News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'67 Charger in Wisconsin

Started by draftingmonkey, November 05, 2007, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

draftingmonkey

I have a line on a '67 Charger that a Marine stationed out here in SoCal is selling.  It is located back in Elk Mound, WI and I was wondering if anyone back there could check it out for me.  If so let me know.  Also,  what is a fair price for one that includes the following:

318 V8 w/ Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl carb, Edelbrock aluminum intake, Edelbrock Chrome valve covers and air filter, duel exhaust w/ glass packs, Air shocks in the rear, 15 x 8 Craiger SS rims w/ BF goodrich radial T/A's. Runs and sounds good.

Will try to get some photos posted.

Big Sugar

Looks pretty nice !! You may want to check in at www.66-67charger.com in the next couple of days "(we seem to be experiencing a few technical glitches over there  at the moment , But I'm sure we'll be functional shortly)".
By the way nice Charger find....That steering wheel is tres rare , in good shape it'll fetch over a grand on E-Rape.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

draftingmonkey

Here's a couple more pics. If nobody in Wisconsin can check her out just might go ahead anyway for the price.  He's asking $4900.

TruckDriver

I'd go look at it, if it wasn't a 5 hour drive from me. We have a few members in the Minneapolis area that might though. Only about a 20 min. ride for them. Nice looking car for the money :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Musicman

Looks good in the pic's, but you never know... price is right if it's in good shape... If you do get it, loose the air shocks first thing. You'll also want to get yourself registered and on line over at the site Ron mentioned. Guys over there will be an invaluable resource to you, as they have a wealth of information available concerning 1st Gen's.

41husk

Pics can be deceptive, but if its complete with interior intakt, it is worth the asking price.  If it is not complete, first genparts are very hard to find and not cheep!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

draftingmonkey

couple of bigger pics in the interior

6670charger

The car looks decent.  As long as it isn't a rust bomb, $4900 isn't a bad price at all.  I'd definately have someone check it out for you, though.  Especially being a WI car.  I'm from the state myself, but living in KS for the next several months so I won't be able to help you out.  Sorry. 

Eric
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

dodgecharger-fan

Is that engine bay painted black?

Not to say that there's anything wrong with that (there is but I'm not going there) but that does mean it has been worked on.

For that reason alone, you want to have someone check it out before you buy.

Again, I'm not saying that the seller is trying to pull a fast one. Maybe, he doesn't know as it was work done by a previous owner.
Bottom line, no one's going to know unless it gets checked out. Short of poking around with a screwdriver, a half hour with a digital camera should tell you everything you need to know.

As mentioned, if it's complete and you don't find any major rust problems, I think you've got a pretty good deal on your hands.

Good luck!

draftingmonkey

I am trying to get more info on it from the seller.  Don't think he is trying to pull a fast one.  It was probably a project car before he went into the Marines.  The reason he gives for selling it is because he is getting ready to re-enlist and doesn't have time for it.  I can understand because I was in a similar boat many moons ago. 

Hopefully someone in WI can check it out.  I would even be willing to pay for gas for their drive out as I know it ain't getting cheap (3.30/gal for reg out here where I live).

PocketThunder

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on November 06, 2007, 07:47:33 AM
I'd go look at it, if it wasn't a 5 hour drive from me. We have a few members in the Minneapolis area that might though. Only about a 20 min. ride for them. Nice looking car for the money :yesnod:

More like 1 hour 20 minutes, but you were close  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: draftingmonkey on November 06, 2007, 10:30:46 AM
I am trying to get more info on it from the seller.  Don't think he is trying to pull a fast one.  It was probably a project car before he went into the Marines.  The reason he gives for selling it is because he is getting ready to re-enlist and doesn't have time for it.  I can understand because I was in a similar boat many moons ago. 

Hopefully someone in WI can check it out.  I would even be willing to pay for gas for their drive out as I know it ain't getting cheap (3.30/gal for reg out here where I live).

I might be able to go look at it for you D-Monk, i'll be over that way in two weeks for deer hunting.   :2guns:

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

Looks great for the price...
i looked at one oct before last for $14K, i passed because the roof welds had sagged, i hadn't been aware they did that prior.
I'll look for the old post...

Good luck, I like that charger!  :yesnod:

found it..
pictures are kinda weird cause of the lighting but i think you can see the roof is misaligned..
too bad as it was my dream first gen. otherwise...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19981.msg218597.html#msg218597

twenty mike mike

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on November 06, 2007, 09:37:47 AM
Is that engine bay painted black?

Not to say that there's anything wrong with that (there is but I'm not going there) but that does mean it has been worked on.

Not necessarily. Painting the engine bay black was very popular in the late '60s and early '70s. I agree, though...it's just wrong.

draftingmonkey

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 06, 2007, 11:00:00 AM
I might be able to go look at it for you D-Monk, i'll be over that way in two weeks for deer hunting.   :2guns:

Paul
in St. Paul

Thanks for the offer.  If this goes through I may try and head out to pick it up before bad (winter) weather sets in.  Much later and I will have to have it shipped (I wouldn't mind a road trip away from the office about now).
If I get it and it turns out to be a mess   :bawling: , at least I can say I did my part to support out one of the troops   :patriot: (in a financial sort of way)

draftingmonkey

Talked with the owner moments ago.  This is what I found out.  Owner bought car from brother in 2000. Car was repainted in 1999 and needed body work was done at that time (previous owner had already done some restoration).  The speedo and fuel gauge are not hooked up, he stated that he had not got around to it so they may or may not work.  Small 1" tear in center console material otherwise interior is good.  The power steering pump leaks so he pulled the belt and muscled the car about.  The last thing is a crack in the middle of the windshield.

He had checked NADA (so had I) and it listed it at around $8000 low.  He is asking $4900 and there is someone back in WI going to look at it Saturday.  So it sounds like it may need some work but it looks as if for the price it may not be a bad deal. 

Just looking for opinions based on this added info as I am not as familiar with the earlier Chargers and what may need to be done.  I am going to let him know tonight one way or the other.  If yea, then it looks like a road trip.

Thanks for all your input thus far.

James :icon_smile_question:

Musicman

Interior stuff is not an issue... If all you have is a small rip in the center cover, your already way ahead of the game, that's a small piece to repair or replace.... Power Steering Pump issue is just stupid, replace it... gages can be taken care of one way or another, is the EL system working?... windshield crack... as long as it's not the back window your okay. The back windows are tough because of the recurve, it's not something you can just go pick up anywhere. If the body is good, and the paint is good, then that's 2 major expenses you don't have to worry about.
If you want some experienced opinions, then I urge you to log onto the 66-67Charger.com forum and ask there... it's a very active site, full of 1st Gen answers and experience.

Mike

draftingmonkey

Thanks for the reply Mike.  I think I will head over to the mentioned Charger forum and check it out.  I did not think the flaws were major issues.  Now it is just a matter of finalizing the purchase and getting a u-haul trailer lined up if I feel like hauling it back myself.

Thanks for all the help and info from everyone here

James

BMOTOXSTAR

Let us know what happens.  :popcrn:
I was in the same position a year ago with buying a Mopar.
You wanna' make sure that you are making the right choice.
For that price and being solid and clean, that sounds like a good & if you get there and do not like the Charger all you have is travel expenses lost. :Twocents:
Even with the expense of fuel and the cost of hauling it back it sounds worth it to purchase that Charger. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

kylem4711

sound slike a good deal to me dude.

plus its a 318 so it can be a daily driver that wont KILL you in gas. 

do it do it do it.
:2thumbs:

if it was a manual then i would be trying to snipe that myself...
:yesnod:
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

Slantback_66

Quote from: Musicman on November 07, 2007, 04:31:20 PM
... windshield crack... as long as it's not the back window your okay. The back windows are tough because of the recurve, it's not something you can just go pick up anywhere.

Mike

It looks like glass won't be an issue either. You can get all the glass you need for it from PSAuto Glass in Madison, WI
https://www.bserved.com/psautoglass/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=743

John
1966 Dodge Charger 440

Red Ram

If I'm not mistaken...that sterring wheel in that car is fairly rare...recall steering wheel?
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Musicman

Quote from: Slantback_66 on November 08, 2007, 12:55:14 AM

It looks like glass won't be an issue either. You can get all the glass you need for it from PSAuto Glass in Madison, WI
https://www.bserved.com/psautoglass/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=743

That's good news... I wasn't aware that anyone was making the rear glass... Thanks!

6670charger

Window glass isn't really an issue.  And, now there is a new repop windshield gasket out for around $80 instead of over $100.  Just saw it on ebay.

That is a recall steering wheel, and yes, they are somewhat rare. 

Sounds like it may be a decent car for the money.  The main thing to remember about the First Gen Chargers is that they cost a heap to restore.   There's a lot more to these cars than meets the eye.  If this one is in decent shape to begin with, it won't be quite so bad.  There's a ton of chrome on these to keep up, the rotating headlight system can be a nightmare, although there are a few people out there who repair the motors.   The electroluminescent gauge lighting can also be a trick to work on, but there are a few places that restore that.  You can find just about anything you need for the car, and most of the people on the First Gen website, as well as the Yahoo group can answer just about any question you may have, or hook you up with about any service you might need for the car.

Hope it works out for you.  They are a unique and fun car to work on and drive.  I get nothing but good comments on my 66 everywhere I go.    Right now I'm driving mine every day. 

Eric
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

draftingmonkey

:boogie:  Yes,  looks as if the deal is closed.  Am meeting the owner Sunday morning to give him a downpayment after he gets off duty.  Feeling pretty stoked.  May not be able to travel out to pick it up.  Possibly things may be busy next week so I may have to have her transported out here.  Have read good things about Peg Trucking and as they are in Wisconsin, they are already near thew pickup point.

6670 Charger, I understand about lots of chrome.  Used to detail the car I learned to dive in, a '61 Plymouth Fury 4-door, lots or chrome to keep polished and looking good.  As for the work involved, I am also in the middle of the restoration a a '53 jag XK 120M DHC.  Thanks for your concern.  When I run into problems, I know who and where I can go for help.  Appreciate all the things you have told me to keep an eye out for. 

One question, what is this about the rare recall steering wheel.  You have peeked my interest and now please tell me, lest I writhe about in ignorance.

Again.  Thanks to everyone for your help.

James