News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

accelerator cable

Started by pancho13, November 05, 2007, 08:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho13

Does anyone know how the accelerator cable stays inside the pedal? Since
I've replaced the dash but the cable seems to pop out of the hole, like the cable doesn't have enough tension.

beedees

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: C'mon, give us a hint what you are working on.  Offhand, I'd say you forgot the little plastic plug that goes in the accel. pedal arm after you feef the cable in.

pancho13

Thats' the area I'm talking about, where the cable attaches to the acell pedal, on a 72 charger. I didn't see a plastic plug on the cable end or on the pedal!

beedees

I don't about a '72, but on  earlier ones the pedal itself worked against a metal arm that had the hole for the cable shaped kinda like a light bulb. Cable goes in the "glass" part and slides up into the " base" part, then a plastic plug snaps into the "glass" part. Other than that, I don't know......anybody????

GreenMachine

It's the same on '72, a little black plastic plug. Run a ziptie through the hole until you can make a trip to the junkyard, I'm sure that plug was used on most Mopars through many years.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

BlueSS454

This is good to know.  I've had to reset the cable in the pedal arm about a hundred times so far because it keeps popping out everytime I fiddle with the carbureator.
Tom Rightler

gtx6970

if you can't find the plastic plug it's supposed to have (it's now NS1 thru Mopar ), just put a litte dab of black rtv in it.

1969chargerrtse

I just pulled my cable out yesterday. (69) Yes there was a small black plastic plug that is the size of the hole you slid the cable in.  You could probably jam anything in that hole to serve the purpose.  I dropped the snap ring thingy holding the main cable in under my rug.  I had to rip out the center console, sill plate , to pull up the rugs to get that stupid, stupid :rofl: little clip.  The console is still sitting on the garage floor.  Good Luck. :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

pancho13

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post; your help has kept my car alive & my hair on my head!