News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How could this happen (rust)?

Started by ChargerST, October 26, 2007, 08:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

Take a look and tell why some areas (fenders, wheel wells) of this Charger are rusted so badly and the rest of the car looks pretty good?

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger-318-Auto-Original-Unrestored-Classic_W0QQitemZ260174858654QQihZ016QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PocketThunder

When you drive down salty-sandy roads the tires kick up salt and due to the rotation of the tire it send the salt flying towards the front the front fenders.   :-\
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

those new fenders will fix that up
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

terrible one

Yep, and I'll bet the little inner fender splash shield that keeps stuff from getting thrown into that area is gone on that car too  :yesnod:

Old Moparz

Those areas were actually common & it didn't take long for that kind of rust to happen either. My first '69 Charger had rust repairs done in those places before I bought it in 1981. That's a 12 year old car, not a 39 year old car like now.   ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger1973

Iowa winters are hard on cars.  They salt the roads like crazy around here. 

hutch

If you live near the ocean the salty air is bad as well.  I lived two blocks from the beach in the 80's and after the first year I had rust spots all over my truck.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Charger1973 on October 26, 2007, 11:32:53 AM
Iowa winters are hard on cars.  They salt the roads like crazy around here. 

and about 90% of the time its not even nessasary !! :brickwall: :RantExplode:  pure waste!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Magnumcharger

Quote from: ChargerST on October 26, 2007, 08:36:36 AM
Take a look and tell why some areas (fenders, wheel wells) of this Charger are rusted so badly and the rest of the car looks pretty good?

Obviously, the answer is right there in the picture!

.....The car is sitting on grass!!

Yeah, I know....
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

69charger2002

that car had a BIN of $6500 when first listed. i almost clicked it, but you just don't see fenders like that here in louisiana.. and it scared me what the rest would look like
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

WheresMyCharger

I put new fenders on my '69 in 1975, and the car only had 45,000 miles....New York winters are tough on cars :'( But in those days my old Mopars where my daily drivers.Didn't start putting them away until the early 80's and even then I bought a '69 Charger "winter beater" for $350.
Have you seen my old '69 Charger??
       *XP29H9B324356*

70charger_boy

I'm not a certified Rustologist, but it's an Iowa car that's why it's so rusty.  I bought my Charger and Tempest from Iowa and I only see that kind of rust on Iowa cars.  1hot68 can confirm or deny this, but it's my experience

New Jersey cars have a certain kind of rust, too.

Rhode Island cars rust from the rain

BMOTOXSTAR

Cleveland cars have steel mill & acid rain rust , very nasty. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 26, 2007, 07:34:01 PM
I'm not a certified Rustologist, but it's an Iowa car that's why it's so rusty.  I bought my Charger and Tempest from Iowa and I only see that kind of rust on Iowa cars.  1hot68 can confirm or deny this, but it's my experience

:smilielol:
70 charger boy, You are allright but that new avatar is gay as folk. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger-Bodie

actually the worst state i know of for rust has always been wisconsin until recently , in the last few years iowa started using some liquid crap on the roads , just let me say that whoever thought that corrosive just should be poured on the roads should be force to swim in it!!!! the stuff attacks metal like there is no tomorow!!! :RantExplode:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70charger_boy

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 26, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

actually the worst state i know of for rust has always been wisconsin until recently , in the last few years iowa started using some liquid crap on the roads , just let me say that whoever thought that corrosive just should be poured on the roads should be force to swim in it!!!! the stuff attacks metal like there is no tomorow!!! :RantExplode:

The liquid chemical your talking about is Potasium Acetate.  They spray that crap on airport taxiways and runways.  They say it's safe, but it has to contain some sort of etching chemical, because it eats away the paint job on my planes

hemi-hampton

I think Michigan has more rusty cars then any state. We use lots of salt in the winters. :icon_smile_angry: :'( LEON