News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got the Aluminum DAYTONA WINGS

Started by Daytona Guy, September 29, 2005, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Got the Aluminum DAYTONA WINGS !

The sanding is where they grind off and sand the gates and risers. They look good. They should be packed and ready for shipping on Monday. There are some tools I would use that will make the job easier.

If you use a grinder make sure you keep it lubricated. The foundry uses WD40

There is another tool I use for the wing adjustment part. Buy a Rotary RASP set. You can get them for $5.00 @ Harbor Freight.
There will be more I can share with you all in your e-mails. Have fun.

PocketThunder

Bitchen!! send mine first!!   :icon_smile_big:  just kidding, no rush, i'm just happy to have one.

Thanks again

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

I should buy one and just slap it on my 69 ;)

that'll piss off the purists :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

hotrod98

What timing. The guys are getting their braces this week and their wings next week. Looks like we have our work cut out for us now.
For the guys that don't know the orientation of the brackets, I'm attaching a pic that I borrowed from a website. Hope they don't get upset with me for using their pic here. This is a superbird, but the braces mount the same. Notice that the small braces are broken at a less than 90 degree angle for a reason. The vertical brace is not 90 degrees to the floor. I had to have the fab shop remake them. For some reason they thought that the originals were wrong. They weren't.
I personally think that on the clones, the wing washers shouldn't be necessary. Anyone think otherwise? Let me know.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

bakerhillpins

Forgive my ignorance (on a multitude of issues) with regard to these questions..   ??? ::)

The risers seem to be sandcast with the pitting and such. Is it then the responsibliity of the new owners to fill and sand the wings to get them smooth? I did some alum casting long time ago, high school metal shop to be truthful, and can't recall if the rough surface comes with the method of production?

Second - with regard to the braces.. what are the wing washers exactly?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

hotrod98

To answer for Dane. Dane had these wings cast for us as a favor. He doesn't do this for profit and as such does not finish the wings out. We understood this as part of the deal and are very grateful to Dane for doing this for us. This is a normal process for as cast parts.
We prefer the aluminum wing over the fiberglass versions since they by nature will be more durable. They are slightly heavier than the fiberglass versions but not that much.
The wing washers as I understand it helped to prevent distortion to the quarter panel when bolting the wing down and also helped along with the braces to prevent the collapse of the quarter panel at high speeds (certainly much higher than 100 mph). I haven't determined yet if we need them on the clones. I will probably use them on mine just to be safe. I wonder if my car will do 100 mph?

Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Hey Larry, (hotrod98) thanks for posting the photo, the ones I have may not be digital & I have to go hunting for them.

Bakerhillpins, the red arrow is pointing to the wing washer that hotrod98 described.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bakerhillpins

Guys.. Thanks for the responses.

I figured the casts needed more work and didn't mean to suggest that the parts were leaving something to be desired. :brickwall:   I realize the situation with low volume parts from other hobbies I have.

So would these be skimmed with body filler (correct term please) sanded and painted? (Ok Im getting off topic here - body/paint)

Are the original wings alum? Based upon my reading in this (and the-old) forum I believe they were. I would be worried that the fiberglass would stress and deflect as well.

As far as the washers go. I seems to me that it's a rather large gamble to not put them in. Even at speeds under 100mph think of simply encountering a gust of wind on the highway, the combination of which might result in a 100mph excess. Weigh the costs of the (possibly) unnecessary part to all the rear quarter damage that may result and how much time/effort there will be to fix. With fiberglass parts the chances are problay much greater for deflection and thus would result in transmitting large forces to the quarters.

The wind force might not be that high but consider that the riser is 2.5 foot? Torque = force x distance. Fibreglass or not.

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Daytona Guy

I happen to post the worst pitted one. I will keep that one for me. I think they could have done a little better job, but over all they look good. They said that happens in the cooling proses. Do a little grinding and filling and they are good to go.   I just hope they are not tired of me after having so many wings made. (hotrod98) Thanks for speaking for me, I could not have said it better.

What is so nice about these wings is that you have the right shape to start with. I had to face the fact that there is only one wing that is the best and that is the original. With these you have strength, the "Ting" factor, and you get to say it's aluminum. Original wings are 55 pounds and mine are - uprights 27lbs x2 horizontal 25lbs = 79lbs. So 25lbs different or the equivalent of 3 gallons of gas. It will be up to each person to make their wing what they want. You can even make the ridges in the horizontal wing to make it look like extruded aluminum.

