News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how keep orignal fuel filter

Started by AmadeusCharger500, October 04, 2007, 07:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I am restoring a 74 sattelite. It had the cannister fuel filter, about the size of a coffee can, attached with a metal strap on the right inner fender. I would like to keep this settup for originality.
Is it possible to replace the filter inside the cannister? If not how do I keep this item in use, or do I just bypass and have it sit there as a museum piece.

Mean 318

IMO i would just replace it and keep the old one! I am sure you could find something similar and paint it up. Sounds like a cool ride!

RD

I may be mistaken, but I never knew of such a vehicle to have a canister fuel filter stock.  Maybe some other 3rd gen guys will chime in.  I may have to check out my 73 chassis service manual, but that just does not sound correct.  Do you happen to have pictures?  I am intrigued indeed.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

AmadeusCharger500

Finally got a new camera.

firefighter3931

Heath, that's not a fuel filter. That is an emissions thingy commonly referred to as a charcoal cannister if i'm not mistaken. It's supposed to recycle fuel vapours and filter them. Every car i've ever seen that was from the "smog" era... has them removed.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

terrible one

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2007, 03:17:34 PM
Heath, that's not a fuel filter. That is an emissions thingy commonly referred to as a charcoal cannister if i'm not mistaken. It's supposed to recycle fuel vapours and filter them. Every car i've ever seen that was from the "smog" era... has them removed.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Mine sure was! (By me of course.)  :icon_smile_cool:

dukeboy_318

1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

AmadeusCharger500

Ok so if it is from the era of controlled emissions,
isn't it plumbed into the return line for the purpose of reallocating fumes that would disperse unused? I guess my next question is should I just rerout the return line bypassing the charcoal cannister, or do most just cap the return line altogether and let those fumes go unused into the air.
Or am I misunderstanding its pupose.

68 RT

One line goes to a vaccum source and the other goes to a vent nipple on the gas tank. It just keeps the gas tank vented without releasing fumes into the atmosphere.   

terrible one

Isn't one line supposed to go to the carb (maybe the vacuum line you were talking about?) so that the vapors get burned off? I seem to remember it this way on my Eldorado. . .

AmadeusCharger500

There were 2 lines coming out of the cannister. One went to a parrallel gas line back to the tank and the other connected to what I though was a vaccuum port on the carb. So you are saying ( I think I understand now) that the cannister is not filtering fumes returning to the tank but rather fumes coming from the tank into the carb. Sounds good so why not keep it hooked up?

dukeboy_318

from what ive been told, its not compatible with most aftermarket carbs and intakes that and its a pwoer robber emmission piece, not needed to run and certainly not needed for power but it does control emmissions, so if your state does emission testing on that year car, dont remove, mine doesnt so  :icon_smile_big:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

AmadeusCharger500

Doesn't the tank still need to be vented in some way to prevent lock up.

Do I have to remove the return line and cap it back at the tank or keep the whole thing together and cap it at the cannister.

Nacho-RT74

not just filter gases like USE gas vapors to the engine. I don't think will hurt keeping it.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

moparguy01

Heath, that's not a fuel filter. That is an emissions thingy commonly referred to as trash can fodder if i'm not mistaken. It's supposed to recycle fuel vapours and filter them. Every car i've ever seen that was from the "smog" era... has them removed.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

There ya go Ron, Fixed it for you.  :2thumbs:

tecmopar

If its a 2 hose canister, one goes back to the tank and the other goes to the vent on the top of the carb. It doesn't hurt performance, either way, its simply there to keep the fumes from being released into the air.

firefighter3931

Quote from: moparguy01 on October 28, 2007, 09:50:55 PM
Heath, that's not a fuel filter. That is an emissions thingy commonly referred to as trash can fodder if i'm not mistaken. It's supposed to recycle fuel vapours and filter them. Every car i've ever seen that was from the "smog" era... has them removed.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

There ya go Ron, Fixed it for you.  :2thumbs:

Rus.....Lmao  :smilielol:

Heath, you could just connect the vent hose from the fuel tank to the cannister if you really want to keep that thingy.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs