News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Sears jack system - Anyone try this out?

Started by NYCMille, November 02, 2007, 10:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Hey guys -

Saw this on one of the other forums and wondered if anyone had any experience with it. Looks like it would make like a lot easier.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950187000P?vName=Tools&keyword=lift+secure

BrianShaughnessy

That's a new one on me...    Never heard or saw it before.

$299?    Gotta think about that.   Spent 9X that on my Sears card last month on washer/dryer.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

41husk

I hope thats $900 and not 9k, unless you bought a laundry matt :nana:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BrianShaughnessy

I'm figuring that you're not a math teacher   :slap:

:nana:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Now, now, be nice.  Afterall, if there were no riders for the short bus, where would all the people be who build, sell, drive, and maintain them be?

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on November 02, 2007, 12:49:33 PM
Now, now, be nice.  Afterall, if there were no riders for the short bus, where would all the people be who build, sell, drive, and maintain them be?
camaro owners

41husk

I am the teacher not the student, so I guess that would make me the short bus driver, not the rider :smilielol:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

HITMAN 149

hmmm i'll have to swing buy & check it out???? looks pretty cool!!! good idea!?!?!?
thanks mike!!!!!
:2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on November 02, 2007, 12:58:11 PM
I am the teacher not the student, so I guess that would make me the short bus driver, not the rider :smilielol:
oh sorry must have been a previous rider then

bill440rt

I saw those the the Craftsman catalog as well.

Here's why I'm skeptical of them:
Usually, when working under a car, I like to jack it up from the center & place stands on either side for stability. For example, if I jack up the car from the center of the rear axle I then place stands on either side of the axle or on the either side of the frame. Or, I'll jack up the front under the K-frame & place stands under the control arm or frame rails.

Obviously, this only lets you place ONE stand at a time under the car. So, you can't raise one end of the car at a time & support it safely. Sure, it would work if you have to raise one SIDE or CORNER of the car only, but I'd rather have two stands under the car than just one.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger_Fan

I saw that in the latest catalog they mailed me. To me, it just looks too gimmicky.
I agree with Bill, who would want to jack up one corner of the car at a time? :image_294343:

One thing's for sure, whoever the guy was that shot the idea past whoever it is at Sears that decides which new tool ideas are good ones...sure must have been a fast talker! :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

sick dawg

Quote from: bill440rt on November 02, 2007, 01:46:47 PM
I saw those the the Craftsman catalog as well.

Here's why I'm skeptical of them:
Usually, when working under a car, I like to jack it up from the center & place stands on either side for stability. For example, if I jack up the car from the center of the rear axle I then place stands on either side of the axle or on the either side of the frame. Or, I'll jack up the front under the K-frame & place stands under the control arm or frame rails.

Obviously, this only lets you place ONE stand at a time under the car. So, you can't raise one end of the car at a time & support it safely. Sure, it would work if you have to raise one SIDE or CORNER of the car only, but I'd rather have two stands under the car than just one.
:Twocents:

THAT'S WHAT I DO.  I DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF DOING ONE CORNER AT A TIME. :Twocents:

bull

Looks pretty hoakey to me. Apparently the jack stand is placed into the arm and goes up as you jack, right? And the safety catches make it stay when you lower the jack and leave the stands, but how do you get the safety catches to release when you reverse the process without crawling under the car? I see the description says, "you never have to go under the vehicle to put in a jack stand" but it doesn't say anything about pulling it back out.

I think I'll stick with the old method. I don't know how many people died from cars falling off jack stands last year but I bet it's way less than heart attacks, murders and suicides.

70charger_boy

So, this is what a hijacked thread looks like.....

The70RT

Them jack stands dont look heavy duty. I have truck stands under the car when working on them. I always place the car an two stands at the same time. I think it is a better Idea for subframe cars....or the cheap new ones!
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us