Charger_Fan

Those sure are some sweet looking wings! Congrats to all you new wing recipients. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

cudaken

Pitting look's just like waht was on the OEM Daytona wing I did. Used Evercoat metal to metal to fill the pits. It is a power aluminum with a hardner. Wing is on Dr Bill Holden's Daytona as I miss spell, I did his wing and painted it.

On cleaning up the wing, I would not use a grinder or God for bid WD-40. Being a body man and painter by trade I will tell you WD-40 is evil.

With aluminum being soft I would use 80 to 120 grit on a DA, will cut a little slower than a grinder but marks will not be that deep.

Sorry to buttin again.

By the way, do the repo wings have the line's on top of the ceneter wing like a OEM wing. Can't see when blocked and painted but they where there. Boy I wish the old hard drive had not crashed, had some great PIC of a OEM wing.

Oh, local guy has a cream color Daytona with a white stripe here in IL. He left all the pitts in his wing. Look's like it was shot with a shoot gun. God F--king awful looking I wil add Told me they where all that way, told him I could fix it for him, gave him my number and walked off.

Rather be winged than Blowen, Ken
I am back

BigBlockSam

hi Dane
  the wing looks great. i can't wait to get mine. that picture of the wing washer is a bird the daytona washer is differant. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

xs29j8Bullitt

Looks like I am late to another wing car reproduction party...   :P

What was the selling price for the wings? Were the wing uprights "hollow" inside?   I have a set cast by a friend that are SOLID, and darn heavy!!!  From the above post about the weight of the wing it sounds like these were cast solid as well...

Let me know if you decide to cast more, I might be interested in getting a set...

Allen

xs29j8@charter.net
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Roth68rt

A Janek Wing just showed up on E-Bay, $750.00 buy it now.  Search 1969 Daytona (cause I don't know how to cut and paste). 

Steve

BigBlockSam

here's the link but looks kinda fishy to me. thats too cheap for that wing, theres no picture and the guy has a zero rating. those are three red flags. i wouldn't bid on that unless you can go pickup with money in hand . Rene

**Link Removed**
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Rene,
When I posted the pic of the wing washers I mentioned that it was a superbird.
Do you happen to know why the sb wing washer is made the way that it is?

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hotrod98

It almost looks like the trunk lid would hit it.

Charles Addams

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 29, 2005, 11:54:05 PM
It almost looks like the trunk lid would hit it.
My only guess is that it uses that part of the trunk lip as an extra support for some reason. :ahum:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Daytona Guy

Quote from: cudaken on September 29, 2005, 05:12:43 PM
Pitting looks just like what was on the OEM Daytona wing I did. Used Evercoat metal to metal to fill the pits. It is a power aluminum with a hardener. Wing is on Dr Bill Holden's Daytona as I miss spell, I did his wing and painted it.

On cleaning up the wing, I would not use a grinder or God for bid WD-40. Being a body man and painter by trade I will tell you WD-40 is evil.

Hey man good to hear from you cudaken but I respectfully disagree. As a body guy too, these will need some aggressive grinding at first. If you do not use a lubricant (WD40 is the foundrys lube of choice for best results), and having done these, aluminum is very difficult to grind and sand. Everything you use will clog up and you will be fighting it all the way. Use a grinder and 40 grit, then work your way up. When you are done with the grinding and sanding of the metal, you then clean it with lacquer thinner. BTW, (cudaken) great info on the evercoat metal to metal. One of the things about aluminum is that it hates anything that touches it  - just ask an aircraft painter. Believe it or not but one of the most tallerable applicators to aluminum is a plastic product (resin and plastic) the very ingredients in body filler. I have a wing that is 20 years old and the filler on it is still smooth and solid. If the metal to metal evercoat has any other metal in it other than aluminum (356) it will react over time. The foundry has been giving me my Q's on what works best. Bottom line is do whatever works for you. This is all a learning proses.

cudaken

My self, I be worried the WD-40 would stick in the pours of the wing and not be able to wipe off. Daytona Guy, with the number of wings you have done who am I to say you are wrong. I never worked with a new casting, just a OEM wing. When I was stripping the wing with a DA never had the paper clog with the aluminum.

One of these day's will do one.

Cuda Ken
I am back

daytonalo

BigBlockSam

my neighbor left a message on my answering machine that he has some really friggen heavy packages that where delivered when i was out. Yes! my new wing is here. Rene

Charger_Fan

wingcars6970

Hey they look real good as were on this daytona wing subject .I had found this a while back