News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fire!

Started by Ponch ®, September 29, 2005, 12:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Not to be outdone by other areas' disasters, we now have wildfires going on here in So. Cal. These fires were actually only a couple of miles away from where I live last night, and I could see the flames and the huge cloulds of smoke covering the sky last night.

They've moved south/west, which is bad since theyre heading towards populated areas. A friend called me at 3 am to tell me she was being evacuated from her house, and an aunt's neighborhood is also on alert. Thing is, they are a good 15-20 miles from where the fires originally started. :icon_smile_shock:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5035183/detail.html
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger_Fan

Geez, it seems like some area in California get's hit with fire every year. It's amazing there's any green vegetation left in that state!

I hope it's under control soon & people more won't lose their homes.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 29, 2005, 12:33:01 PM
Geez, it seems like some area in California get's hit with fire every year. It's amazing there's any green vegetation left in that state!

hopefully it wont be as bad as it was 2 years ago, when you could see a fire in pretty much any direction you looked.

I took this with my celly at about 6:30 pm last night from my schools parking structure:

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Ponch ®

about 1 hour later, from the same spot.

its not very good, but you can see the little orange/red spots in the center. It was a lot worse than my celly cam makes it look.

ChargerBill

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 29, 2005, 12:38:01 PMI took this with my celly at about 6:30 pm last night from my schools parking structure:

Never thought I'd see the day when Mojo of all people would say such a cute word as celly - "My pink, fuzzy, wittew celly...I will pet it, and love it, and squeeze it..." An image of Tommy Boy comes to mind... :icon_smile_big:

As far as the fires go...it's not looking good. My aunt is about 20 miles away and says the smoke is real bad. I hope it's under control soon...we don't need MORE displaced Americans.
Life is a highway...

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 29, 2005, 12:33:01 PM

Funny you mention that.  Aside from the Mediterranean, southern California is the only place in the world that natually has chaparral for vegetation.  This is dry brush that grows for 2 to 3 years and burns off naturally, leaving seeds and ash behind that actually nurture regrowth.  The dry Santa Ana winds that come through every late August through September from the Mojave Desert only make it worse.  It's a cycle that, without humans, would see much larger fires year in and year out.  I remember when I moved from Lunada Bay up the Palos Verdes peninsula - my house was between two canyons, and the side of the hill across the street was all black from burned out vegetation.  When all is said and done, we should be okay.  Next up is mudslide season.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory on September 29, 2005, 01:16:19 PM

Funny you mention that.   Aside from the Mediterranean, southern California is the only place in the world that natually has chaparral for vegetation.   This is dry brush that grows for 2 to 3 years and burns off naturally, leaving seeds and ash behind that actually nurture regrowth.   The dry Santa Ana winds that come through every late August through September from the Mojave Desert only make it worse.   It's a cycle that, without humans, would see much larger fires year in and year out.   I remember when I moved from Lunada Bay up the Palos Verdes peninsula - my house was between two canyons, and the side of the hill across the street was all black from burned out vegetation.   When all is said and done, we should be okay.   Next up is mudslide season.

say..you wouldnt be interested in taking in a displaced parakeet, would you?

cuz im not :icon_smile_approve:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 29, 2005, 02:12:33 PM

Snack food for my cats, mmmm.  :D 
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Stormhammer

you know... EastCoastChargers is more than 110% out there fighting those fires with a helicopter

Dale The Bold

Quote from: ChargerBill on September 29, 2005, 12:56:07 PMNever thought I'd see the day when Mojo of all people would say such a cute word as celly - "My pink, fuzzy, wittew celly...I will pet it, and love it, and squeeze it..." An image of Tommy Boy comes to mind... :icon_smile_big:
"You're naughty, I love my little naughty celly....."
**Crunch!**
"Oh-Uuuoogh!!"
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Ponch ®

Quote from: Stormhammer on September 29, 2005, 02:51:36 PM
you know... EastCoastChargers is more than 110% out there fighting those fires with a helicopter

you think?

A couple of these have been flying over my neighborhood since early this morning.

Brock Samson

hold up a sign, maybe he'll land 'n put a blower on yur charger...

Stormhammer

well most people dont realize what EastCoast's job is... lol

Ponch ®

Quote from: Stratocharger on September 29, 2005, 04:06:25 PM
    hold up a sign, maybe he'll land 'n put a blower on yur charger...

id be happy with a decent set of heads and a working 2bbl carb set up  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 29, 2005, 02:12:33 PM
Quote from: Vainglory on September 29, 2005, 01:16:19 PM

Funny you mention that.   Aside from the Mediterranean, southern California is the only place in the world that natually has chaparral for vegetation.   This is dry brush that grows for 2 to 3 years and burns off naturally, leaving seeds and ash behind that actually nurture regrowth.   The dry Santa Ana winds that come through every late August through September from the Mojave Desert only make it worse.   It's a cycle that, without humans, would see much larger fires year in and year out.   I remember when I moved from Lunada Bay up the Palos Verdes peninsula - my house was between two canyons, and the side of the hill across the street was all black from burned out vegetation.   When all is said and done, we should be okay.   Next up is mudslide season.

Man, those birds shit all over the place.  Besides, it would make my cat go crazy.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory on September 29, 2005, 04:29:08 PM

Man, those birds shit all over the place.   Besides, it would make my cat go crazy.

thats why i didnt want it. I think i might be off the hook though.

chrisII

gladd i live here in wisconsin where it just gets cold as heck in winter..but a month or so ago we did have the worlds largest tire fire here in town..about 3 miles from my house.i was told the smoke litearly blacked out the sun over my house.

Charger_Fan

We had a fire on the small mountain by my house on Sept. 9th.

More pics & story here; http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=2164

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

I took these on my way home from work at about 3:30 pm:

it still aint looking too good... :-[

Vainglory, Esq.

Damn.

I was up in Mojo's hood today - scoping out CSUN since I'm taking the LSAT there on Saturday, provided it ain't burned down.  I was on the 405 North right by the Getty when it started to get hot and ashy.  It was like a cloud of ash that I was riding through and it smelled like a barbeque.  Crazy...

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory on September 30, 2005, 12:33:58 AM
Damn.

I was up in Mojo's hood today - scoping out CSUN since I'm taking the LSAT there on Saturday, provided it ain't burned down.  I was on the 405 North right by the Getty when it started to get hot and ashy.  It was like a cloud of ash that I was riding through and it smelled like a barbeque.  Crazy...

heheh...CSUN is too far east to burn down, but they closed the campus tonight and maybe tomorrow due to the poor air quaility. I'd keep checking their site.

I take it you wont be up for some brews tomorrow night? 

bull

Flood, fire and famine. Fun times had by all.

Ponch ®

its "snowing" ashes throughout the Valley. This is what the g-ride looks like right now:

Vainglory, Esq.

Tomorrow night?  No.

The night after?  Come pick me up, 'cuz I'm pulling out the stops!

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory on September 30, 2005, 01:05:13 AM

Come pick me up, 'cuz I'm pulling out the stops!

fookin' a bubba. thats what im talking about.  :punkrocka: :2thumbs:

Drache

This says it all!  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Charger_Fan