News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemi grind in a wedge?

Started by RD, October 04, 2007, 01:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

i have often heard of individuals taking a hemi cam grind and placing it in their wedge motors, but do not understand why this would be an advantage...

anyone care to provide input on this?  just curious, do not plan on doing it unless there are distinct advantages and it will also be dependent on where and how those advantages are most efficient (i.e. street or strip or full time strip, etc.)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

The original Purple Shaft cams were Street Hemi grinds on BB and SB cams, I think they just picked the Street Hemi grind because the 284°__.474" profile was similar to many aftermarket cams of the time.

Pretty much old school, there's a lot better out there now.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

what about the current hemi grinds that show more lift on intake rather than exhaust?  could these be an advantage in a wedge, if so, why and if not, why not?  thanks.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rolling_Thunder

An actual Hemi camshaft will not work in a wedge motor....      The timing tit on a RB or B block lines up on the #1 lobe i believe while the Hemi shaft it lines up with lobe #3...        You can get a hemi grind put on a RB cam blank -

To answer your question - There are much better cams out there today...     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

the wedge head is set up E_I_I_E_E_I_I_E
the hemi head is set up E_I_E_I_E_I_E_I
so the intake & exhaust lobes reverse on every second cylinder , no wedge will run right with a Hemi cam in it
the Old Hemi grind cams used the hemi lift & duration & overlap but were ground for wedge engines , I have to agree far better cams exist now

RD

so now you see... i dont know hemis for shit... :D

thanks for the edubacation  :coocoo:

dkn1997

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 04, 2007, 03:27:27 PM
The original Purple Shaft cams were Street Hemi grinds on BB and SB cams, I think they just picked the Street Hemi grind because the 284°__.474" profile was similar to many aftermarket cams of the time.

Pretty much old school, there's a lot better out there now.

I took the advice of an old time mopar guy and I run this cam in my 440.  There are better choices, but it's still a good cam. I ran a 13.094 @105 in the 1/4 with it.

This was the combo at the time:

.030 over 440
srp lightweight pistons, 10:1 comp
stock rods
stock stroke forged steel crank
'71 block
346 heads with the bigger valves.  short turns and bowls blended, but nowhere near a full port job, not even gasket matched.
auto with 3000 stall converter and kit
3.55 suregrip, really tall hoosier quick times
stock rear "318" springs, 40 years old.
performer rpm
eddy 750 carb
mp electronic igintion conversion kit w/orange box.

I did basically no tuning that day, only popped the hood to check fluids and had over a 2 second 60 foot.  with a little traction, this cam would have gotten me in the 12's easy with really a "not much more than stock" type build on the motor.  this was all in a 68 charger.

RECHRGED

max

as mentioned there are alot better cams on the market these days.

that's the first cam i ever wiped a lobe on in the 20+ years i have been messing with mopar engines and it wiped out after only a couple of hours of run time :eyes: