News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dakota owners, I need some advice

Started by bull, June 15, 2006, 11:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've always had a thing for Dakotas. I bought my first one back in '91 (it was an '89) and now I own a '94 extra cab. They've always been good to me and now that our T&C minivan is about to crap out I'm starting to consider the MOA Dakotas IMO, a 3rd gen Dakota crew cab 4x4. I'd love to get the V8 but with gas the way it is I might stick with the 3.9L, however, I would like to do some towing. My question is which year of the quad cab Dakotas is best? Was it '99 when the quad cab started? I don't like the new body style at all so it's going to be a used pre-'06 if I get one. Which one do you have and/or which one would you get?

70charginglizard

Ive got a 97 dakota (green of coarse  :icon_smile_approve:) which is the body style your looking for. Mine is a 3.9L V6 and I love it. It's a wonderful little truck. I drive it to and from work every day and it's been doing great in the time that I've owned it. But I'll tell you one thing right now Bull....if you plan on doing any kind of hauling or towing with it I would highly recommend you go with the V8 version.
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Heres a teriffic Dakota Forum for you if you want somewhere specifically to go to learn more about these great trucks

http://www.dakotausa.com/

and here's a pic of mine.
70charginglizard

chrisII

from what i have seen the v6 and the v8 got about the same mpg if equaly equiped and eaqualy driven. i had a 92 2wd ext cab 318 and have a 94 v6 ext cab. both 2wd with the same gears and the od auto. the 318 ran about 16 to 17 with an air intake kit and the v6 gets 17 to 18 on avg..for 1 mpg i would take my v8 back any day even if gas hits $4 a gallon. from what ive heard the newer body style gets around the same mpg as the older ones, but i cant say that for sure

OttawaCharger

The 3.9 is terrible on gas  :eyes:
The 4.7 is your best bet for gas mileage and started production in 2000 and if you want the quad cab you're looking at year 2000 and higher since that was the first year.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

I have a 2001 2 wheel drive quad cab with the 4.7, and I just love it. I bought it new, and now have about 150,000 miles on it. It runs as good now as when it was new. I average right around 21 mpg for all my driving. It will do around 23 on a long trip. Plenty of punch, and I towed a 1977 Chrysler New Yorker from Tampa to Tennessee last year without a single hiccup. I towed a Boston Whaler boat from Charleston SC to Tennessee last week. The only problem I have had, except for routine maintenance, is that the driver side window fell off the track and had to be repaired by the dealer. I hope this one lasts for another 150,000 miles, because I am like you and don't like the new body style. I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M, and the Dakota is the vehicle we choose to drive everywhere we go.
pwlynn@att.net
1972 Charger Rallye coupe auto 440 N96, GY9 (1 of 28)
1990 Dakota convertible

Charger1973

My truck is pretty much exactly what I think you are after.  Well except mines a club cab instead of a quad cab.  Its a 2000 V8 (4.7) 4x4.  I have only used it to tow anything once but I pulled a 64 Thunderbird all the way home to Iowa from NYC and had no problems at all.  Its a great truck.  Got around in the snow like it was nothing too.  I have just over 100,000 miles but it still looks and runs like new. 

bull

Thanks for the advice. Is the 4.7L the 318 replacement? Do they still make that engine? Here's my current Dakota. I really like it but we are outgrowing it and I need to haul at least four people all the time.

OttawaCharger

Quote from: bull on June 17, 2006, 01:01:50 PM
Is the 4.7L the 318 replacement? Do they still make that engine?
Yes - when Daimler acquired Chrylser they built the 4.7 to replace the 318 and later replaced the 360 with the 5.7 then finally the 3.9 with a 3.7.
The only way to get new LA motors anymore is to buy a crate engine.
the 4.7 is twice the engine the old 318 was.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

694spdRT

One of my co-workers had a 2001 4wd club cab with the 4.7 and loved it. He would get 17-18mpg overall. He traded last year for the exact same truck in the new body style and is now averaging 15mpg with it. He too prefers the old style truck to the new one too but, he prefers to trade before the miles get too high.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi