News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ewwwww is this carbon?

Started by AKcharger, October 27, 2007, 09:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Popped the valve covers today and saw all this junk, I don't recall it last time I had them off 2 years ago, but could be wrong. Is that carbon build up or just 150K mile sludge? Don't worry, this is just my "temp" motor I pulled out of an old cordoba just to get me around till the original is done.

Thanks

beedees

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:Can you say..............."sluuuuuuuuuuuudge"? Looks about right for 150k.  Previous owner probably wasn't to conscientious about oil changes. Just make sure oil return holes are open.

70charger_boy

That is good ole engine sludge.  It could've been worse.  Here's the sludge that was in my oil pan

AKcharger

70charger_boy

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 27, 2007, 10:20:08 PM
That is good ole engine sludge.  It could've been worse.  Here's the sludge that was in my oil pan

At least your sludge was still slimy. I had almost an inch in the old 47's pan and it was like clay.

Todd

Todd Wilson

Frankies valve train looked like that when I got him. I drove him a bunch and changed the oil weekly for some time and it eventually cleaned things out. Oil was rotton everytime I changed it. We do have better oils now then in the old days

Todd

70charger_boy

Actually, it was hard as a rock.  It looks slimy, because I poured some oil and gas in there to break it up.

RD

no oil change or he used pennzoil :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

Hey AK, of course now that you have pulled those valve covers off, they're going to leak like a bad cold, right?  ;)  (just yankin' yer chain a bit)

NorwayCharger

Is it the result of diesel oil in a engine with 5000+++ rpm?
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

AKcharger

Quote from: Ghoste on October 28, 2007, 04:19:30 AM
Hey AK, of course now that you have pulled those valve covers off, they're going to leak like a bad cold, right?  ;)  (just yankin' yer chain a bit)
They do...I used the old gaskets  :yesnod: didn't see any sense in getting new ones, it only goes in and out of the garage till I finish my stroker kit