News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage Regulator Review:

Started by Captain D, March 02, 2014, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

Last season, to make a long story short, I purchased an electronic voltage regular in a pinch for my 383 4 bbrl BB so that we could attend one last car show event for the year. To be honest, it did its job just fine but I only ran the car with this specific regulator for just a few short days before the 1rst snow (and salt) hit the road and that was it for me. Anyhow, I was just curious to see if there are others on here who may have ran, or still use, this particular voltage regulator:

http://www.mypartsgarage.com/wells-voltage-regulator-vr706.html

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wells-vehicle-electronics-voltage-regulator-vr706/10287612-P?zoneAssigned=1

Based on what I've learned about it so far is:

- It is made by the Wells Electronics Co., located within the USA (non-China-made product),
- Ideal for those with electronic ignition,
- Can be used on a true 69' Charger type alternator, which entails being internally grounded to the casing and ran with only a single field terminal,
- And, I was informed by the Wells Co. that this regulator can withstand up to 72 amps.

With the new season opening soon, I am unsure whether I will actually keep it installed to run for a little while or not. So, to help me make a decision in the long-run, I was simply curious to see your thoughts, opinions, input, feedback, etc. on its overall reliability. As a side note, I'm not overly concerned with 'originality' under the hood (I'm picky on other areas relating to the car, but under the hood is not necessarily one of them,  ;)) on account that if it works and does its job; I'm cool with that.  

Thank you for any replies,
Aaron

Carrnutt

I would be comfortable with a Wells product. Plus, there is the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"  :icon_smile_wink:
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

Captain D

Thanks man for your response,  :2thumbs:. Its good to hear that the Wells Co. is worthwhile having installed. Despite it being a good name overall, there doesn't seem to be many reviews (positive and/or negative) in general on the net that I could find. On the other hand, I suppose no negative reviews is, of course, a good thing,  ;). Perhaps we'll see how mine holds up and I can be the first to write a review on the sale site, lol. 

Best wishes,
Aaron

A383Wing

yea..Wells is a good brand. It may not look like OE, but it will function better than the points style. If yer concerned about the looks, there are "OE looking" electronic styles on ebay for around $24...they look like the bigger points style black box

Captain D

Thanks bro for the response as well. Yeah, after last season - which a greater amount of its time was spent dealing with trying to figure out my alternator/voltage regulator combo issues - if it does its job; I'm happy with it. With all that being said, 'originality' can take a back seat to 'functionality' as far as I'm concerned so that we can spend more time enjoying the car vs. spending a lot of time working on the same issue all over again,  ;).

As a side note, I did have one of those old-school, yet electronic, regulators and it didn't hold up very well. To make a long story short, I was coming back from an event and the male stud on the regulator itself practically exploded while I was driving. Not trying to bash this particular seller, but I feel that it should be noted (so that others don't run the risk of potentially having the same thing happen to them) that he continues to state in his Ebay ad numerous times that, 'he never had a problem with any of his regulators,' these are 'built to last,' these are 'trouble free regulators, and he supposedly 'never had any complaints,' etc. etc. etc...

In reality, when he and I were talking about the issue, he stated that roughly 10 other buyers (not including myself) also recently had the same or similar issues with his regulator. Though he gives a GREAT sales pitch when speaking with him over the phone and in writing, I can't say that I would actually recommend him to others as a seller simply because that's false advertisement to a degree to say that 'nobody has ever had a problem', etc. etc. etc. Yet, he let it slip that many others, including myself, have had similar problems. Anyhow, here was that Ebay ad and seller to be cautious of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Voltage-Regulator-Electronic-Solid-State-Correct-Restoration-Look-/181338384562?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969|Model%3ACharger&hash=item2a389c28b2&vxp=mtr

And lastly, he doesn't say where exactly these are manufactured. Only, "manufactured by a worldwide manufacturer of automotive and heavy equipment electrical components." In essence, that's a lot of words just to say that more than likely they're coming from China, perhaps. Again, not trying to bash this seller and maybe a lot of guys here have had better luck with his, but from my personal experiences with him - I think I'm going to stay clear. If you guys feel that Wells is worthwhile; I definitely trust you and its always a major plus IMO to buy American-made whenever possible,  :cheers:.

Thank you again for your time & input everyone,
Aaron

Ghoste

I've used the same one in my 67 for some time without issue.