News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

suggestions for new exhaust header to tail pipes

Started by charger2fast4u, October 27, 2007, 02:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

soon time for me to start buying the exhaust. i have a 68 charger with a 440 need some suggestions on what to buy. what system will give me the most performance? first what kind of headers should i get who's will give me the most HP gains? there seems to be a debate about some think H pipes are better then X pipes what one is better what size should i get and who carries them? i am thinking about running 2 cherry bomb glasspacks because i like the sound of them and last after the mufflers what should i get to go over the rear axle and go to the tips

mally69

What ever you do GO 3"  exhuast   i have a full mandrel bent pipe that goes clear to the tail and i run  an X-pipe also sounds great i think its in a 69 charger with a 440..

Hot_Rodder

IMO, I don't know what kind of money you are looking to spend but here's one thing to check out:
3" pipes with X pipe cross over
Ceramic coated headers
What make, TTI of course, one easy of installment, two best fit, three unfortanatly not the cheapest but you get what you pay for...
:Twocents:

mally69

Quote from: Hot_Rodder on October 28, 2007, 06:33:38 PM
IMO, I don't know what kind of money you are looking to spend but here's one thing to check out:
3" pipes with X pipe cross over
Ceramic coated headers
What make, TTI of course, one easy of installment, two best fit, three unfortanatly not the cheapest but you get what you pay for...
:Twocents:

:iagree: Go TTI ,,,I bought a set of hooker super comps and their fitment was :down: :fu:

firefighter3931

TTI front to back with an x-pipe is the way to go.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger2fast4u

yea i was thinking of 3'' should i get the 3'' with x pipe? how's TTI'S headers do they give the best performance are there any other good headers from other people

firefighter3931

Quote from: charger2fast4u on October 30, 2007, 06:40:06 AM
yea i was thinking of 3'' should i get the 3'' with x pipe? how's TTI'S headers do they give the best performance are there any other good headers from other people

The TTI's will make as good power as any other header and they will fit much bettter. For a 440ci motor the 17/8in primary tube is plenty unless the engine is an all out race build. Definately go with the x-pipe ! As for sizing....anything under 450hp is OK with 2.5in exhaust so the engine build determines what you need for exhaust. I like the dynomax Ultraflow mufflers. Avoid the chambered flowmaster junk.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargerman68

i got hooker headers ans a summit 2 1/2 exhaust kit install an about an hour no problems....only 50 for the headers on ebay,and 200 for the complete kit from summit.if you are on a limited budget like myself... :Twocents:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

charger2fast4u

right now it's just a stock 440 but when i'm done with it ill be looking for around 600-700HP. will the 3'' make my engine run funny until i start adding more power or will it be fine? i was thinking of getting the dynomax super turbo mufflers that come with the kit but they offer the dynomax ultra flo mufflers to  which ones are better? so the 1 7/8'' headers are good enough to use what HP range would you have to be in to use the 2'' headers? thanks for all the help so far from everyone.

firefighter3931

To answer your qustions on header primary tube diameters.....the 17/8 in tube is good up to the 550hp range or so. The 3in exhaust won't hurt it that much and if you're wanting to build something real big in the future you might as well go with the 3in now and get it over with.:Twocents:

Ron

charger2fast4u

what kind of coating would be best to use on the exhaust nickel  chrome plated, ceramic coated with thermal barrier, or polished ceramic coated with thermal barrier? anyone have pics of any of these finishes

Hot_Rodder

IMO, the ceramic coated, it will help get the heat out of the engine bay, and on down the exhaust system