Don't get me wrong, it buffs out to a great shine and, judging by how hard it is to sand, it should be pretty durable in the long run but lots and lots of extra work to get the job done.

The first time I shot it was on a bike gas tank. No filler on the tank and I waited about 15 minutes after using ppg 330
( wax and grease remover) I think I went a bit too heavy with the first coat and within 10 minutes of spraying it, the whole surface looked like a golfball. little pits everywhere!
I'm just finishing up a car now that had some spots too although not nearly as bad. I was able to sand them out without having to go too deep. I did end up going through in a couple of spots that I had to touch up. To make matters worse, I ran out of paint when I was almost done. Went to have a quart mixed and was told that PPg stopped making the tint required to mix this color in Concept. They discontinued it back in April and still haven't come out with a replacement.
I was able to find a place that had some and got another quart, got it home, sprayed the last panel and noticed that the color was off. Had to go back and have them adjust it and then repainted the last panel.
I'm starting to wonder if anyone has EVER used this stuff with no issues! I definitely won't be using it again.
The local paint store recently stopped selling ppg altogether..said it was getting too expensive and they weren't selling much of it. I wonder if there were other reasons as well