News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dana 60 question

Started by dads_69, October 12, 2007, 07:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

I picked up a Dana 60 from a 1990 Dodge truck 3/4 ton. I know somewhere someone here has swapped parts out to make it work in his charger. Axles were changed out to 5 bolt pattern and tubes were shortend. Anyone know who that person was on line here or know of what it takes to make it work in an A body? I spoke with drive train dealer here today, they are doing some research as well, just wanted to get a jump on it is all before they get back to me. I will be using disc brake kit also vs. drum modification.
Thanks Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

daytonalo

I saw that in the aero section awhile back

Daytona R/T SE

I believe that Sunroofsuperbird did that conversion. There was also an article in one of the mopar magazines a few months ago  :shruggy:

dads_69

Thanks Daytona R/T SE. It was Marty who did the conversion to his clone. Now I need to do some more tracking.
Thanks. I never did hear back yet from shop here about my dilemma.
Mark

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: dads_69 on October 13, 2007, 02:57:08 AM
Thanks Daytona R/T SE. It was Marty who did the conversion to his clone. Now I need to do some more tracking.
Thanks. I never did hear back yet from shop here about my dilemma.
Mark

You're welcome  :2thumbs:

For the money, I'm seriously considering one of these for my Daytona Clone:

http://www.magnumforce.com/strange_60.htm

dads_69

New question.....I picked up another Dana 60 tonight. A guy can never have enough. It is a 4.10 as well, but I'm looking for either backing plates with drums or maybe I'll just use a disc brake kit. Anyone know of the good set up for either kit? The Dana 60 I got tonight is a 1978 style with 60 plus thousand miles on it, it works well, I drove the truck to my shop. Its already out of the truck even. I bought it for $100.00. My boss was blown away. He said, how do I sleep at night! Ha-ha......
Thanks for any info.
Mark

Chryco Psycho

I have converted them as well , you need to know the spline count , order the axles & ends , have the car ends tigged onto the tubes with a jig to keep everything in line

Steve P.

Hey Neil, I noticed that you specified  ( TIG ) the ends. Is there a reason NOT to MIG the ends on??  :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dads_69

I contacted DTSCustom today and got know where with them. They kept telling me what I want to do can't be done using a full floater axles in my car. I got tired of arguing with the guy and hung up. Gees, no kidding. I'm not going to use it as a full floater axle in my A body mopar. I need backing plates of some kind for starters and axles, even from a B body so I can have them cut down for my car which an A body. I've called around here where I live in Alaska, gees, what a bunch of knuckle heads in this damn state. Once again, I got know where fast. I have the rear end set up at work on a jig, now the fun part soon as I get the rest of the crap I need to continue. I did ask about custom made axles for my car, the guy said they've never done that, so there goes my confidence in them now!
Thanks      Mark

Steve P.

Give a shout out to Dr. Diff over on Moparts. He can hook you up..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Challenger340

Quote from: Steve P. on October 31, 2007, 11:48:50 AM
Hey Neil, I noticed that you specified ( TIG ) the ends. Is there a reason NOT to MIG the ends on?? :shruggy:

I suspect it's to lessen the heat distortion, or "pull", as it's welded. But I have a good friend chassis guy, who Migs them, long as they're retained in a JIG.
Also, he tacks them up good first, nice & straight, then welds.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Steve P.

:iagree:  This is how my buddy Scotty does them.  So far so good....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

kamkuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 31, 2007, 01:57:24 AM
I have converted them as well , you need to know the spline count , order the axles & ends , have the car ends tigged onto the tubes with a jig to keep everything in line

I agree.  I had mine done for me,   Measure a couple times to ensure that your tubes are the right length for your car.  Weld the ends on straight. Order axles for the right length.   I used brakes from another car with an 8 3/4.

FYI  I cut a set of 8 3/4 ends off an old rusty housing and have them as spares for another dana as needed otherwise strange sells the axle ends.

dads_69

Awesome set up. Thanks for the photos also. I was on the phone earlier w/Moser about my Dana 60 combo. I'll give Strange a shout also. I have shipping to deal with since I'm in Alaska, but I don't care about price of that, just as long as I get what I need for my dana 60.
Thanks ...Mark

Steve P.

Give Dr. Diff a shout as well. He does many of them and ships...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

kamkuda

Quote from: Steve P. on November 01, 2007, 03:44:19 PM

I agree, Dr diff has everything you need and knows Mopars better than anyone.
http://members.aol.com/doctordiff

kamkuda

Just for fun, here is another picture for you. :icon_smile_wink:

squeakfinder

I was just looking at this budget Dana 60 article last night. It doesn't look like they explain what to do for backing plates though.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0704_dana_60_rear_end_build/index.html
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Mike DC

The Strange S-60 might be a better deal if you're gonna want to rebuild/beef up everything in the Dana that you use.  But if you're just trying to make an average Dana 60 physically bolt up under a Mopar then converting a truck rearend is probably still a better deal.

I think you have to get a Mopar-specific Dana casting if you want the factory pinion snubber mount, though.  The truck Danas don't have them. 

kamkuda

Quote from: rotsparts on November 01, 2007, 09:30:06 PM

I was just looking at this budget Dana 60 article last night. It doesn't look like they explain what to do for backing plates though.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0704_dana_60_rear_end_build/index.html

Once you have the mopar ends on the axle tubes, you can use any Mopar Brake backing plate that you would find on a Dana or 8 3/4 rear end.  I think even the 7 1/4 rear end brakes would work.  If you want to use Ford rear Disc Brakes, you can use Ford ends on the housing instead.

squeakfinder

OK.  What is used for the ends? The flanges that the backing plate mount to. Any idea where those could be purchased?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

max

Quote from: kamkuda on November 01, 2007, 07:23:32 PM
Quote from: Steve P. on November 01, 2007, 03:44:19 PM

I agree, Dr diff has everything you need and knows Mopars better than anyone.
http://members.aol.com/doctordiff

:iagree: Cass, knows his stuff and will help anyway he can from just the parts to a complete set up ready to bolt in.

dads_69

I sent the guy an email last night. Hope to hear from him soon. Just got off the phone about another Dana 60 from a 1977 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 rear. 4.10 gears work well. $100.00 for rear end only. Call me lucky. I am going to use the center section and buy rest of the parts that can be had from Strange if I don't hear back from others soon. I only need center section, the rest can be bought separate for under $1100.00 complete. How much easier can they make it for people like us wanting a Dana 60 set up!? I now have three Dana 60's. 2nd is going in my B-body project. 3rd is in the waiting right now for a car.
Thanks for web links.
Mark

kamkuda

Quote from: rotsparts on November 02, 2007, 06:13:44 PM

OK.  What is used for the ends? The flanges that the backing plate mount to. Any idea where those could be purchased?

Here you go...
http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/pdf/086.pdf